Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonBurrow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2006, 05:46 AM
    Craftsman Weedeater won't stay running
    I have a convertible craftsman weedeater that has run like a champ - until now! I can get it to run briefly, a few minutes at most, then it dies and will not restart. After reading some similar posts I am beginning to suspect either an in tank filter or the inlet filter on the card
    Sound reasonable?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2006, 08:22 PM
    How old is it? You could replace the fuel lines and in tank fuel filter... if its of some age. Next thing to do is take the carb off (get a new gasket for it) and get a carb kit for it (diapragm/gaskets) and blow it out with carb cleaner and compressed air, and rebuild it using the kit. Also make sure the primer bulb isn't cracked and the airfilter is clean.
    DonBurrow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2006, 10:22 PM
    I tried cleaning everything. It's only 2 years old. I did not put sta-bil in it this year like a moron. It's firing but not starting at all. The lines appear good, I was certain that I was going to find trash in the tank or the carb but could find none, I will try a rebuild kit next. Thanks for the suggestions!
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Any warranty to speak of? Or just went out right before this started happening? Btw, don't resort to trying starting fluid, it'll make them run fast and hot... and sometimes burn the engine up. Deep creep is a good starting fluid for 2 cycles. Has lube in it, so not to burn the engine up. Btw, a good easy to find 2 stroke oil would be poulans 2 cycle oil, it's a synthetic and already has fuel stabilizer in it, so no having to add it extra. Some other brands have stabilizer in it, some don't.. read the bottle to be sure.
    DrRotor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 08:39 AM

This malady is very typical of diapraghm-type carb-equipped power tools. In a high percentage of cases, gasoline (and/or its additives) over time causes the diapraghms to harden thus disabling critical fuel/air sealing within the carb. Result; engine either won't start or runs for just a few seconds. FIX: Replace the carb diapraghms available from several websites. Be gentle, take digital pix as you go to help in reassembly (if you're mechanically challenged) and remember cleanliness is paramount (I work on chopping block paper). I see some good advice from several others, here!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2009, 12:20 AM

I tried cleaning everything. I did not put sta-bil in it this year like a moron. It's firing but not starting at all. I will try a rebuild kit next. Thanks for the suggestions
    Before you get a kit empty the older gas out and get new High test gas and try it then. Theses small carbs are very tight in tolerances of octane etc. Not to mention the added ethanol at many of the pumps. More so then not its filter and octane and pump at the end of that spectrum

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stay or Go? [ 35 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 11 months. I recently discovered that he's been talking to another woman behind my back (the second time in three months and a different woman from the first time). The first time this happened he explained that he was talking to her for a friend. I let it...

Mower won't stay running [ 3 Answers ]

Mower starts but dies in 2 secs. With the air cleaner off I can keep it running by choking it with my hand. Newer briggs 6 hp. Any thoughts please!

Mower won't stay running [ 2 Answers ]

My mother inlaw has a JD riding mower that's about 8 yrs old and has been in the weather for about the last 6 mnths, and it won't stay running unless I put the booster cables on it and jump it from my truck. It will run as long as they are hooked up but the moment I disconnect them it dies.Is this...

Should I stay or should I go? [ 8 Answers ]

I found out about a month and half ago that my boyfriend of 10 months has been cheating with a woman he works with. I must admit I was in the wrong because I found out by snooping through his cell phone records. He was seeing a nurse at the hospital where he works. When I initially found out, I...

How to stay dry [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to no how to stay dry when making love can you please give me the answer

View more questions Search