Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coachdjo Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Brake warning lights stay on in 91 S-10 Blazer
    I have a 1991 Chevy S-10 Blazer (4.3L, 4x4) in which the instrument panel lights for the Parking Brake and the Anti-Lock Braking system will not go out when the car is started. I checked the parking brake cable attached to the foot pedal to see if it was broken or disconnected but it is not. I checked the master cylinder but the fluid level is full. Brakes seem normal while driving. Any suggestions on what may be causing this or what else to try?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 02:17 PM
    My ABS light stayed on in my 1994 Jeep for about 1 1/2 years before it went out on it's own. I even had a complete brake job done on both front and back brakes and it still didn't go out. There is no "trick" to making it go out - at least one that I didn't discover. I did figure out that my sensor somehow had dirt in it/on it and kept reading something that was not there and making the ABS light stay on in the dash panel. One day it went out and stayed out until I started the car the next day. Then it stayed on for a few days and then went out. It went out and stayed out for over 2 years now and I still have the proper ABS braking system that works perfectly fine. If you recently had a full brake job I wouldn't worry about a light. If you didn't have a full brake job, then I'd have the brakes looked at as there could be something more than what happened to my Jeep happen to your Blazer. P.S. the light drove me crazy the entire 1 1/2 years it was on.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 11, 2008, 12:49 PM
    If the yellow ABS light is on, the ABS has discovered a problem and turned on both lights. Generally speaking, they will stay lit until the fault is repaired or the bulb burns out.
    The ABS runs a self-diagnostic test every 500 milli seconds and if it detects a fault, it will not only light both bulbs to draw your attention to the problem, but it will also store a diagnostic trouble code in the ABS module. That code will help a technician diagnose the fault more quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake Lights [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Z71 Truck. The brake lights stay on . I can't find the problem.

Brake lights [ 1 Answers ]

I need help finding the plug that plugs into the brake light switch on a 1994 chevy van c20 4.3

Brake lights [ 6 Answers ]

When pushing the brake pedal on my 1997 ford explorer the brake lights do not come on. The bulbs are good and burn when lights are turned on.

1995 Nissan Altima Brake Lights stay on [ 1 Answers ]

My Altima's brake and parking lights stay on. I have taken the fuse out until I have the problem fixed. I checked under the dash and there are several switches located there. Not sure which one is for the brake light. Any suggestions?:mad:

View more questions Search