Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrianC80 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Freaked out by sparks and tripped circuit breaker
    Hi,

I had a circuit breaker box installed about a month ago. I also had recessed lighting installed in the bedrooms with dimmer switches. The wiring goes from the box to the attic and connects to the each lighting fixture. This was all done by a professional.

Today, just as I walked into my garage where the circuit breaker box is, I saw a spark come out of the box. It wasn't a continuous spark - just one or maybe two. Afraid to touch the box, I went around the house to see where the electricity was out. It was all the recessed lighting fixtures in the bedrooms.

About two hours later, I went to the breaker box and saw that one of the switches was in the middle position. I put it in the off position for one minute, then put it back into the on position. Ran back upstairs to the bedrooms and appears that all the recessed lights work again.

Should I be concerned about this? I'm wondering if it was the temperature, as it was nearly 90 degrees today and the attic probably gets over 100 degrees easily. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:16 PM
    If this breaker fed the newly installed recessed lights I would certainly call the installer to check things.
    Breakers do NOT trip like that (with a noticeable spark) for no reason.
    Moose1123 Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Jul 8, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC80
    Hi,

I had a circuit breaker box installed about a month ago. I also had recessed lighting installed in the bedrooms with dimmer switches. The wiring goes from the box to the attic and connects to the each lighting fixture. This was all done by a professional.

Today, just as I walked into my garage where the circuit breaker box is, I saw a spark come out of the box. It wasn't a continuous spark - just one or maybe two. Afraid to touch the box, I went around the house to see where the electricity was out. It was all the recessed lighting fixtures in the bedrooms.

About two hours later, I went to the breaker box and saw that one of the switches was in the middle position. I put it in the off position for one minute, then put it back into the on position. Ran back upstairs to the bedrooms and appears that all the recessed lights work again.

Should I be concerned about this? I'm wondering if it was the temperature, as it was nearly 90 degrees today and the attic probably gets over 100 degrees easily. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian
    Yes you should be very concerned. You may have an intermittent short, or a loose wire. The new breaker may be loose. I would call the electrician who installed it and tell them the situation. If you can turn the power off to the box might not be a bad idea. He should come out right away. You may have a fire hazzard brewing.

Jul 8, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    If this breaker fed the newly installed recessed lights I would certainly call the installer to check things.
    Breakers do NOT trip like that (with a noticeable spark) for no reason.

So I should ask him to check the line that runs from the breaker box to the recessed lighting units?

Moose, it wasn't the main breaker that went out -- should I just switch off the circuit breaker that controls the recessed lights?

Thank you,

Brian

Jul 8, 2008, 06:37 PM
    OK, not sure if this makes a difference, but one of the recessed lighting fixtures in the room is out. Does this matter? Could this one unit have malfunctioned causing the spark? My apologies for knowing so little -- you guys are very helpful.

Thank you,

Brian
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 07:54 PM
    A wire may have simply come loose in the fixture.
    I would turn off the breaker until he can come back to check it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

No power to section of house. No tripped circuit breaker [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently renovating a living room dining room area. I was done for the day and in the process of cleaning up. I had a compressor connected to an outlet on one side and was using it to blow off saw dust off my miter saw. No other tool or light fixture in the area was on. I then plugged...

Replacing Circuit Breaker with Higher AMP Breaker [ 8 Answers ]

Excuse me, I did look at the code book as is suggested in your Sticky. The NFPA may answer this question, but I am not knowledgeable enough to recognize it: Our offices are upstairs in an older (renovated home) building with modern wiring. We have 4 computers, 3 printers, and miscellaneous with...

Hampton bay ceiling fan, remote, tripped circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I apologize is this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find a similar situation: I'm installing a hampton bay fan with light and remote into a new home rough-in connected to two switches, one for the fan, the other for the light. Coming out of the ceiling box are white, black, red,...

Replacing a circuit breaker with a GFI breaker- q on neutrals [ 1 Answers ]

In process on installing withquestion on neutral wires. Do you take the neutrals out of the in the main panel neutral and put them in into the breaker where its labelled "load neutral terminal" and only have the neutral "pig tail" to the panel neutral bar? Thanks!

View more questions Search