Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chekei13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Help with yeast infection
    I am 24 years old and I have been having a recurring yeast infection for the past 5 months. It first started when I was on some antibiotics. I went to my doctor and they prescribed monistat. It cleared the infection up within a week. However, about 5 weeks later, around my period, my infection came back. So I went back to my doctor and she prescribed vagistat. It cleared it up again and she said that if it happened again to just use vagistat. Well, it has occurred 2 more times and it is always right around the time I get my period. I am getting pretty annoyed at it. Although the med's do work, it seems to reccur around the time of my period. I'm not on any birth control pills, I don't have diabetes or HIV, I don't douche, and I wear cotton undies. Any suggestions? :confused:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Hi,
    I can only offer this from my own experiences, as a 64 yrs old man.
    Yeast infections can also occur in men, and usually antibotics will take care of it. These infections act the same as others, in that they can become immume to certain antibotics; meaning different ones have to be tried to get rid of it.
    Taking antibotics for something else does sometimes cause yeast infections of the urinary tract, as you said.
    Have you tried Cranberry Juice? Drinking an 8 oz glass of Cranberry Juice, not mixed with other juices will help. OceanSpray Cranberry Juice is pure cranberry juice. My own doctor suggested it, and it worked for me.
    No, I don't drink this stuff every day, but did just as long as it took to help get rid of the infection, along with the antibotics.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Apr 25, 2006, 01:59 AM
    Some women are just prone to recurrent yeast infections. ( lucky us)
    I have found that eating one serving of live culture yogurt every day is very effective against recurrent infections. Antibiotics are a sure way to keep the little buggers around. Do you take a lot of tub baths? Sometimes this can contribute to the frequency of Y.I. If so take showers more often than baths.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 28, 2006, 02:20 PM
    If I were you I might ask about getting the prescription Diflucan. Along with the yogurt
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Apr 28, 2006, 03:03 PM
    I agree with J9. Diflucan is great. Another thing, have you changed soaps? Laundry soap or soap you wash with? Washing with just about any soap can kill the good bacteria. Hope that might help. Good luck.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 28, 2006, 04:05 PM
    The soap idea is great especially if you are now using an antibacterial soap. This kind of soap will kill any bacteria that will kill yeast. Along with getting off antibacterial soap and the diflucan, you can try any AF cream such as Lotrimin. The AF stands for anti-fungal and a yeast infection is a kind of fungus. For myself I use the Lotrimin AF instead of the Nystatin.
    sfilibeck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Hi, first of all I want to tell you NOT to take antibiotics... They will fix it right away but when it comes back the growth of the yeast will become worse because of the antibiotics killing all of your good bacteria working to cure the infection.. I recommend getting on a Probiotic (good Bacteria) this will help you get your good bacteria back into your body. Also if you want to drink juice do not drink juice with sugar in it, yeast lives and thrives on sugar. Yogurt is very good to make a habit into your diet. I also had reaccuring as you did and did this and it help lots. Another thing you can do is a candida cleanse. If you are looking for a good probiotic the one I take is called Inliven. It works wonders!! Sarahorganic.mionegroup.com

Hope this helps you

Sarah:) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yeast infection? [ 3 Answers ]

These were my other posts that will help me explain my new one. I have found a birth control that's doesn't make me feel sick and it has help my period so that it has finally stopped. I am getting a lot of discharge now which before I was told was overgrowth in yeast. This would be the third time...

Male yeast infection [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a way of curing a penile yeast infection naturally?. without using drugs of any kind. Your answer would be much appreciated.thanks!

Ear infection [ 6 Answers ]

My dog has an ear infection and the vet prescribed some ear drops. I was wondering if what Labman suggested for cleaning the ears can be done easily or should I have someone show me first then do it on my own. I really would hate to screw up his hearing or balance in case I poke something in the...

View more questions Search