Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Daladier Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Perminant hair colour removal
    About a month ago,I dyed my hair a permanent black.I now wish to get rid of it,its depressing me!
    Ive heard about bleeching and stripping the hair but I'm abit apprehensive.Im thinking about using Loreal Colour Zap I just have a few enquries!I was wondering if after I use the colour zap,and then re-dye my hair will it return straight to black?Ive been told that once you have had black hair dye on your hair,the only colour it will go when you dye it is black,until it all grows out and there is new undyed hair.
    Sorry if that sounds a little confusing,but any advice would be really great!
    And girls,don't dye your hair black!!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2006, 08:11 AM
    DO NOT do it yourself.
    NEVER use bleech unless you are a professional hairdresser, it could go horribly wrong.
    Ive seen it happen, my friend dyed her hair very dark brown and hated it so she bought the bleech herself - did it - and ended up with literally YELLOW hair.

I use to dyed my hair black and I loved it, but then I had enough of it after being with black hair for years, I fancied going light brown how I am now, but I did it at the hairdressers.

May 16, 2006, 11:50 AM
    I c.Thanks for the info,Im too scared to bleech it anyway!Since you're a post-black head,how did you get rid of yours?I want to dye it a red I previously had,so I need to know what technique to use that will get rid of my black,and then allow me to dye it red without it returning to a black colour!Ive heard that can happen!
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2006, 11:56 AM
    I went to hairdresser.

I usually dye my own hair, but from dark hair I wanted to go light your best bet is the hairdresser.

I hade it red too once, and just to top up the colour that way I used to do it alone never using bleech though and only to go from dark to light = bleech.

So go book yourself a hairdressers appt :) and enjoy

May 16, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Cheers!I best go do that.When you went to the hairdressers though,did they bleech your hair?my hair is already wrecked so I'm really trying to avoid that!
    If I had known black hair would be so much hassle,I wouldn't of bothered!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 16, 2006, 11:52 PM
    If you want to remove the permanent black hair dye from your hair, it will require bleaching or stripping. After bleaching a toner is applied to create a lighter color or give you the color you desire. Permanent hair color removers can be used to strip away hair dyes. When using permanent color removal products, you will end up with a brassy raw orange color that must be re-colored in order to look natural. I don't recommend that you carry out the process at home, go to see a professional to get it correctively colored.

Be sure to apply a deep conditioner designed for chemically treated or damaged hair. Depending on the amount of damage that was done to your hair, you may wish to deep condition more than once a week.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2006, 02:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Daladier
    cheers!I best go do that.When you went to the hairdressers tho,did they bleech your hair?my hair is already wrecked so im really trying to avoid that!
    If I had known black hair would be so much hassle,i wouldnt of bothered!
    Yes they will have to use bleech if you want to go any lighter shade. That's why they use bleech.

But as prettynpetite1 said - buy yourself hair treatment conditioner and use it every time you wash your hair, that way it don't look as damaged.

My hair too is damaged with the amount of hair dyes I've used since the age of 17. What you can also do is trim your hair, if you want too.
    suepeck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 01:19 PM
    Hi can anyone advice me on how to get a permanent red hair dye out of my hair ,I've had it on for the past 7 weeks and want to return to my normal colour which is brown ,I used a wella permanent colour ,any comments will be much appreciated
    Thanks sue
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Sep 14, 2006, 08:50 PM
    Suepeck, you can use a color remover to remove the unwanted red dye, and re-color your hair as you desire. Go to the beauty supply store and look for permanent hair color remover that's best for you. Make sure that you read the directions carefully before you use it.
    HairDyeJunkie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Daladier
    About a month ago,I dyed my hair a permanent black.I now wish to get rid of it,its depressing me!
    Ive heard about bleeching and stripping the hair but im abit apprehensive.Im thinking about using Loreal Colour Zap I just have a few enquries!I was wondering if after i use the colour zap,and then re-dye my hair will it jus return straight to black?Ive been told that once you have had black hair dye on your hair,the only colour it will go when you dye it is black,until it all grows out and there is new undyed hair.
    Sorry if that sounds a little confusing,but any advice would be really great!
    And girls,don't dye your hair black!!!!
    Yeah I've been there many times w/ the black to blue black hair dye. It does lose it's appeal- fast. When I did bleach my black hair it turned red, medium auburn red. I do like red hair -but, NOT on me. Now there are lighteners for dark brown to black hair from Clairol to Loreal. Though IF you dye your hair dark alot like I do you won't get "on the box" results like maybe Natural dark haired women and men may. I have shampooed my hair in clarifying shampoo,Suave is my fave, + Mane & Tail horse shampoo and conditioner,which on the back of the conditioner bottle, says it washing out the effects of bleaches and lighteners,so it must wash out dark hair dyes as well. You can buy Mane & Tail at CVS,Walmart in the pet shampoo aisle,Petsmart in the Horse aisle (yes I am a HUGE horse fan). Plus it's safe for human hair. I've even used Sun In sprays and combined Peroxide and water in a spray bottle and sprayed it on my dark hair to lighten it alittle.
    Bela_QLD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Hi, I myself have had blonde foils for a few years now, and recently dyed it brown after tyring of regrowths and the up keep. I dyed it light brown, when I really wanted dark blonde because it always fades/washes out even though it is permanent. The brown had only been on my hair for under a week, yet I considered using a colour hair removal as I was not happy with the result. But after reading here that the colour removal can make your hair turn orange, I'm thinking its best to wait a few weeks, as the colour will get lighter anyway, as I can see after one wash it has gotten lighter a little bit.
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jun 2, 2008, 06:50 PM
    You Should Have A Professional Strip As Much Black Out As Possible, And Remember It Won't Happen In A Day... you Can Gradually Lighten It But Nothing You Do Will Work With One Application And More Than One Application Will Burn Your Hair And Turn It To Mush... we Call It Hydrolized... you Will So Regret It If You Ruin Your Hair... I've Seen Grown Wemon Bawl For Days Over Bad Color Blunders!
    harrietyyy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HairDyeJunkie View Post
    Yeah I've been there many times w/ the black to blue black hair dye. It does lose it's appeal- fast. When I did bleach my black hair it turned red, medium auburn red. I do like red hair -but, NOT on me. Now there are lighteners for dark brown to black hair from Clairol to Loreal. Though IF you dye your hair dark alot like I do you won't get "on the box" results like maybe Natural dark haired women and men may. I have shampooed my hair in clarifying shampoo,Suave is my fave, + Mane & Tail horse shampoo and conditioner,which on the back of the conditioner bottle, says it washing out the effects of bleaches and lighteners,so it must wash out dark hair dyes as well. You can buy Mane & Tail at CVS,Walmart in the pet shampoo aisle,Petsmart in the Horse aisle (yes I am a HUGE horse fan). Plus it's safe for human hair. I've even used Sun In sprays and combined Peroxide and water in a spray bottle and sprayed it on my dark hair to lighten it alittle.

Hey, I have black hair and I'm desbrately trying to get rid of it, but haven't got the money to get it done professional, and don't want to really badly damage it... but wondered did the peroxide and water in a bottle work?
    I might try that.
    asphaltangel23 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2009, 08:54 PM

You can not! Use color to remove color.. and black is the hardest.. the only thing you can do is 1. "strip: the hair which means bleach it and dye it back your natural color.. (which can be hard on your hair depending what kind of condition it is in) 2. Let it grow out.. That is the hardest color/black and red to remove. (Im a hairdresser) But to get by maybe you can go with some highlights to lighten it up a little :)
    leira Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 02:52 PM
    omg this happened to me too,I hate to say it but nothings working for me.nut the more I sit in the sun light it does lightin up just a little bit=/ I also re-dyed it myself it did lighten up a tiny bit=/ so now its like dark dark brown(mine was pro.died) =((((((((( hope that helps=)):(
    rosanna-hope Posts: 109, Reputation: 9

Mar 3, 2010, 01:41 PM

Being out in the sun really helped mine, it was permanent jet black and after 2 days of skiing it was already chcolate brown because we were so high up and the sun was on it most of the day..
    um26 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HairDyeJunkie View Post
    Hi just wondering how well or IF the peroxide and water spray worked in lightening? Also sun-in? I considered that one too, I don't care if my hair turns orange, I can then dye it to a brown ANYTHING BUT BLACK!
    krisd88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2010, 03:08 PM
    I have been every color in the rainbow and then some!! ;)
    GO SEEK A PROFESSIONAL HAIR DRESSER. FIND ONE THAT SPECIALIZES IN COLOR/BLEACH/AND "PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS". I used to do hair for a living. Many years ago. I know enough to know not do these sort of hair reversals at home. I recommend really seeking out and finding someone that is "AWESOME with Hair color". You might pay more... but it's your hair!! If you have long hair and you do it yourself or go to someone that does not know what they are doing - I guarantee you will have short hair by the time you are done. A lot of Hollywood stars go from dark (black even ) to light blond. It's a process though. Steps. DO NOT THROW BLEACH ON YOUR HAIR. Your hair will either break off or turn pretty much any color. There is more to BLACK then what we think. Do you have any red undertones? Is it a dull black. A girl in beauty college had her hair colored black and with bleach on top of it : Her hair turned a teal green. I have had my hair over processed by a salon. Be careful... go to someone you trust and know can work with what you have. (and will work to keep it healthy and minimal to no breakage ) Again, you may spend more - but the results will be successful. Star using a good moisturizer for your hair. Leave in conditioners. Stay out of harsh water and the sun. If you do - then use a leave in conditioner to protect your hair. I use OLIVE OIL in my hair - when I am home for the day. I hope this helps someone... Again PPPPPLEASE go seek a professional hair color expert. ;) A lot of times a friend of a friend will know of someone. Or if I see someone's hair that I love, I ask who they go to. You can go in and consultation for free.
    bethlouise Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 06:27 AM
    I've got jet black hair and want to go hot pink... so need to bleech... ive brought 'colourB4' but don't know what to odo :/ I don't reaslly have the money to go professional but need to go blonde :-S
    carla12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 05:06 AM
    Hi I have jet black hair but I am a natural blonde and I used a hair colour remover yesterday and the top of my hair is a lightish copper colour and towards the end is still black. Would you recommend I do another hair colour removal tomorrow why I have left it a day ?

Thanks carla xx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! I hate my new hair dyed colour! [ 7 Answers ]

Please can someone help me!! I dyed my hair this afternoon to a dark browny colour and at first I liked it but after a wile I saw it was just awful!! Its made me cry for ages because of it and I really need someone's help! I've been looking on the internet and people are saying I shouldn't try...

Dress Colour for Hair Colour? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, my name's Michelle, and I have no idea what colour dress looks good on me. I have long (longer than shoulder-length) straight blonde hair, and pale blue eyes. I'm tanned, but not too tanned, and I'm average weight. I was wondering if there's any colour scheme or something to figure out what...

Permanent hair colour... oops... [ 3 Answers ]

:rolleyes: hi all... I have naturally blonde hair and wanted a change so I got a brown hair colour not realising it was permanent. Yeah silly me... )Blonde:confused: ), I liked it as it was quite a deep brown, but now it's fading and I would really like it to be back to blonde again( I have a...

Need some help with hair colour. [ 3 Answers ]

I dyed my hair about 8 weeks ago with loreal feria 3D colour ( No45 French Roast) Dark Golden Brown to get highlights out of my hair which worked fine but the colour has faded a little but hair is still quite browny/gingery, I wanted to know what colour I could use to tone down the redness as I'm...

Hair colour change after death [ 0 Answers ]

My grandmother died at the age of seventy - nine three years ago. When she was buried her hair was white. It is obligatory in Greece ,where I live ,that the dead should be exhumated after three years of their burial. Last Monday, 11 July, 2005 after the macabre scene of the exhumation my mother and...

View more questions Search