Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2006, 02:03 PM
    Little Green Grounding Clips..
    I know this question is strange, but does anyone "correctly know how to use those green ground clips on standard steel switch/outlet boxes?" If you were holding the clip and the opening is to the right, where does the wire go in relation to the opening? Do you just slide the wire down through the left-side opening and then clip it to the box, or do you have to feed it someway through the side and then end. This is a very hard question to type, very awkward so I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. I always use screws, but was asked why and probably because I never thought of them or saw them as really being safe.:o
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2006, 02:23 PM
    This explanation is found at http://www.ul.com/regulators/ode/0904.pdf:

The proper method of installing a ground clip is to feed the equipment-grounding conductor into the grounding clip with the shorter part of the clip placed inside the box, and then use a screwdriver to force the clip onto the metal box, ensuring good contact to the enclosure. Since ground clips are forced onto a box, care should be taken when reusing a clip to ensure a good electrical connection to the box. Also, ground clips should never be forced onto the rounded portion of a plaster ring since a poor connection may result.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same clip, I have included a couple of pictures.

Notice the little bump? This is where the wire will lay between the box and the clip.

Hope this makes sense.

Apr 17, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Thank you again for the information, and if I read you correctly the ground wire goes in/through the clip. I did not realize that I could not use a wire nut in conjunction with a clip. If that's the case, then how can I connect to the ground terminal on a switch/outlet and ground the box with just one ground conductor?
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2006, 04:00 PM
    Where do you get that you cannot use a wirenut? The clip can be used to connect a pigtail to the box, and then splice the other end of the pigtail to any other ground wires in the box with a wirenut.

The clip is a simple method of connecting the ground wire to the box, instead of using a screw.

Apr 18, 2006, 05:14 AM
    Hello again! According to the .pdf I read from UL.com, on page 2 it states, "Where a 10-32 grounding hole is not already drilled and tapped in a box, a listed grounding clip may be used. Grounding clips are designed for termination of the conductor only, so installing a conductor through the clip and then back into the box to connect to a device or a wire nut is not acceptable." Or does that just imply you cannot "run it through" the clip? Thanks, as always!!
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2006, 10:02 AM
    If you have two cables coming into the box, that is two equipment grounding conductors, cut and splice one piece of wire for the box clip, and another for the device, so there is four wires under one wirenut.

Keep in mind this is only for metal boxes, and as stated . Only if a ground hole is not existing in the box.

That is one reason these are not used very often, as 99% of the metal boxes alsready have the #10-32 hole, and most even have the pigtail already mounted in the box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding Bar vs. Neutral Bar? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all. I have extended the wires from an unused 240 outlet to the backyard for a spa via a sub-panel. I also hooked up a new grounding electrode near it to avoid having to run a fourth wire all the way back to the main panel. This fourth wire goes to the small grounding bar in the sub-panel...

Generator grounding [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a 4400/3500 watt generator for a building project. The directions say that I need to ground the generator with a suitable grounding rod and stranded No. 12 AWG wire. I have never heard of contractors grounding their generators. Are they being careless, or are my generator...

Grounding an Outlet [ 22 Answers ]

I am moving into an older house that has only 2-prong outlets. Some are 3-prong, but they are not grounded (I have a power strip that tells you if it is gounded or not). I found this at Ace Hardware....

Where to install a Grounding Rod [ 14 Answers ]

My house is about 20 years old and I do not have a grounding rod installed. Although all the wiring is grounded to the water pipes, I would still like to install one. My question is how close or far from the main electrical box should the grounding rod be installed? On on the other side of the...

Help - What to do with the Grounding Wires [ 5 Answers ]

Because of brown waters, I want to re-run the hot/cold water pipes for the entire house. But there is one major problem, the existing galvanized pipes had some grounding wires attached to them and I'll plan to use the PEX pipe. I have no ideas how to run the new grounding wires when I take out...

View more questions Search