Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jolene82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 01:32 AM
    Puppy had parvo how long before I can get another?
    My puppy had parvo. I have disinfected the entire house and yard with bleach. How long do I need to wait before I can get another puppy?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 11, 2008, 03:56 AM
    You have to wait a full thirty days after your have lost a dog to parvo in your house, after disinfecting.
    israelissick Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Aug 11, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Actually the parvo virus can live for 2 years. So if you rent I would suggest you move before you get another puppy. It is actually impossible to disinfect a yard, you can't really disinfect dirt or grass or a wooden deck etc. If you want to be safe get an adult dog that won't be susceptible to the virus.
    Brandybell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
    I have also lost my puppy 2days ago to parvo (which at the time I had no idea what it Really was) I was told and have seen on sites that you should wait 9 months to a year before getting a new puppy. If you get a dog that has all its shorts you could sooner but make sure to be resonant on the shorts (once a year). As for your yard I was actually told to put a bleach solution in it ( I guess like watering it). I still don't know a lot about the virus so I am just writing what I have read and what a vet told me.
    Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 04:08 AM
    Disinfecting after Parvo:

# Despite the introduction of new cleaners with all sorts of claims, parvovirus remains virtually impossible to completely remove from an environment. The goal of decontamination is to reduce the number of viral particles to an acceptable level.

# The best and most effective disinfectant against viruses (including parvoviruses) is BLEACH. One part bleach is mixed with 30 parts water and is applied to bowls, floors, surfaces, toys, bedding, and anything contaminated that is colorfast or for which color changes are not important.

Bleach completely kills parvovirus

# Disinfection becomes problematic for non-bleachable surfaces such as carpet or lawn. Outdoors, if good drainage is available, thorough watering down of the area may dilute any virus present. Since carpet is indoors, it may be best to simply wait a good month or so for the virus to die off before allowing any puppies access to the area.
    Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Isrealissick, I don't care where you work. Your post was good information though. I sited a website I couldn't copy at the time and it was:

Home which includes a lot of information that isn't necessary to the post.

If you Google parvovirus you are going to come up with a lot of information that is useful, but you have to sift through it too, unfortunately.

Don't come down on me for my post!!
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Jolene 82... I'm sorry about your puppy, perhaps you could find out from your vet the amount of time you need to wait before getting a new puppy, just to be on the safe side.

They are bound to know ,it is their job.
    israelissick Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Aug 13, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Tickle, I will come down on you when you are giving bad info and putting a puppies life at risk. Just because you found something on a website doesn't mean it is correct.
    Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 04:26 AM
    Hi again isrealissick, 65 year old woman called tickle here, spending many years caring for dogs, cats and other large animals in a farming community is not 'finding things on websites' and 'putting puppies at risk'.

I posted a website where I found my information which we are supposed to do.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Aug 15, 2008, 08:58 PM
    I would suggest getting a slightly older puppy that has had all of its shots. Waiting until the puppy is twelve weeks old and fully vaccinated will save you a lot of trouble, and any more heartache of losing another. I know where you are coming from. I had the same problem not too long ago. I had a dog get sick, about a year before getting the virus. I though I cleaned well enough, bleached enough, waited enough, and when I got another puppy I lost him. I will never again bring home another dog that has not had all 3 of the shots. Please don't make my mistake, a few extra weeks to bring him/her home is not too long to wait in the comparison for the entire lifetime the dog will lose.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Want to be completely safe, don't get a puppy, get a adult dog that has had all it's shots. Shelter are full of older dogs that are waiting for a good home. Puppies always get adopted.

An older dog will have all it's shots, and will in most cases already be fixed, this will save on costs, as the first year is quite expensive with a puppy. Also older dogs are calmer and easier to train.

If you insist on a puppy, check with your vet before considering the purchase of a new puppy in a house that has been infected with parvo.

Good luck and sorry to hear of your loss.
    Merricat Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Aug 17, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Official answer: the parvo virus can live in the environment for up to seven months, longer if it will be frozen (i.e. if you live somewhere where it's going to be snowing/freezing come this winter). That's why we (veterinarians) usually recommend 7 months- 1year wait period.

Yes, diluted bleach will kill the virus, but this can be very hard to do. You would have to bleach EVERY SINGLE thing your dog came into contact with. You can help the process by bleaching obvious things like food and water bowls, bedding, etc. But you're never going to get it all.

If you could adopt an older dog, and one with vaccines already on board, that might help, too. No dog is ever risk free, but the incidence of parvo is very high in very young dogs, immunocompromised dogs, and any age dog if it is unvaccinated. Bringing in an older, vaccinated pet after a decent waiting period (say 6-7 months) would be safe.

I hope this info helps. Beware some of the things you can read on the internet--not all of it is accurate!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Likely the best advice you have received is not to bring another young puppy into that home. In some cases, parvo virus hangs around a long time. I am sure you don't want to go through another puppy getting parvo.

I have a lot more faith in the info at http://www.avma.org/communications/b...o_brochure.asp than Home
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Labman your page can not be found when I clicked on it. Really would like to see what their recommendation is.

A family that I know had a puppy with parvo... I have avoided their house for over 6 months now afraid that I might bring it home with me. I see there is varying opinion's on this thread about when it is safe to be around where the virus has been. I wonder if it is safe to be in their area again.
    shanahgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2010, 10:19 AM
    I got an adult dog that was not vaccinated and it did in fact get parvo. She has since made a complete recovery and after about 5 days of not eating and not drinking for 2 days she recovered just before I was going to start subcutaneous fluid injections for her. I was just given a puppy that had already been infected with the virus and since I have dealt with this with other pups in the past I started injecting fluids on the first day. She is still with me and getting stronger every day. I think she may be on the road to recovery. So here would be the question can I carry the virus to another home. I am a dog trainer and the last thing I would want is for me to infect another household with this nasty nasty virus.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 10:24 AM

YEs you can. And you should start a new thread fpr best results.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

I have a red Doberman puppy with parvo [ 9 Answers ]

I have a puppy with parvo. She is a red Doberman Pinscher named Ruby. She first got the virus when she was 8 weeks old. She was in the hospital for 3 days. I got to take her home just this past Wednesday. She did great! She was eating normal, pooping normal, and had a high energy level. She was...

4lb Lab/pit puppy with Parvo. Very Sad. [ 12 Answers ]

So I have the same story as most of the other Parvo posts on here. Except mine is only four pounds. I love the little guy but I don't know if he's going to make it. I plan to visit him at the vets every day. This all really sucks because Im in the army and just got back recently so moneys kind of...

Parvo Puppy [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I recently bought a Shihtza-poo puppy from a rescue on 21 Apr 06. The rescue stated ,"Animals that go thru this rescue are spay/neutered, brought up to date on their vaccinations, checked for heartworms and parasites, and leave to go to their new homes after our vet tells us they are in...

Parvo Puppy [ 9 Answers ]

My Mom purchased a Yorkie-Poo puppy on Friday April 7th, from a local Breeder. She took him to the vet Monday the 10th and he was given a Clean bill of health, although the Vet was not pleased with the Paperwork provided by the breeder (regarding shots given). On Wed. April 12th, my Mom...

View more questions Search