Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ann Skeets Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Bath/Shower Diverter Not Working Properly
    I am trying to replace the diverter in my bath/shower. I have bought a Waltek replacement part (W-7) (Master Plumber replacement) It apears to be the same type of diverter as the diverter I am trying to replace but I cannot be sure until I have removed the old one.

My challenge is trying to remove the current one. I have removed the shroud so I can access the diverter but I cannot pull it out. The hardware store told me I should simply be able to remove the current diverter by simply pulling it out from the front. However, it will not come out. It feels as if there is a lip or something which is holding it in. I am concerned about pulling too hard in case this is in fact not the way to remove the current diverter and I create another problem.

Can anyone offer some advice? Is there another Waltek diverter that looks similar to W-7 but is removed differently (that is, not by pulling it out from the front)?

... Ann
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Is the divertor in the valve or the tub spout. If on the valve what brand valve is it?

Jul 9, 2008, 01:26 PM
    It goes directly into the middle pipe (the actual tub spout is directly below). I found a picture from another plumbing forum site and mine looks like this one which indicates it is a Waltec. Unfortunately, I could not figure out how to insert the photo of it in this email. I have looked at my faucet for a brand name but I can not see one.

The diverter is a very simple metal rod with a spring, washers, etc. there is nothing that appears to be a valve. I will try to find the site Iwas looking at and refer you to the discusion item which had the photo.

.. Ann

Jul 9, 2008, 01:54 PM
    To post a picture, click on "Go Advanced", Click on, Manage Atachments, Browse to find pic, click on upload. Size is limited, to reduce size, open pic with Paint, click image, choose strech and skew option, reduce size as necessary. Convert to JPEG using SAVE AS option.

Jul 9, 2008, 02:02 PM
    This is the link of the photo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture154.jpg

Photo of the underside side is Picture 155:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture155.jpg

Thank you for the info on how to attach a photo. I will try it.

... Ann

Jul 9, 2008, 02:57 PM
    I can't tell from the pic if there is any way of removing the diverter, because of the reflections. Try another pic from the top and too one side slightly. Pull the diverter rod out or remove the knob buy unscrewing it. Logic says that you have to be able to remove it by removing something around the rod. Otherwise you would have to remove the entire valve from the wall and work from the back side. Not logical at all.

How in the world did you take the pic of the underside.

Jul 9, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Those are not my pictures they are ones from plumbing forum discussion website. I copied the pics as it looked very much like my faucet.

I have already unscrewed the knob at the end of the rod and removed the shroud completely, and then I removed the nut (hexagonal/flat on one side/curved on the other) through which the rod passes. I tried looking into the pipe with a flashlight to see if I could determine anything usual but was unable to see too much. I am hoping I do not have to remove the faucet completely in order to remove the rod from the back of the faucet.

... Ann

Jul 9, 2008, 08:33 PM
    After removing the nut (hexagonal/flat on one side/curved on the other) Did you try pulling the rod out. Might be some resistance but not a lot. You should be able to tell if the resistance is from O rings that seal the diverter rod or if it is solid. Might try turning rod to see what it feels like. Totally illogical to have to remove valve to service, therefore rod should come out. Was there any kind of packing material behind the nut you removed?

Jul 11, 2008, 06:22 AM
    I did try pulling it out with a wrench. When I tried this I could feel the pipes move from the effort I exerted trying to pull out the diverter rod.

.. Ann

Jul 11, 2008, 01:53 PM
    The diverter works by pulling out and pushing in, correct? Can you feel any thing happening if you rotate the rod?
    Bridog1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2011, 08:48 AM
    I had a similar problem with a gerber diverter, the trouble was the screw holding the seat washer at the base of the diverter stem came off and hung the diverter up. It also ate the seat inside the diverter to pieces.
    I carefully cut the stem up with a dremel abd a small grinding head, and I got the diverter stem out. I replaced the seat, stem, and washers. All went well, except for the diverter still has water coming from the tub spout and shower head when the diverter is turned to shower. I don't know what I did but I did get the stem out, so you may have a loose screw hanging the stem up.

Brian.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower diverter not working [ 2 Answers ]

Our shower diverter leaves more water coming from the faucet than the shower head even when turned completely to the shower head direction. It also happens to be hot water which is really wasteful. Any help?

Shower diverter pull-up not working [ 2 Answers ]

I had my bathroom renovated a few months ago. I went to take a shower yesterday, pulled up the diverter and it didn't stay up. When I manually pulled the diverter up - the shower still didn't work. Only the bathtub works. Is there anything I can do to fix this myself? It's a new fixture.

Bath tub spout, diverter replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to replace the diverter or spout in my bath tub. The original is the slip on type with a hex screw at the back. The new one is threaded, is there an adapter I can use to make it work ?

Bath spout shower diverter failed [ 1 Answers ]

The pull-up diverter in the shower spout just suddenly ceased working this morning. There is no change in the flow of water when it is pulled upward. Do I have to replace the whole spout or is there another way. The walls are tiled so I fear having to tear that out if I have to replace the spout. ...

Shower diverter not working [ 1 Answers ]

Water comes from both the shower head and the faucet. I thought that it was just a problem with the diverter on the faucet, so I bought a new one and installed it today (Danco adjustable tub spout with diverter 88434). No luck! It still comes from both the shower head and faucet. If I pull up...

View more questions Search