Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    millionpyong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 06:04 PM
    HP laptop speaker no sound: but can hear through headset
    I have an HP laptop. The speaker has been working with no problem for 2 years. Suddenly today, the speaker stopped working. The sound card is OK because I can hear sound through my headphone. Did some quick research and read something about my laptop not being able to not properly sense the headphone jack plugged in or out... Has anyone of you experienced or fixed this problem? Any help is appreciated.
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Sep 21, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Unless the designs have changed significantly the internal speakers are deactivated by a mechanical switch that is part of the headphone jack. A failure of the internal speaker(s) to reactivate after the headset is unplugged stands a good chance of being a hardware fault in the headphone jack. Without examining the interior of the computer it would be difficult to determine if the fault is the result of the contact being broken OR of the contact being bent to the point that the contact doesn't close when the plug is withdrawn from the jack.
    Will00 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Sep 22, 2007, 04:09 PM
    There could be many problems with your laptop. One may be that dust or other material could have collected around it and restricted access to it. Though this is most likely not the problem. I suspect it is a problem with download and installations. What have you downloaded or installed recently? Have their been any error messages or other problems on your computer? What other problems have you had with this computer? All of these could effect what comes out of the speakers.
    millionpyong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 01:03 AM
    Hi Robertva and Will00. Thanks for your answers. I haven't had the time to take my laptop to a shop or do it myself yet, so haven't yet verified that Robertva's solution is the right one. My 3-year-old son had pushed one of the headphone jack too far in, so it may well have caused the problem. It's been a while since he had done that, though.

As for the response to Will00's answer, my Norton anti-virus program has been giving me an error a few times lately. It said there was some kind of error to the program and that I had to delete it and reinstall it. I ignored it (I probably shouldn't have... but didn't have time... ) and the error went away. I was thinking that had nothing to do with the speaker problem... could it?
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 03:28 AM
    I think it's time for your laptop service, Take it in for dusting and all in all clean up. This might have been caused by anything but You can only be sure when you open it up...
    verman84 Posts: 3, Reputation: 4

Oct 3, 2007, 06:22 PM
    I have an HP dv6000 series laptop and I am having the same problem.

I can hear sound when plugged into either headphone jack (theres a regular one and the SPDIF) just not out of the speakers.

Ive run countless tests to see if it was a software problem or a driver problem but one of my friends works as a computer technician and he's going to take a look at it but trust me you are not the only person so experience this.

I accidentally plugged in a Ipod video cable (Ipod video 1/8" jack to red yellow and white RCA plugs)

Well when unplugging it, I noticed the sound didn't come back to the speakers as it always did before.

I am going to get this serviced soon and I will make an update as soon as I find out what's wrong.

I tried to open up my laptop to see if I could see a problem but Its too difficult to get to the jacks without really getting into it.
    pang_membro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 03:38 AM
    Verman,

I am having the same speaker problem with my HP dv6000 not too long ago. Was yours fixed? If so, what exactly was done?

I appreciate if you could help me out before sending my laptop to HP service shops. Thanks in advance.

pang_membro

Feb 19, 2008, 02:30 PM
    The headphone input jack is stuck, there is a small switch inside the jack which shuts off the speakers when headphones are plugged in. When the headphones are pulled out, the speakers turn on again.

The thing you have to do is figure out which headphone jack you were using when you noticed this(im assuming you have 2 like mine).

My problem was that my girlfriend put an iPod video cable into my headphone jack to connect it to our stereo. It fits the hack but instead of a stereo 1/8" plug with 2 sections, it has 3 which makes it slightly longer which is what stuck the internal switch inside the jack and disabled the speakers.

Rather than bringing my computer to get fixed, I just took a pair of headphones and inserted them into the jack repeatedly, at different speeds. Mostly what worked was putting it in and pulling it out rather quickly. have a song playing looped while you do it so that you can tell if it worked or not. It will take some time and patience.

I opened my laptop to try and remove the faulty jack but it was so buried in there that I had no chance at doing it successfully.

Since I "fixed mine" I haven't had a problem with it ever since. Only my battery died 13months after I bought my computer... go figure, not 12 which would have been within the warranty, stupid HP.

Also, get some canned air and spray it in the jack making sure not to shoot out the chemical. This might remove any dust/debirs or anything that might be in said jack.
    aliasmiller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
    OK so I am stupid and got mad with this switch thing so I open'd up my laptop and just took out the whole headphone jack there is nothing to put head phones in... there is no longer sound, is there any thing I can install or uninstall to just make it play out of the speakers and not go to the input?:(

Mar 13, 2008, 12:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by verman84
    The headphone input jack is stuck, there is a small switch inside the jack which shuts off the speakers when headphones are plugged in. When the headphones are pulled out, the speakers turn on again.
    This is a mechanical switch inside the headphone jack, it is not a "software" detection sensor or anything. What happens is that when your headphones plug in, this switch "routes" the sound through the headphones instead.

You comment would be like if your keyboard buttons were stuck and trying to fix it with a software download, it just wouldn't work because one is SOFTware and the other HARDware
    Buckykatt72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 09:53 AM
    I have an HP dv9000 and am having the same issue now. Just noticed it yesterday since the thing has been on mute or been used with headphones for awhile now. But I wanted to listen to music and no sound come from the internal speakers, just headphones.
    mock_turtle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 12:45 AM
    aliasmiller I think it is possible to fix the issue through a software. The mechanism does not work quiet like verman84 explained. I am using ubuntu and dv6000 for aboout two years. I remember I once stumbled an applet that lets the user to control volumes for speaker and headjack independentlyu. The mechanical switch robertva mentioned up should be something that tells kernel the headphone is plugged or unpugged, not simply route the electricity flowing through speaker. Because if that was the case it would be impossible for the program I used to control them separately. I am looking for the program I used. But unfortunately it must be for linux only. Theoretically there exists a software solution for windows but I don't know how yet. I will write if I find.
    mindshift Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 12:03 AM
    Hi,
    If you have any problem to it help desk, Read this and post queries here-
    Our company Get high-quality IT support from a Help Desk that features 24x7x365 service; fully-trained, U.S.-based
    technical experts; and remote access for immediate resolution.

Richee robert
    ( IT Help Desk )
    mindshift Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 03:36 AM
    Hi,
    If you need an IT Help Desk, check out mindSHIFT. Their technical experts, who are based in the U.S. are available 24x7x365.

Richee robert
    ( IT Help Desk )
    booknoy2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 08:31 AM
    I had the same problem, just try some headphone's you used in your laptop(seems there's a switch inside the headphone jack and noticed that headphone jacks differ in size)... I just did it and the speaker works again... thank you guys!!
    bizi411 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by millionpyong
    I have an HP laptop. The speaker has been working with no problem for 2 years. Suddenly today, the speaker stopped working. The sound card is OK because I can hear sound through my headphone. Did some quick research and read something about my laptop not being able to not properly sense the headphone jack plugged in or out... Has anyone of you experienced or fixed this problem? Any help is appreciated.
    Verman84 is right. I had the same problem on my hp dv6000 for a while. Headphones would work just fine but the built-in speakers stopped working. At first I thought there was no way it was a sound card problem because if it was the sound card, neither the headphones or internal speakers would work... but I updated and reinstalled drivers anyway. No luck. Then I noticed the speakers would sometimes work for a second when I removed the headphone jack. I then knew it was a short in the jack connection or just a bad connector in the jack. Sooo, I just plugged in the headphone jack a bunch of times and after about 20 seconds the speakers were working just fine and I haven't had a problem since! Just jam in the headset jack a bunch of times to get the contacts loose again. If this doesn't do the trick you may have to do a little surgery and clean up the contacts by taking the computer apart. (only if you know what you're doing, of course) . But the problem is most definitely physical with the metal contacts and not a driver, soundcard, or antivirus software conflict problem. To my knowledge, sound cards are not generally programmed to or capable of detecting when headphones have entered the path of wires leading to the speakers.
    Sounds crazy but it worked for me.
    Hope this helps :)
    DCA Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Hi, guys!

I have an HP pav 6000 and I'm having the same problem. The difference is that I had never used my headphones before until I decided to check and see if they would work. When I first noticed a problem, I had a CD in. It just stopped playing. I was busy and didn't really check at that time to see what the problem was. I was cleaning my desk and dusted the computer with a cloth. I thought maybe I had just brushed up against something and turned it off, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I've tried blowing canned air in and plugging and unplugging. I have also gone through everything in the troubleshooting section and everything reports as it should be. I updated the driver. Any other suggestions?

My trying to open this thing up would be disastrous. Thanks in advance.
    bizi411 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 01:46 AM
    If you bought it under a year ago, just have HP fix. They are usually really good with shipping and everything. Otherwise, you're screwed. Jk. I don't know what else to tell you.
    DCA Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Unfortunately, it's two years old. :(

Quote Originally Posted by bizi411
    if you bought it under a year ago, just have HP fix. They are usually really good with shipping and everything. otherwise, you're screwed. jk. I don't know what else to tell ya.
    hphphphelpme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Hi I have the same problem to but my is the right speaker's doesn't work evertything is fine but not my right speaker I think I know why?
    Thte dual proccesor is near the built-in speaker and it warm's up and burn the speaker and the power buttons but mine didn't burn the power button and my ac power work thank's by the way calll hp you can find the number in hp official website

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop Speaker No Sound [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Compaq laptop and the speakers have worked fine until today. I suddenly have NO sound for anything? Can anyone help Thanks Kaluda:)

Missing sound, can't hear cd or sound play at all? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a Compaq, win xp, this afternoon and I had sound and everything was OK? But I think while working on the computer I accidentally erased the driver that helps allow sound to come from the comp, I can't seem to find site to download the driver? Please help, I can hear it beep...

Low speaker sound output... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm using Windows XP, and have got a problem (I seem to be having a lot of these lately). The sound output on my laptop has gone from really good (as usual) to extremely low, even with the speakers on maximum. (and unmuted) I'm not sure what the problem could be, as the laptop is...

I can't hear any sound! [ 1 Answers ]

I recently accidenlty re-installed xp(just an update though, so all my files and stuff are still on it) on my PC, since I've done this everything is working fine except the sound, I can't seem to hear anything, and I've checked all the devices and stuff and they are all working fine, can any body...

View more questions Search