Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stinky home Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Home sewer smell after rain
    HI, I'm hoping for some advice. When there is a heavy rain we get an awful sewer smell in our home. Initially I noticed it downstairs near the washing machine but with this current rain, it is very strong upstairs in the master bedroom, not as much in the master bath, but extremely strong in the bath next to it. I've been reading the different responses regarding traps. We have a jacuzzi tub in the master bath that we never use... could it be a trap in there? We bathe our son in the other tub and use that bathroom with the strongest smell so I'm less inclined to think it is the trap. I'm at wits end and the odor is disgusting. Our home is only 6 yrs old, we have septic but it has recently been pumped. I look forward to any advice. Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 07:28 PM
    That Jacuzzi that is never used should get a bucket of water every few months so the trap doesn't evaporate. Do all drains act like they should, no chugging or gurgling? I'm thinking you may have a vent stack issue but your drains would be acting up if it's the vent. How is the washer drained into your main sewer line going to the septic? Is there a stand pipe and is it trapped, it needs to be trapped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell in Home [ 9 Answers ]

Sewer gas smell in my home: I seriously need a good plumber to take a few minutes and read this and help me fix this problem. I am pretty good at web searching and I have read every possible article I could find, including answers to simliar questions by other homeowners - and I still can't...

Sewer smell from kitchen/bath after heavy rain [ 5 Answers ]

Every time we get a heavy rain, we get THE nastiest sewer smell from our kitchen sink... it rained last night and this morning, it was coming from the bathroom sink!! We only get the nasty smells after heavy rain... Any suggestions? Oh... and our basement is not flooded nor does it smell down...

Sewer smell in Chicago home [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this website but find it very interesting. I have an old 2-story home in Chicago with a sewer odor in the upstairs bath. I'm pretty sure, after reading some of the posts, that the problem is coming from the roof vent(s). Tom, your advice is awesome. Are you a licensed plumber? Do...

Sewer smell in the home [ 2 Answers ]

What is the sewer gas smell in my house. When you enter the home it smells of sewer. We cannot find any leaks or clogs in the house. It smells when you close up the home for a period or it is more noticeable closed up.

View more questions Search