Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingdave87 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 01:24 PM
    1997 honda civic dx won't crank won't start
    I have a 1997 honda civic dx 5 speed. Yesterday car was fine, started strong and drove strong. I parked car last night and about 4-5 hours later tried to start it. When I turned the key in the ignition there was no crank at all. I can hear a little hum and then a click but that's all.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 01:31 PM
    If the starter motor doesn't crank the engine, then the battery is probably dead. The link below should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

Jul 18, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Battery is not the problem. Tried took of connections and cleaned. Tested with multi meter and battery is around 12v. I cannot really distinguish what the starter or starter solenoid is. Is there diagrams or better description of where they are located in my engine bay.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Even though the battery shows 12 volts, that does not mean it's good--it still may not have sufficient amperage. Most auto parts stores will test and charge batteries for free. The odds are high that the battery is bad. If you attach it to a battery charger, you will likely see the ammeter goes sky-high, indicating it's deeply discharged.

Jul 18, 2008, 08:35 PM
    All right I'm going to take the battery to auto zone tomorrow. How does a battery go bad all of a sudden? I bought it about 6 months ago and there has been no problem since.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 09:22 PM
    I've had many maintenance-free batteries die without warning. I'm talking about good quality ACDelco 36-month batteries that die, without warning, in less than 12-months. This is not uncommon during the summer, particularly in Texas, where high temperatures trash batteries. Voltaic reactions increase, water boils out, and grids breakdown with high summer temperatures and heat under the hood. Batteries last much longer in northern states. Now, I only buy wet cell batteries, where I can add distilled water, if necessary.

Jul 19, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Update :

Went to autozone today to test battery, it is fine. Took out starter and had them test that. They said it was bad. Bought brand new starter and installed. Still no crank. I checked the fuses and they all seem to be OK.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Test all under-dash and under-hood fuses with your multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Be very thorough, since it can save a lot of time and money. Pay particular attention to under-hood Fuse No. 39--50 A, To ignition switch (BAT), and under-dash Fuse No. 24, 15 A, ACG (ALT) (S).

If fuses are okay, check for power to the starter. If there's none, check the ignition switch for wear, pitting, and melting:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

Sometimes, playing with the ignition switch will help identify that it's bad.
    JDT Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 12:11 AM
    It might be your solinoid and you can probably find diagrams of the starter and solinoid in your owners manual

Jul 20, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Update :

Turns out it was the ignition switch. Had my buddy fix it for me last night and now it cranks and starts. Should I take the brand new starter back seeing as how the ignition wire was the problem? At autozone they said the old starter was bad but I didn't see any results for myself. Im thinking they just told me the starter was bad so that I could drop 150 on one right there.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2008, 12:22 PM
    I would--just be sure your old starter works. Honda starters are very reliable, especially on Civics as new as your's.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Did you install a new switch and harness or was it something else?

Jul 20, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Buddy found out by troubleshooting that it was the ignition wire. He ran wires from the battery and ignition up to driver side and attached it to a button. Now I put the key in and turn and press the button to start.

I think autozone may have bs'ed me when they told me old starter was bad, I'm going to go back there tomorrow and replace for the old starter and see if it works.
    civic-lad Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 01:39 PM

Whattt can't believe the cheek of autozone... sounds like the kind of idiots u get ere in england just think about pound notes raver than go out of there way to help. Hey thts why I stick to breaker yards much cheaper and 9out of 10 u get a done deal, take this for example went to my local store wanted 60pounds for a battery, so went to my nearest breakers yard got a second hand one for 10pounds and it works fine,I'd take it back and chuck it at them,lol.
    speedracer228 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 08:11 AM

I have the same problem wit my 92 lx . I drives fine then if it's a clod morn it will not start. When it does its off timing until it warms a little then it purrrs like a kitten.
    SNICKERLV Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedracer228 View Post
    i have the same problem wit my 92 lx . i drives fine then if its a clod morn it will not start. when it does its off timing until it warms a lil then it purrrs like a kitten.
    speedracer228 I have the same problem that cold car don't won't to start good...

Maybe check and clean your (IAC) valve...
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 05:56 AM

Something nobody mentioned yet... at least with the older Hondas, and likely the newer ones too.

MAIN RELAY. If they stick or go bad nothing, and I mean NOTHING is going to work.

I know THIS case was the switch... but this info is in case someone else refers to this thread in the future, that its something to check as well in such a case.
    TGabe185 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2011, 09:20 PM
    I'm actually having the same problem right now.. it won't click, when I go to turn it on I hear a slight noise.. one of my battery connectors is loose.. but it was like that for a while.. and started fine.. now won't start..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 honda civic won't start PLEASE HELP [ 22 Answers ]

I live in LA and I have never had a problem. It has been raining non stop down pour for 17 days. Last night I went out and my car wouldn't start. It turns over but no fire. Battery seems fine. AAA came and got it started by adding fuel shaking it, I don't know what... He told me to keep it running,...

93 Civic won't start, turns over but won't crank [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1993 honda del sol SI that I converted to manual, before the swap everything was fine, cranked up, my battery and alterntor were going bad but would crank up, after the swap, it turns over but nothing happens,I'm not gettting any spark at all, I went and got a new distributor but still...

91 95 honda civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I was driving just fine no problem or concerns and when I stopped at a red light and when to go again when it was green it cut out. In the middle of traffic I tried to restart it and no luck. I tried the fuel pump thinking that there was no fuel getting to the car and checked my fueses and I'm...

94 Honda Civic won't Start [ 3 Answers ]

Please help!! I have a 94 Honda Civic with a SOHC 1.6 litre Vtec D16Z6. I recently replaced the head gasket with a cometic gasket and had the head resurfaced, now the car won't start. The motor turns over, I get fuel, spark and the motor is at top dead center. Im out of troubleshooting ideas. The...

95' Honda Civic won't start. HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

My 95' Honda Civic won't start. It didn't start about a week ago for a few days, then randomly started up again. I went to Wal-Mart and got my oil changed and filled it up with gas. I got my battery tested, and its fine. Then today my car won't start again. It is stranded at school, and I would...

View more questions Search