Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EGC Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Maytag Refrigerator not cooling but freezer is
    I have a Maytag side by side and the refrigerator isn't cooling. The freezer is cold but has a big icebuildup in the bottom. Also the icemaker is wooring poorly and the spindle thing is frozen in. I checked the fan and it is working. I emptied everything out last night and let it all thaw out. Going to check it later today to see if it works. Any ideas what cause the fridge not to cool or the icebuilup in the freezer?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 02:33 PM
    The defrost timer switch is the culprit here. You need a new one if you don't want to keep defrosting the machine every other day.

Jul 23, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Where is the defrost located?

Jul 23, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Where is the defrost timer switch located located?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 05:07 AM
    The switch is probably in the computer motherboard (if your machine is newer) for the fridge and needs to be professionally replaced. If you don't know where to find it, better to have a professional get the part and install it for you. Be sure you are home at the time and watch the repairdude very carefully so you can replace it the next time your fridge does this. The defrost timer switch is usually the first thing to go in a side by side. I had to replace one in my side by side twice. Now I gave up side by sides and have an old fashioned top and bottom kind.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Look for defrost timer, probably be a black box about 2" square, have 2-4 wires to it and be held in place with two small screws. You will know it when you see it. It will have a hole in center of box in which will be the end of a shaft. Shaft will have a slot for screwdriver. Slot will be such that you can only turn it clockwise. Turn about 1/4 turn. Should feel clicking. If this temporarily solves problem, replace defrost timer. Available at most appliance parts stores. Defrost timer most likely in compressor compartment but can be anywhere. Some models in the past have combined with ice maker motor. Try to obtain wiring schematic for you model.
    sidebyside Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 08:21 AM

Freezer side runs all the time

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag refrigerator--ice forming in bottom of freezer [ 11 Answers ]

Ice has been forming in the bottom of our side-by-side Maytag (MSB 2354 DRQ) which is about 7 years old. I noticed water on the floor under the fridge the other day. I broke the ice up and discarded it, and now ice has formed again. There was some ice on the back of the freezer cabin too,...

Removal of the freezer panel (Maytag refrigerator) [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maytag refrigerator MTB1504ARW. Could anyone be so kind to explain me how I can remove the sheet metal panel inside of the freezer section to check the coils for ice buildup? I have tried this but the panel doesn't come off easily so I am worried not to brake something. Cheers!

Refrigerator freezer running but not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

My refrigerator freezer is running, but it is not cooling

Maytag Refrigerator not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

Our Maytag refrigerator is at a temp of 50 degrees and will not get cooler regardless of the setting, the freezer seems to be working OK. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search