Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akhatri Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Porch light does not work
    Hi:
    My porch light suddenly does not work at all. I have tested the switch, the bulb and the fixture seaparately and they all are good. I checked the switch with power on with my neon tester and both the live and neutral light up the tester. I disconnected the cable going to the fixture at the switch and inserted the fiture directly to the incoming cable and it works fine. Does that mean my house wiring is faulty? This is original wiring since the house was built over 20 years ago and has never been tamperered with? Can the cable become faulty although it is behind the walls?

Also if it is the cable that is faulty is it an expensive job to get it replaced since it would require tearing down the walls?

I would apprecaite any suggestions.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Unlikely to be the wiring. At 20 years the wiring is still in its adolescence. Replace the switch.

Aug 5, 2008, 05:42 AM
    I did replace the switch but it gave the same symptoms i.e. no light and the live and neutral wires both showed voltages at the switch end and at the fixture. The only time the light works is when I completely bypass the original cable and connect a different cable to try.
    ducsauce Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2008, 08:27 AM
    So are you saying you think the switch leg is bad? The wiring from the switch to the light? One way you could test that theory is to completely disconnect and isolate it from the power source and other connections whether it comes hot from the switch (normally) or hot from the light to the switch. Twist the hot and neutral together at one end (either the switch or the light) and then go to the other end and test for continuity with a multimeter. Since they are tied together you should have continuity. If not, you know you have an open wire somewhere.
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Let's start with the basic stuff here. First, a switch does not use Neutral. It for an hot wires only.

Doy you have a voltmeter? If not, get one.

Set the meter one step up from 120 VAC. With the switch OFF, set the black probe on the lower screw and the Red probe on the upper screw. What voltage do you see on the meter. Next flip the switch ON, now what voltage do you see on the meter?

At the lamp, with the switch on, put the black probe on the base knob (centered inside the bulb socket and the red probe on the threads for the bulb. What voltage do you see?

Please return here with the answers.

Aug 5, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Thank you all for your help My light is working now. The problem was a loose connection at the junction box that connected two lights, one at the porch and the second above the garage door. Tightening the connections fixed the problem. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Light Does Not Work [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling fan with 4 lights. One of the bulbs crackled a few times, popped and burned out. I replaced the bulb, but the new ones (I've tried several) do not work. Is there some kind of short in that receptacle? If so, can it most likely be fixed? Or, do I need to replace the entire...

Light Switch won't work, light is burning [ 3 Answers ]

I walked into my house and turned on the kitchen overhead light. A loud electrical pop went off and the light blew. It did not blow the fuse but the light cannot be turned off now. Is the switch bad?

Hampton Bay Lighting - Upper Light Does Not Work But Low Light Does [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Fan that has a fan, upper lighting and lower lighting with a remote model UC7078T. The remote works for the fan and lower lighting but not the upper lighting. This means the remote and fan are on the same frequency. I've confirmed that the bulbs are all good. Can't find a...

Hampton Bay Porch Light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay light that has curved glass and I need to know where I can purchase the glass.

View more questions Search