Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Palmfrond Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Growing periwinkle/vinca
    Hi,

I am growing periwinkle (locally known in Middle East as Vinca) in a very very hot climate and in full sun.

Whilst not dying, some of the plants have become very leggy. How do I prevent this? Should I cut them back?

In addition, I am growing Periwinkle in ceramic pots outside. These plants are really struggling and I think it is because the pots are heating up and burning the roots. I had thought of putting the plants in plastic pots and then inside the ceramic pots. Would this help? I could even wrap the plastic pots in damp tea towels in the ceramic pots to keep them damp and cool in the day? What do you think

Or I could just forget the whole thing until after the summer - another 2 months from now! I really don't want to select this option

Thanks for your help:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 08:07 AM
    I have grown periwinkle for a number of years and have it all over my garden in various locations, some in full sun, some in deep shade and I find it survives just about anywhere if allowed to scramble around wherever it wants to. It likes very rich soil, as in composted, if it can get it and then it really gets very dark green and blooms almost all summer long.

I have a horticulturist friend who has this under every tree in her garden and at least once in the summer runs it over with the mower and it comes back thicker then ever. So, yes you can cut it back, and it can also be transplanted very easily in clumps. I just tear a huge junk out now and then whenever I get the mind to have it located somewhere else and stick it in the ground and use water and miracle grow to give it a good start. Although at times have not even used water and it seems to grow like a weed.

Doesn't do good in containers, it can't crawl you see and yes you may be cooking it and adding the plastic would only make it worse.

Palmfrond, it takes a lot to destroy perwinkle.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 12:19 PM
    I agree with Tickle about running it over with the mower. That only makes it thicker. The reason yours is getting leggy is due to the fact it's not thick enough. And yes, it does not do well indoors in containers as it prefers outdoors. I've tried it indoors and had to take it back outdoors.

Jul 19, 2008, 11:34 PM
    OK, I will cut them right back and see what happens. I think they are getting scorched in the pots, so will change to a succulent in the pots.

The sun here is really very viscious with little surviving in pots in the summer. O how I would love an English garden (without the rain!)
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Can you create a sunshade? That might keep the pots cooler and give your plants a boost.

Jul 20, 2008, 03:15 AM
    Hi All,

The pots are in full sun and no chance of putting a shade. I may move the pots but with the sun overhead for a long time, I don't think that will work either. I have shaded areas, but they have pots already!

I have even thought of putting the plants in a smaller pot in the container and either putting a tea towel around the pot, which will remain moist OR, putting newspaper in the soil to keep moist.

Any other ideas? Very close to giving up now until the cooler months

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Periwinkle in hot climate [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I live in the Middle East, so it is hot, hot, hot! I have periwinkle (sometimes referred to as Vinca). SOme are doing well, but I have noticed some of the leaves are turning yellow. Any ideas/advice? Thanks

Dandelions and vinca [ 5 Answers ]

I have a slope that was landscaped three springs ago. A large area, about 50' x 50', was planted with Vinca. The first two seasons, attacking dandelion and thistles that grew between the vinca was pretty easy. This year the vinca continued to spread and weed killing became more difficult. Our...

Growing apart [ 6 Answers ]

Ok I got married really young. We got married when I was nineteen. He is the only man that I have ever been with. Over the past couple of years I have become a different person. I have started to question everything including my marriage. I love my husband but do not think that I am in love...

Will I keep growing? [ 2 Answers ]

I've had my period for about a year and I wanted to know if I'm still growing. I'm 12. I heard that after I had my period I would have 2 years to grow but I'm not sure.

Growing Ivy [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are going to paint our house and one side of the house is almost completely covered in ivy and I think the only way to paint that side of the house is to very carefully take the ivy down and when they're done put it back with those ties that they sell at the nursery. It seems like...

View more questions Search