Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    santchago Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 10:11 PM
    How do I repair a leaking shower drain?
    My home was built in 1986. The masteroon has a one piece fiberglass shower stall. One day I noticed that the bedroom carpet outside the walls that surround the shower was wet. After further inspection I found mold under the carpet and it will have to be replaced.
    Apparnetly, water leaked from the shower drain. I removed the white shower drain cover and under it is a black flat round plastic seal about one inch wide. The inside of the black plastic seal appears perforrated. Apparently it broke away from a seal around the drain pipe. When we showered, some of the water went down outsise the drai pipe, into the floor and through the walls. I've exhausted my search for a drain kit. Is there a kit available or do I have to remove the entire stall? I do lots of handy shores around the house, replacing leaky faucets, toilets, etc. However, a leaking shower drain is my first experience and I need help. Thank you.
    Jim
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Jul 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Hello, can you post a picture of the drain. It sounds like the rubber gasket slipped out but its not clear what it is, maybe a bushing? We can help you better if you post a picture so we can see this plastic piece that came loose. Thanks ---Zeke

Jul 9, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Zeke:

Thank you for yout prompt response. Enclosed is an attached file with four pictures that may enable you to give me further suggestions.

#1 Drain cover (AB&A).
    #2 Underside of drain cover.
    #3 Gasket removed from inder side of drain cover.
    #4 What appears to be a thin flat plastic flange is removed from under side of drain cover. The inside of the horizontal flange is perferrated and apparently part of the drain body.

Thank you.

Jim
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Thanks for posting the photos. It is very helpful to see what are you talking about.

No, you don't have to remove entire shower unit to reinstall new drain seal. This type of drains installs from above. Just make sure your drain pipe is not damaged.

Purchase new drain. This new drain will be used only for spare parts. Use new gasket and nut that goes over the gasket. This type of drains are common and should fit w/o any problem.

I cannot recognize from the photo if your drain is threaded on the inside or you have "V" shaped plastic nut that wedges between drain wall, gasket and/or PVC drain pipe. In any case, reinstall these two pieces and all should be fine.

Jul 9, 2008, 09:13 PM
    Hello jim,thanks for the pictures, it looks like the top part of your drain is broken off, if you look closely to the inside edge of the black plastic piece that the strainer is on you can tell if its broken, the edge looks uneven and feels rough. If this is the case then there is no easy fix to this problem. If your on a slab then it looks like the only way to deal with this situation is by ripping out the fiberglass shower and replacing the unit with a three piece showerkit. Perhaps someone will have better news for you. Good luck ----Zeke

Jul 9, 2008, 11:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by truck 41
    hello jim,thanks for the pictures, it looks like the top part of your drain is broken off, if you look closely to the inside edge of the black plastic piece that the strainer is on you can tell if its broken, the edge looks uneven and feels rough. if this is the case then there is no easy fix to this problem. if your on a slab then it looks like the only way to deal with this situation is by ripping out the fiberglass shower and replacing the unit with a three piece showerkit. perhaps someone will have better news for you. good luck ----Zeke

ZEKE:

The inside edge of the horizontal flange is uneven and does feels rough. Apparently it broke off from the drain body. Someone suggested installing Plumb-Rite's WINGTITE Shower Drain. Have you heard of this drian kit?

Jim
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 11:53 PM
    That little chip in the PVC drain should not be there. However, your drain should drain just fine since the actual water sealing takes place below that chip.

Jul 10, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Hello jim, yes Ive never used the wingtite before but I would try the wingtite drain first before going any further, this will save you a lot of money if it works as good as it says it does. Im not to handy with computers so I don't Know how to put the web page but here it is. It gives you instructions on how to replace the drain, and how to order it. Let us know how it all works out. Good luck----Zeke

Plumb-Rite's Wingtite. "Replace the Drain, Not the Whole Shower plumb-rite wingtite shower drain

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete shower floor repair (cracked, leaking & painted) [ 1 Answers ]

I am updating my rough basement bathroom. I have two very young children, a boy and a girl and funds are very limited especially around this time of year. (My daughter is only nine-months and I am already thinking about the bathroom issues between her and my son). The shower has a painted concrete...

Shower drain leaking out of washer drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two showers upstairs and it just started leaking when the shower is running it will pour water out of the downstairs drain that the washer drains out of. What could this be

Repair leaded-in shower drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I need to replace a galvanized "p" trap which was leaded in the brass shower drain. I've got the old "p" out and have a new cooper tail piece ready to go into the existing lead. (The new "p" will be PVC and connected to existing downline pipes with a no-hub.) My Q: Can I heat the...

Shower drain repair [ 2 Answers ]

I believe my shower pan drain is leaking. When I step near the drain the thin washer between the shower base and the drain body squeezes out from under the drain lip. The base does give a little bit as I don't believe the shower drain nut was tightened enough before placing the shower base in...

View more questions Search