Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaksnip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 02:55 PM
    What kind of spider is this?
    [PICTURE ATTACHED]

This is the strangest thing I have ever seen... It is a 4-legged spider (spins webs and everything), so I'm guessing it must be mutated or injured somehow... But I can't tell what species it actually is.

It's fairly aggressive (bit my grilfriend!), about 1/4 inch in length, with a light, honey-colored head, and large, yellowish-white abdomen with a dark spot that seems to be directly on the spinneret. It also has two asymmetrical light brown spots on its belly, but they don't seem to be special markings; maybe just the spider equivalent of freckles or moles.

There are only four legs, and they are also light colored, with slightly darker bands at the joints. It is definitely a web spinner -- it hung from its web each time I tried to knock it off the lid of the container it's in, but I haven't observed it using the web as anything other than a safety line.

So, first question is, should my grilfriend be at the doctor's office right now? And second question is, what the hell is this thing?
    Attached Images

N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Its not a spider they have at least 6 legs
    I have seen them before but don't know what they are.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 15, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Actually, all spiders have eight legs (they're not insects). If it is a spider, some legs may be in disguise (there's a spider that looks just like an ant at first, 'hiding' 2 legs). But mutation is about all I could come up with for only looking like it has 4. (You photo was enlarged a bit too much and hides detail.)
    Try these links: Cornell Entomology at Ithaca - Spider Outreach

University of Kentucky Entomology: ENTfacts

-
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Jul 29, 2008, 12:43 AM
    Yeah, it's got to be a spider. Can't say why you saw only 4 legs. But I recognize it as a spider from the typical cephalothorax and abdomen shape.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Jul 29, 2008, 12:57 AM
    Regarding the hospital question... By this time, you no doubt have figured out whether your girlfriend needs to see a doctor.

All spiders have venom, but not all spiders can bite or want to bite a human. Some spiders are more dangerous than others. The black widow and the brown recluse being two of the more notorious. This does not appear to be either of these species.

Common reactions range range from a large itchy bump (=slightly allergic), that can sometimes get necrotic, to no reaction at all. Except there are some individuals who are seriously allergic (=anaphylactic). Anaphylaxis is serious. You would have discovered if your girlfriend was seriously allergic by now. If you react to a bite or sting systemically, swelling in other body parts, especially of the tongue or face, then it just might be time to see a doctor.
    4leggedspider Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2009, 10:13 PM
    We found a four legged spider too. It looks very similar to the one you posted.

I tried to take the best photos I could, but it was running around, so it very hard. The spider clearly only has 4 legs and no disguised legs. When picking it up it does spin web back down to the floor, so it's definitely a spider.

If you look closely though, it appears that the first four legs are broken off or missing. I suppose either this must be a mutation, or the legs have broken off.

Does anyone know if spiders fight each other and break off each other's front legs?
    Attached Images

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 04:34 AM
    Both sets of photos apparently show spiders with missing legs. The symmetry is the only strange part. Note in both sets the space on the cephalothorax for two more pairs of legs. The second set clearly shows stumps at those spaces.

What pulled the spiders' legs off is unanswerable, as it could have been predators, accidents, or even mean children with a lot of guts.
    4leggedspider Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 07:38 PM
    After looking into this more, there are some peculiarities;

1) These spiders with 4 legs are they same type of spider with same body type. They also have the same legs completely missing at the same joint - no partially damaged or missing legs.

2) The spider we found was not pulled apart by kids.

3) There does not seem to be any other insect or spider that would not only be strong enough to pull 4 front legs off, but also do so without killing the spider.

At this point, I'm starting to think it may be a genetic defect in these types of spiders that either causes these 4 front legs to not grow, or results in them falling off.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 23, 2009, 02:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 4leggedspider View Post
    At this point, I'm starting to think it may be a genetic defect in these types of spiders that either causes these 4 front legs to not grow, or results in them falling off.
    You don't live near Chernobyl, do you? (Sorry, got to stay certified as a smart-aleck)

Birth defects is a possibility, particularly since your photo shows definite stubs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

MUST know what kind of spider this is [ 9 Answers ]

I have got to figure out what kind of spider this is. I live in north Georgia and every one I ask has no idea what kid of spider is surrounding my porches. It's brown with yellow stripes on its legs with a black and yellow triangle on its back. Please give any info you can!! Thanks! 4049 ...

Another what kind of spider ? [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of spider is this? It's on our patio outside. http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/hdawson1/spider.jpg

What kind of spider is this? [ 4 Answers ]

I got two of these in my backyard. I've done some research but can't seem to find any spider that looks like this. I'm thinking it's some type of orb-weaver because it does spin a web in a circular pattern. Also, is it poisonous? If so, how potent is the venom towards people and dogs?

What kind of spider [ 1 Answers ]

We found a huge spider with a white sack attached to it. When we killed it, goo squished out. Do you know what kind of spider this is and is it poisonous? Also, was the spider going to have babies? Is that what the white thing was?

What kind of spider is this? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi can anyone please help me to ID this spider that I caught in my house its huge it could be a giant house spider or a male hobo spider. I'm not sure though I would be gratefull for a second opinion.

View more questions Search