Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Al1225 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Old house with NO heat upstairs
    Ok we've been living in this house for almost a year and have been living in a room down stairs because there is NO heat upstairs at all. The only vents upstairs in one in the hall way which is more like a hole with a vent put over it. My wife and I have 2 kids and a 3rd on the way. We obviously can't all keep sleeping in the same room but we rent and our contract isn't up for another year. Is there anything I can do to heat the upstairs. We aren't allowed to put kerosine heaters in the house or I would but I don't want my children sleeping up there with no heat. Is there any ideas out there that I am missing?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Small electric heaters should do the trick. Trying to modify the duct would be a expensive situation.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Seem to me that when a person enters into a rental contract,, it should also require some responsibility of the landlord,, it should be his job to make sure the home is livable, you are paying rent on a house (or part of a house) that you can`t use,, seems to me a good way to get the contract voided,, call someone,check around,, the law should protect you also, not just the landlord
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Hello Al:

Wmproop is RIGHT. This is a landlord/tenant issue - NOT a heating issue.

Your landlord is responsible for providing you with a "habitable" residence. Apparently, only PART of it is. I don't know if you've spoken with him at all about this issue, but why don't you ask him to fix it?

I could go on about what you need to do to MAKE him fix it, but until you tell us what's gone on already with him, we'll just be wasting our time.

Tell us what has happened so far, and we'll tell you what to do next.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No cold water flowing to the upstairs of the house [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have no cold water flowing to the upstairs of my house, downstairs cold water is fine, if I leave the cold taps off for a period then turn them on some cold will come through but will quickly run out (1-2 minutes) is this a problem that I can fix myself ? Thanks

Cannot get heat upstairs!bled system already! [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced my hot water baseboard.I have a gas boiler that is brand new.. only about 6 months old(everything worked fine before I did this replacement)I shut the boiler off, then shut the supply off at the boiler.I did the replacement of the baseboard.. everything went good.I turned on the...

Heat Upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

My house is only 4 years old, I have a high efficiency furnace. My child's bedroom upstairs is freezing. He naps during the day so it doesn't get much sun light. The other bedrooms in the house seem warmer. I called a heating and air company and they want to charge me $100 to clean the furnace....

Heat Pump-warm downstairs, cold upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: We moved in to our home in July and are beginning to run the heat. We noticed in the summer that it was much cooler upstairs than downstairs (very unusual, we thought)and the complete opposite in cold weather. When the heater is on downstairs, we can feel very warm air blowing from the...

Heat upstairs [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into our house beginning of May. We live in the Northeast so we got some cold nights and required to turn the heat on to keep the kids warm at night. I am not to savvy on this so bare with me and ask as many questions as you like and I'll try to answer them. My house is 67years old and...

View more questions Search