Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BeckyTheMom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Blown head gasket? How much to fix?
    My 2001 Cavalier is using coolant like crazy, leaking it as well. The motor oil is kind of lumpy, does this mean a blown head gasket & is it worth it to fix? Plus what do I get fixed? Thank you I can't afford to have someone take advantage & charge me a crazy amount of $:o
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Becky, this is not going to be an inexpensive fix as the engine is definitely leaking coolant into the oil. The longer you drive the car the more expensive the fix is going to be and the possibility of your engine seizing up totally! You are correct in thinking it is the head gasket causing the problem. Please call around to various good mechanics and ask them what they would charge. Would definitely steer clear of any dealership making the repairs as they tend to be very pricey. Ask a friend who they trust and use as a mechanic and call them. Get several estimates on this repair and then get an estimate in writing so they can't just do an expensive repair and expect you to pay if you did not approve of the repair before having the car repaired.

Usually the Cavaliers are good cars. I had two Cavalier station wagons and they were good cars but they were 1980's models. If the repair is too expensive for you - I'd rethink owning the car. But if you like the car and have not had much repair trouble with it - I'd say get it repaired. My mechanic taught me how to be aware of my vehicle and to take good care of it. Anytime you see fluid on the ground - unless it is water from the a/c unit - then pay attention to it and get the leaking fluid looked at asap. In your case with the vehicle using so much antifreeze, that should have given you the clue to investigate why so much fluid being used. The gasket itself is not expensive - but the labor to tear down the engine and put it back together is what is expensive.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyTheMom
    My 2001 Cavalier is using coolant like crazy, leaking it as well. The motor oil is kind of lumpy, does this mean a blown head gasket & is it worth it to fix? Plus what do I get fixed? Thank you I can't afford to have someone take advantage & charge me a crazy amount of $:o
    First: Which engine is in your car?
    Second: Is the oil "milky" and look like chocolate?

You may have a failed head gasket. Be prepared for some bad news: you could also have some damage or cracking to the cylinder head, which can drive the cost of repair much higher.

Jun 2, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    First: Which engine is in your car?
    Second: Is the oil "milky" and look like chocolate?

You may have a failed head gasket. Be prepared for some bad news: you could also have some damage or cracking to the cylinder head, which can drive the cost of repair much higher.
    I think it's a 2.2L
    The oil is like chocolate... How do I know if there's damage to the cylinder head? And is that fixable or do I have to replace it?
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Jun 3, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Don't worry too much about a cracked block. Everything that you stated indicates a blown head gasket which happens frequently on cars. Usually a cracked block is a result from the engine freezing up in the winter because your antifreeze was not adequately rated/mixed to prevent it from freezing. Not saying it does not have a cracked block but that a cracked block is such a remote possibly that it does not warrant worrying about.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    ... call around to various good mechanics and ask them what they would charge. Would definitely steer clear of any dealership making the repairs as they tend to be very pricey
    While some like the idea of more than one estimate and asking for personal references, your disparaging comments regarding the focused experience of factory trained dealer personnel is not only biased, but it is also irresponsible, in light of giving knowledgeable advice. Frequently, the more focused the technician is to a product, the more experienced and knowledgeable that technician becomes.

If you could have posted factual information to accredit your claim, for anyone to see, you did not post that.

Your experience nor your profile states anything substantially connected to the professional automotive industry. Hence, I can only speculate that your stated opinion is only that: opinion.
    You cannot define "expensive." Your idea of what expensive is, is different when is different when it comes to repairing an engine compared to replacing the entire engine, or perhaps you're recommend a whole car? To you the cost of a gasket is irrelevant or"not expensive", you don't state if the car's owner has any alternatives. Of which, there are many.

All options need to be explained properly.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 08:09 PM
    I think it's a 2.2L
    The oil is like chocolate...How do I know if theres damage to the cylinder head? And is that fixable or do I have to replace it?
    A "milkshake" here equals coolant mixing into the crankcase and frothing into the oil: hence the milkshake characteristics.
    Is it fixable? The cylinder head will need to come off and the mating surface of the head and the cylinder block need measured to determine whether they should be reassembled, machined, or if they should be completely replaced.
    Typically, the actual dollars vary substantially. Definitely get more than one estimate. Call around ask for specifics and also for their technician's credentials and also for what warranty will be offered with the repair.
    If you're still not certain, let us know what you find out by posting it here.

You also have to ask yourself, "Is the car worthy of the expense of repair?"
    Often it is less expensive to repair a car than it is to replace it. Only you can know if the car has other problems. Let your tech know so you can be as informed as possible.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Rich - I was not disparaging in my comments - I was only pointing out that if she took her car to a dealer she would probably be paying a lot more. Plus you have to remember her car was not brand new and in need of a factory focused personnel. I took my Dodge Van to the dealer to have a main oil seal repaired. The van was less than 2 months old. I had to go BACK to the dealer TWELVE times before they repaired it. I did not have the luxury of waiting for the vehicle and had to leave it. I for one, am not impressed with a dealer and their personnel. This was many years ago. Possibly things have changed but I have found that if I shop around I have much better luck with mechanics and my vehicles. I had what I thought was a problem with my Jeep and it going to be a $400 repair - I took it to a mechanic who had the exact old 1994 model that I have and he fixed the problem for $40. The dealer wanted $400 and I had it fixed for $40. Which would YOU have paid for this repair? Dealers are good for warranty work on the vehicle I have found. I have had at least 4 brand new vehicles and while the car was still under warranty I would take it to the dealer. After the warranty ended I would take elsewhere.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 04:28 PM
    It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience with one dealer, many years ago.
    That in and of itself doesn't make dealers "very pricy" nor does it say that because you can get it done cheaper that it's done properly. You site a good example of why everybody should shop around and ask for credentials. I've got mine and I so don't mind if a customer asks to see them.
    I tend you take your estimates with a grain of salt. If not, I could tell you that I got an estimate from one shop that was triple what I had it done at the dealer, because the dealer tech knew a faster way of doing it and was also aware of improved parts for that repair that would also eliminate me having to re-visit them to get it fixed right. Not to mention, many of the major repairs parts done on many GM vehicles, while out of warranty carry lifetime warranties. Nation wide. Dealers are good for far more than just warranty repairs.
    Keep your mind open when shopping for someone to work on your car.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Gee I guess two dealerships don't count for anything. The 2nd dealership that wanted to charge me $400 for an oil leak that turned out to be an oil ring ($2 part) at the oil sending device aperature that cost me $40 to have fixed was a righteous dealership? Not on your life. When car dealerships see girls coming they tend to start racking up a hefty bill. I always look to see if the mechanic has the proper credentials and is certified.

I had a master mechanic work on my cars when in I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for over 20 years. I would sometimes spend the entire day with him learning what he was doing under the hood with my car and with other cars that he repaired. He took care of Rolls, Mercedes, Vetts, BMWs, Cadillacs old and new, sports cars (all kinds) you name it. He was in a ritzy area of Las Olas Blvd where all the rich people took their cars to. He has his shop jam packed with all sorts of machines, analyziers, computers, brake turning machines, alignment machines, etc. and had lots of new parts for cars stored so he would have them on hand and not have to send out for them. He had 3 other top notch mechanics working there also and did a brisk business. I learned a lot from him and his crew in 20 years to know that you don't have to overcharge a customer but to give them good service at a decent rate. He didn't bother cheating his customers either. He didn't have to as he always had plenty of customers who referred their friends to his station who wanted their cars repaired properly. Oddly enough the Mercedes and Rolls owners would have him repair their cars as the dealers would charge too much. I guess rich people don't like to give their money away any more than poor people do.
    '
    'The poster is a girl who does not want to be taken advantage of. You being a man have NO idea what women go through to get their cars repaired properly without paying an arm and a leg. Sorry. I know. I've been there, done that until I learned how to troubleshoot my car's mechanical problems before I took it to any mechanic and know what it should cost barring any unforseen problems.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 02:48 PM
    If you opt to have the head gasket replaced, make sure that the shop has the cylinder head resurfaced and pressure tested for cracks. Failure to do this could result in you paying to have the work done again in a short time.

Jun 6, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Just my .02. I am not a female but know where both of you, twinkiedooter and Captain Rich are coming from. I have found that for general automotive repair work such as blown head gasket, water pump replacement, brake job, etc. that the dealer's seem to charge a bit more to sometimes quite a bit more then the average run of the mill (certified) mechanic that works out of or runs a non-specialty garage. It goes without saying that everyone wants quality work done with as little expense as possible. BUT on the other side of the coin, sometimes it warrants to go to the dealer and will actually end up costing less in the long run then going to the run of the mill mechanic no matter how good he is. The mechanics at dealerships are up-to-date on every system on their brand of car as well as have inside information on problem areas trends that develop on certain models and if you go to the dealer they more then likely will be able to "properly diagnose" and fix the problem immediately wherein the run of the mill garage may misdiagnose the problem and thinking it is something it is not, throw unneeded parts at it that cost you more in the long run and may not even fix the problem.

It is always a personal call on the owner, I have known people who will go no where but a dealer and I know others that avoid the dealer like the plague unless it is free warranty work.

Everyone hears the dissatisfaction stories from both dealers and regular garages but no one bothers to trumpet the 100's of vehicles fixed that were repaired and the owner wnet on their way with no further problems. You were very lucy twinkiedooter to have had the mechanic you were praising because he is the exception not the norm. It is unfair to disparage the dealer mechanics though because they are the "experts of their dealer brands" and sometimes, depending on the problem, it is better to choose the dealer then your run of the mill garage for that very reason.

Jun 17, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Gee I guess two dealerships dont count for anything. The 2nd dealership that wanted to charge me $400 for an oil leak that turned out to be an oil ring ($2 part) at the oil sending device aperature that cost me $40 to have fixed was a righteous dealership? Not on your life. When car dealerships see girls coming they tend to start racking up a hefty bill. I always look to see if the mechanic has the proper credentials and is certified.

I had a master mechanic work on my cars when in I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for over 20 years. I would sometimes spend the entire day with him learning what he was doing under the hood with my car and with other cars that he repaired. He took care of Rolls, Mercedes, Vetts, BMWs, Cadillacs old and new, sports cars (all kinds) you name it. He was in a ritzy area of Las Olas Blvd where all the rich people took their cars to. He has his shop jam packed with all sorts of machines, analyziers, computers, brake turning machines, alignment machines, etc. and had lots of new parts for cars stored so he would have them on hand and not have to send out for them. He had 3 other top notch mechanics working there also and did a brisk business. I learned a lot from him and his crew in 20 years to know that you dont have to overcharge a customer but to give them good service at a decent rate. He didnt bother cheating his customers either. He didn't have to as he always had plenty of customers who referred their friends to his station who wanted their cars repaired properly. Oddly enough the Mercedes and Rolls owners would have him repair their cars as the dealers would charge too much. I guess rich people don't like to give their money away any more than poor people do.
    '
    'The poster is a girl who does not want to be taken advantage of. You being a man have NO idea what women go thru to get their cars repaired properly without paying an arm and a leg. Sorry. I know. I've been there, done that until I learned how to troubleshoot my car's mechanical problems before I took it to any mechanic and know what it should cost barring any unforseen problems.

First of all thanks for all your help, I'm sorry people get petty in here when you've done nothing but offer great advice.
    Well I got qouted $2000 from Canadian Tire which of course I didn't do. Than a friend of my husbands (who is away with work) told me of a friend of his. He charged me $700 Canadian to change the gasket do some milling, change the oil, flush the coolant & oil. I did buy the part (head gasket) myself. Do you think this was a good price? He seemed pretty reasonable.

Jun 27, 2008, 10:25 AM
    If it was done properly, which it sounds like it was, that was a very fair price. As stated earlier the costs involve are not the parts in this type of repair but the labor involved and in your case the machine work when milling your head. I do a fair bit of repair for friends and usually charge them what works out to be around $25 - $30 an hour plus parts. The dealerships and mechanics charge anywhere from $65 - $105 an hour in this area. Although I am a lot cheaper, I am not as available because I can and do turn down work at times depending on schedule, circumstances, etc. I don't mind helping a friend save some money on a repair but if I did all the work asked of me I would no longer have a life.

I am glad everything worked out for you and you were able to save a substantial amount of money on your repair.
    jwrguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 17, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Why does everyone doubt good technicians? No one ever posts crap on here about the Dr. which you usually see 3 times before they cure you
    kel88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 06:35 PM
    Dealerships are rip-offs but they do know what is wrong with their cars... I say go to dealerships for diagnosis then have the repair done at your trusted mechanic's shop who can charge a lot less.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 20, 2010, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kel88 View Post
    Dealerships are rip-offs but they do know what is wrong with their cars... I say go to dealerships for diagnosis then have the repair done at your trusted mechanic's shop who can charge a lot less.
    Can you elaborate? Post some facts to support your statement?
    If your "trusted mechanic's shop" is able to do the work, can't they properly diagnose the problem?
    If they "can charge a lot less," are they using the same quality parts?
    staceybeck01 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2012, 07:44 AM
    The cost can range depending on the car you drive and where you go. My brother in law had to get a <a href="http://www.seal-a-head.com">head gasket repair</a> not to long ago and although I don't remember the exact price, I do remember him saying it was quite a bit. It's more expensive because it involves multiple parts of the car including the engine. It's not just switching out one part.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown head gasket! [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I have a blown head gasket. I would like to know if it would be best to get it fixed or get a new engine? Why does it cost so much to replace the head gaskets? If I decide to get a engine would it be better to get a new, rebuilt, or used engine?

Blown head gasket [ 5 Answers ]

Someone is selling a acura legend for 1000. It has a blown head gasket is it worth buying and fixing?

Blown head gasket in two weeks? [ 3 Answers ]

I had just replaced the head gasket water pump and timing belt. Two weeks ago, had the head shaved and got a valve job. The only thing replaced on the valve job were the valve guides. Put everything back together ran great for two weeks and I was driving and all the sudden stopped at a stop sign...

1995 Nissan Altima-blown head gasket [ 1 Answers ]

Why won't our Altima start with a blown head gasket? We want to try to fix it ourselves, but are confused as to why it won't start? Would like to confirm my idea why before I start tearing it apart! Any ideas?

Blown head gasket [ 0 Answers ]

I have a geo prism with a blown head gasket. Is there any way I could fix it cheap, even if I jerry-rig it? Thanks. Ian

View more questions Search