Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guristu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Hunter Thermostat wiring for Trane XL80
    Hello everyone,

I have a problem with figuring out the wiring from a Trane XL80 2-stage furnace/ac unit to a Hunter Programmable Thermostat model 44155C. The existing thermostat is an old mercury based thermostat. It has the following terminals:

G1 - green wire
    Y1 - yellow wire
    W1 - white wire
    W2 - blue wire
    R - red wire

The new Hunter has the following terminals: G, RC, RH, Y/O, W/B, Y1. Since I don't have the manual for the furnace, I have problems with figuring out where each wire goes on the new thermostat. I've been able to figure out that the red wire goes into the RH terminal. I've tried many other combinations but the results have been the same: nothing.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Guristu
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Wrong thermostat. BTW, do yourself a favor and buy another brand.

You need a 2 stage heat, 1 stage cool conventional thermostat.

And Rh is normally connected to Rc and connected to R.

Carefull: Some new stats require a common wire, C terminal, for power.

Jul 18, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Wrong thermostat. BTW, do yourself a favor and buy another brand.

You need a 2 stage heat, 1 stage cool conventional thermostat.

and Rh is normally connected to Rc and connected to R.

Carefull: Some new stats require a common wire, C terminal, for power.
    I was afraid of that. Anyway, I have no problem taking it back, but since I'm asking questions anyway, what would be the right thermostat for my system? I want a programmable one.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Guristu
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 11:14 AM
    1.Do you have any extra unused wires available?

2. Is it easy to fish another cable if you had to?

Jul 18, 2008, 12:59 PM
    1.Do you have any extra unused wires available?

2. Is it easy to fish another cable if you had to?
    1. there are only the 5 wires
    2. I'd say it's pretty hard. I would rather not engage in fishing any other cables because I'm afraid the project may become too big for me.

I have done some research and I've found Honewell RTH6300B. From what I can tell it might fit my system. What do you think?

Thanks for your responses.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 01:35 PM
    The RTH6300B is single stage. Won't do. This will RTH6220D: Buy Honeywell FocusPRO 6000 Programmable MultiStage Thermostat, Large Screen | Honeywell TH6220D1028

Manuals are at this site too.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 01:37 PM
    BTW: There is a way to "add-a-wire" without adding a physical wire, but it requires a high skills level.

Jul 18, 2008, 06:04 PM
    I just fixed it. I went and I exchanged it for a Honeywell RTH7500 series. It's been working fine for a couple of hours now. Hope it keeps working.

Thanks for your input.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 04:23 PM
    The RTH6300B is single stage. Won't do. This will RTH6220D: Buy Honeywell FocusPRO 6000 Programmable MultiStage Thermostat, Large Screen | Honeywell TH6220D1028

Manuals are at this site too.
    Sorry for piggy-backing here, but this just happens to be the one I was looking at and wanted to get, the 6220. The current A/C I have is 35 years old, but the furnace is 7 years old (Bryant 383KAV). You've brought up wiring issues -- do you think there would be any wiring issues with this, for the 2 stage heat?

The one difference is that I don't think running a new wire would be a big issue as it's not in some terrible area where it goes through to the basement. In fact, I'm going to be eventually running an outlet and phone jack on the other side of the doorway from where the tstat is and have no qualms about it.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 04:51 PM
    It's a 2 stage heat conventional stat, so it should be fine.

The (C) terminal is optional. It would be recommended to run another cable while your in the wall. Having the (C) terminal means you don't have to have batteries to have heat and it opens up more tstat choices. (C) wasn't even needed or defined for mechanical stats. It's just the other side of the 24 VAC transformer. Between C and R you'll have 24 VAC all the time.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 05:02 PM
    OK, thanks!
    ketan80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by guristu View Post
    I just fixed it. I went and I exchanged it for a Honeywell RTH7500 series. It's been working fine for a couple of hours now. Hope it keeps working.

Thanks for your input.
    I have same problem with rth6300b. How did you put cable in new one did you use blue cable at all please let me know.

Thank you

Ketan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring codes from old Carrier thermostat to new Hunter thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

WIRING CODE HELP FOR THERMOSTAT I am in an office and have an old Carrier programmable thermostat which no longer works. I purchased a Hunter 44660 thermostat to replace. My problem is that the wiring codes on the previous thermostat do not match up the codes on the new thermostat. Codes and...

Hunter Thermostat Wiring [ 11 Answers ]

I have an older Honeywell electromechanical programmable thermostat which I want to replace with a Hunter Model 44360 electronic programmable thermostat. I can figure out the "w", "g", "r" and "y" wires but I have a blue wire on terminal "c" and a brown wire on another terminal marked"c" on the...

Changing from a trane thermostat to a hunter [ 1 Answers ]

I have a trane 3aat80b1a1 thermostat with 8 terminals r,t,o,g,y,x2,b and f. I want to install a hunter 44155c thermostat with 6 terminals g,rc,rh,y/o,w/b and y1. Rc and rh have a jumper. How do I match up these terminals. thanks, robert

Honeywell TH8320 to Trane XL80 wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have Honeywell TH8320 thermostat which I'm trying to connect to Trane XL80. My problem is that it's 2H/1C system with no heat pump but all TH8320 wiring diagrams only show either 2H/2C or 1H/1C. So I got a bit confused. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

View more questions Search