Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arpeggio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Excrutiating ingrown hair in my armpit
    I have what I believe to be an ingrown hair in my left armpit. It has been there for about a week. Every day it gets closer to the surface. It is extremely painful. Because it is so large, there were several hairs near what looked to be soon becoming the head. My husband plucked them, hoping that they would create a quick escape route for this horrible knot. It didn't help. Today I had him poke it with a sterilized needle for the same reason. Although he squeezed it some, it is still no where near coming out. It has a hard core that he felts with the needle.

I used a cold compress a few days ago to try to dull the pain. Today I just had to shave. I couldn't take the rest of the stubble any longer. I used the mineral salt deoderant instead of my regular. I am using a heating pad today, because I just can't take it any more. I feel like I should have a sling on to keep my arm up over my head.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get it to come up to the surface more quickly? This is like eight days! I know when it was caused. I shaved in the shower and afterward I felt like I had a severe razor burn on that side.

I need help!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Use warm compresses to bring this to a head. Using cold compresses did nothing for it. The best thing to do (although I have NO idea how you could do this) would be to soak your underarm in warm salt water for 20 minutes. Salt causes things to be drawn out of the skin. I do that with splinters and they are easily removed. Try warm compresses with lots of salt on the cloth that is wet instead of just moist. Just regular salt - nothing special needed.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Firstly, unless you have an autoclave at home, the needle was not sterile. This method easily introduces infection.

Now, with that said, if it is that painful, it is time to have it checked out by a medical professional. The axillary area (armpit) is notorious for MRSA infections. This needs to be lanced and cultured to see if it is an infection and if antibiotics need to be started.
    waterwoman Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 01:59 AM
    Agree with above answer by L & D nurse. This could be an abscess forming in your armpit. Use hot wet compresses under the arm. This will need lancing by your doctor. Do not try this yourself, and, do not put "sterilized" needle into this area that is infected. You will only make it worse. MRSA is on the rise, and this needs to be cultured and treated with antibiotics. OB/GYN retired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to care for armpit hair? [ 8 Answers ]

I shave, so my armpit hair grows so quickly and very dense. Even after shaving it's not baby skin soft, or 100% gone. What is the best way to care for armpit hair? And is there a way to leave the armpit soft, and bare after shaving? Thank you

Ingrown hair on armpit [ 1 Answers ]

I found a lump on my armpit and its so sore that I can not even move my arm up and down,and when I do it bruns like heck,I went to the doctor but the invection pill helped a little and I need it gone by next weekend is there anything I can buy over the canter at a drugstore to get rid of the burn...

Armpit hair [ 8 Answers ]

My armpits are evil. I shave them and no joke, 5 hours later there's friggen prickles... like WTH. I just shaved them eysterday and there are prickles already! No other part of my body does this except my armpits! What can I do to stop like this rapid growth of hair -.- I'm sure other women...

View more questions Search