Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmcorbin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 12:40 PM
    What do you wear for a courthouse wedding?
    My fiancé and I are planning on eloping and I was wondering what is proper to wear to this type of ceremony? We have a very small budget and there won't be too many people there(just some family). It's just going to be short and sweet. I have been married once before and I just don't want to have to pay for everything like in my 1st (it was a big church wedding).
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcorbin
    My fiance and I are planning on eloping and I was wondering what is proper to wear to this type of ceremony? We have a very small budget and there won't be too many people there(just some family). It's just going to be short and sweet. I have been married once before and I just don't want to have to pay for everything like in my 1st (it was a big church wedding).

I wore a plain, knit dress - something I've worn many times since (because I'm basically either cheap or frugal, one or the other).

I did not wear white - in fact, it was black and red!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 12:58 PM
    I would just buy a simple, not too sexy or elegant, nicer than you would wear to an office job. Maybe knee length to midi length.

These are some of the nicer styles I found on Victoria's Secret
    Of course you want to pick a pale color rather than a dark one too.

Victoria's Secret - All Dresses
    Attached Images

smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 22, 2008, 12:59 PM
    You can wear the same wedding dress you got married in the first time if you wanted to, or you could just get a nice dress, whatever style and color you want. You could probably get married in jeans if you really felt like it, though that wouldn't be proper like you asked.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smokedetector
    You can wear the same wedding dress you got married in the first time if you wanted to, or you could just get a nice dress, whatever style and color you want. You could probably get married in jeans if you really felt like it, though that wouldn't be proper like you asked.

Put yours on the list of all time best comments -

I actually got married in cardiac intensive care so in theory we BOTH wore dresses. His was nicer - sort of off the shoulder, open back (WAY open back), some sort of blue and white checkered pattern. He accessorized with various tubes and monitors. He also wore no shoes. He was very upset because they wouldn't allow him to shave. My wedding gift was a stuffed dog from the magazine cart (no joke).

I, on the other hand, did wear shoes and had no tubes or monitors.

They lifted his oxygen mask periodically so he could answer and kiss the bride.

I knew him about 2 months.

And then following the ceremony he took a limousine ride to another hospital (well, not exactly a limo, more like an ambulance) and I followed in my car and he spent the honeymoon (all 3-1/2 months of it) with any number of roommates in the cardiac surgery and recovery units of another hospital.

And I went home. By myself. With the stuffed dog - which my real dogs hated on sight.

And for all 3-1/2 months people said, "Are you the couple that married in CIU - " and we said, "Yes, we were," and people hugged us. Five years later we were back in the same hospital and the nursing staff remembered us!

And I'd do it all over again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Most that I know at the court house wear jeans or just everyday clothes it is not a dress up occasion at the court house wedding.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Most that I know at the court house wear jeans or just everyday clothes it is not a dress up occassion at the court house wedding.

Except for the one or two who show up in jeans and t-shirts that say something like, "Kiss the bride" - and a veil!

Last time I was in Las Vegas I couldn't believe the number of brides playing the slots or sitting at the bar in full wedding regalia!
    Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:01 PM
    I did one wedding with a western theme, everyone cowboy hats and so on. I did another one with a pool theme, holla skirts and all.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I did one wedding with a western theme, everyone cowboy hats and so on. I did another one with a pool theme, holla skirts and all.

I was once invited to a nudist wedding in Canada - I didn't go for a variety of reasons but I've always wondered what the bride/groom/guests wore or didn't wear.
    Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Did a white water raft one once, the one in a airplane. The funniest one was a actual Formal one, they sent the bride for hair and make up before the service, and forgot to go get her, ( before good cell phones) so when it was time to start no one remembered for a bit where the bride was.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Courthouse Wedding [ 15 Answers ]

:confused: My fiancé and I want to just have a courthouse wedding but we are having a hard time figuring out how to go about doing it! We live in Henry County Georgia and have no clue where to go to actually get married! Is a marriage license the same thing? We are lost! :( Please someone help! We...

How do I set up a courthouse wedding? [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé and I want to get married without the big hooplah and expense. Problem is, I have searched and searched and cannot find any answers on who to call, where to go, cost, etc. How do I set this thing up?? ***EDIT*** Sorry, I forgot to add we live in Missouri.

Courthouse Wedding [ 2 Answers ]

My Fiancé and I decided to get marry now at a courthouse. However we do not how to go about it. I know we have to get a license but don't know where to go from there. We don't know what courthouse to go to, or what we need for the wedding? Please help, we want to do this in the next two months. I...

Courthouse wedding [ 1 Answers ]

I live in webb county Texas and want to marry my fiancé from turkey. But we have no idea how to do it. Please help

Courthouse Wedding [ 1 Answers ]

How Does A Courthouse Service Go? What Do We Wear And Do We Need Rings?

View more questions Search