Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    M081358 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2006, 05:30 AM
    Featherlite weedeater fuel line
    My fuel line broke on my weedeater. I read another response on how to replace it, but it didn't quite help me (rather mechanically challenged!! ) I took the top screw off the top of the tank to allow me better access. When I was able to see inside the tank, I encountered a piece of line connected to some sort of filter. I found another piece that had a little plastic connector attached. What is that connector for?

Also, why are the two holes on the side of the tank different sizes?

Is there somewhere I can go to view a diagram of how it is supposed to look?

Sorry for the simpleton questions?

Thanks in advance
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2006, 11:04 PM
    There's the one line with the filter ( to filter out trash, and keep it out of the carb ) which feeds fuel to the engine, the other bigger, short and stubby line is the return.
    If you get new line and all... and can't remember which way they hook up, try it one way, if it doesn't work, try it the other.
    rontom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 06:43 AM
    [QUOTE=M081358]My fuel line broke on my weedeater. I read another response on how to replace it, but it didn't quite help me (rather mechanically challenged!! ) I took the top screw off the top of the tank to allow me better access. When I was able to see inside the tank, I encountered a piece of line connected to some sort of filter. I found another piece that had a little plastic connector attached. What is that connector for?

Thanks in advance rontom
    rontom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 06:51 AM
    There was a little green nipple in the gas tank could you awser this one for me "were dose it belong" thanks rontom
    mpevans Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Guy on eBay is selling a great instruction manual on everything you all are asking. I bought his manual, tried it, and followed each step, and it was like the mechanic was standing there telling me everything. Has a materials list and a tools list and a simple, three step process. Price is $5.50, with quick electronic delivery in Word 2000 format. He calls it "Weedeater Poulan Fuel Line Replacement Manual".
    digitalcal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by M081358
    My fuel line broke on my weedeater. I read another response on how to replace it, but it didn't quite help me (rather mechanically challenged!!!!!!!!!!!!) I took the top screw off the top of the tank to allow me better access. When I was able to see inside the tank, I encountered a piece of line connected to some sort of filter. I found another piece that had a little plastic connector attached. What is that connector for?

Thanks in advance
    I ran into this today and this is how I got going again. Note, this starts with the fuel-tank empty.

01.. From the tank, I removed the broken line, its attached fuel filter and the double-ended nipple

02.. I removed the hose-remnant from the lower primer-fitting and cleaned the fitting

03.. I measured a length of new fuel-line to fit from the tank-hole down to the bottom of the tank (lying flat) and took away 1/8" from the length to account for the nipple

04..I cut another length of fuel-line with the tip at a sharp diagonal for threading into the tank thru the smaller hole....I left this section about 9" long because I would be trimming it back later.

05.. I pushed the diagonally-cut hose-end into the smaller tank opening until I could grab the tip with a set of needle-nose pliers.

06.. I pulled the new hose into the tank until I had about 1" pulled out past the filler-port

07..I then cut the diagonal section off, removing all the section that had been crimped by my pliers and slipped the double-ended nipple into that section - where the nipple would be in the tank connecting the external section of hose I'd just pulled in to the section designed to lie inside the tank and draw fuel.

08..I then too the section I cut in step #03 and slipped one end onto the double-ended nipple and attached the fuel-filter to the other end

09..I fed the filter and hose into the tank, ensuring it was not kinked and was lying flat against the tank bottom

10..I then used my needle-nose pliers to pull the exterior section of hose I inserted into the tank in #5 CAREFULLY back out of the tank ( gripping the hose about 3" above where it goes into the tank to avoid damage to part of the line that will remain) until the backside of the connecting nipple was flush against the top of the tank. I again check to make sure my filter/intake is flush against the bottom of the tank.

11.. I then measure the length of the fuel line I just finished drawing back to make sure I have enough to reach the lower fitting at the primer-bulb and I add about 1/2" extra to account for flex. I then cut away the excess including the crimped section I had my needlenose on.

12..I reattach the line to the lower primer-fitting

At this point, I decided to also replace the return-line that leads to the larger hole and attaches to the UPPER primer-bulb fitting. The installation was exactly as steps #4 and #5 above, and cut the line sticking about 1/2" sticking down inside the tank.

I cleaned up, put away my tools, rinsed out the tank with fuel, fulled up and I was back in business for the day.

This may not be the exact "approved" technique, but it did get me going again :-)

**NOTE**

I have seen it posted elsewhere that on some models, the intake and exhaust for the primer bulb are reversed. I tested for this by placing my thumb over one fitting and pumping the primer bulb. If it "sucks" it's the intake and gets the line with the fuel-filter. If it does the opposite - it's the return and gets the return-line that connects to the larger of the two fuel-line hoses.
    digitalcal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mpevans
    Guy on eBay is selling a great instruction manual on everything you all are asking. I bought his manual, tried it, and followed each step, and it was like the mechanic was standing there telling me everything. Has a materials list and a tools list and a simple, three step process. Price is $5.50, with quick electronic delivery in Word 2000 format. He calls it "Weedeater Poulan Fuel Line Replacement Manual".
    This was missing when I took a look, do you have his eBay ID?
    mpevans Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Here you go. This is the PDF document.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Weedeater Fuel Line.pdf (15.2 KB, 19317 views)
    Mickirig1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 04:34 PM

I just did this job on my 18cc Weed Eater today. Big line is return to tank, little is in to carb line. A tiny bit of Vaseline on the line helps it feed better through the tank holes. Wipe it off once you get it in. Pretty much any place that fixes lawn mowers will have the fuel lines. It cost me a big $2 for the lines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

WeedEater FeatherLite [ 5 Answers ]

I have a WeedEater FeatherLite gas trimmer and last weekend it just stopped working as I it was in use. I tried to start it up and the pull string won't move an inch. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Thanks

Featherlite Weedeater [ 2 Answers ]

Hi:I wonder could someone tell me the proper procedure how to install the fuelline and filter inside the fuel tank on my Featherlite Weedeater? The old fuelline is cracked in several places and need to be replaced.It's the fuelline inside the fueltank.really appreciate it. Thanks Slade.

Featherlite weedeater [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has this weedeater and wanting to do something nice for her I was going to us it and weed eat around her place. The thing is this doesn't look like the weedeaters I'm used to I can't find out how to get the bloody line in. My mom not knowing either. I read about it being bump and go,...

Featherlite Plus Weedeater - Line Trimmer [ 1 Answers ]

My trimmer only works if I hold it so that the fuel is up to the top. It appears that a tube should be in the tank to feed the fuel to the engine when the tank is low. What part or parts will I need to fix this and where can I get them? Thanks!

Weedeater featherlite [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change the head. I can't find my manual. I want to put the plastic blades on it. I don't see any bolts or anything to take off. Can someone please help me.

View more questions Search