Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princess1954 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Gator bites
    On our boiler we are trying to change the copper pipes. Can we use gator bites elbow connectors where we connect the copper together? With the boiler heater water getting really hot, Will the gator bites work? Or can we use something else to connect these pipes without soldering? Please help. Thank You princess1954
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 11:04 PM
    I think you are talking about "SharkBite" fittings. If so, than they are approved in So.California for use for hot and cold water installations.

They also sell these fittings in plastic. For your installation - I would stay away from plastic. Use all-brass fittings.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 24, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by princess1954
    on our boiler we are trying to change the copper pipes. can we use gator bites elbow connectors where we connect the copper together? with the boiler heater water getting really hot, Will the gator bites work? Or can we use something else to connect these pipes without soldering? please help. thank You princess1954
    Milo's correct. They are called "Sharkbite" and are solderless connections. (See image). Good luck, Tom
    merrimackmike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 01:20 PM
    "Shark Bites" are sold at Home Depot - made of brass.
    Lowe’s sells "gator bite" which is a similar product made by different manufacturer.
    Lowe's also sells similar product made my “Watts Regulator".

The problem with using “Shark Bites” for a boiler is that they restrict the water flow, the inside diameter of a ˝ inch Shark Bite connector is much smaller than that of the inside diameter of a ˝” pipe.

I think that the Watts Regulator brand from Lowe’s is the only one that does not restrict the flow – it is a much bigger connector (or maybe it is the Gator Bite).
    You really do not want to use anything that reduces the flow of water especially if it is for a closed loop heating system.

Both Shark Bite and the Watts regulator brand are rated for 180 degrees so they will work fine around a boiler.

By the way I am just a homeowner, I just happen to be looking into using these types of connectors too, and thought I would share what I found out so far.
    chedricjordan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Just so every one knows Princess is right they are gator bites there are also shark bites and pirrahna bites.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 20, 2010, 02:07 PM

Thank you ChedricJordan... we all appreciate your confirmation !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gator pitbull [ 26 Answers ]

I am wanting any information on gator pitbulls. My niece wants one.

Colby, honeybunch and gator lines [ 3 Answers ]

How do I tell if dog has good blood line. Informed that puppies top line is colby and bottom is honeybunch and gator. Have been doing lot of reading but confusing myself. Is this good or bad?

The Cajun and his Gator [ 4 Answers ]

A Cajun walks into a bar with A pet alligator by his side. He puts the alligator up on the bar. He turns to the astonished patrons. 'I'll make you a deal. I'll open this alligator's mouth and place my manhood inside. Then the gator will close his Mouth for one minute. 'Then...

Oh boy! She bites [ 18 Answers ]

Hi people I been going through the answers & find them very sensible Hope someone will care to put some sense intothis one too There's a girl in my collg I was sending & recievin mails anonymously First she didn't reply to my mails But I devised some smart mails to make her do so We were...

Dog Bites my mom [ 1 Answers ]

HI my name is Scooby "D" and as U can see I'm a very cute wiener dog I also have a sister Forest Gump we look alike but I don't bite unike my sis Forest . Anyhows I just wanted to say hello. R there... I had to leave my2 yr old forest at my sis house 4 about 7 months when i moved in with my sis...

View more questions Search