Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phooey Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 11:46 PM
    CD Drive Only Reads Certain CD's.
    My CD drive on my comp only reads certain CDs. I bought three CDs today, 2 of them were read by my drive, the third wasn't. I stick the cd in, and it just keeps spinning and spinning and spinning, with the green light flashing. Help!!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Have you tried the disc in another PC to see if same thing happened, music or movie CD?
    Checked the disk for scratches and is clean?
    Is the cd rom drive old?

Jun 22, 2008, 01:53 AM
    Yes, that's the only way I could get the music from the CD to my comp (had to use the upstairs comp and a memory stick), brand spanking new, right out of the package. The CD drive is rather new I guess, looks like it came with the comp which was "Designed for XP", but not to sure, got it from my moms co-worker.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Is the comp you tried first "older" it is possible of the lens in the drive may be getting old/dirty
    See if you can get hold of a lens cleaner for cd driver to see if that would help

Jun 26, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Thanks! I'll definitely try that next pay check. Just in case it doesn't work, what else could be the problem?
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Besides going upstairs like you already have, if a cleaner does not help, it could be the drive itself - if it's not the disc and the lens is clean the last thing would be the drive

Jun 27, 2008, 12:34 AM
    ^^ awesome thanks a trillion! I'm guessing just replace the drive then if that doesn't work.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Try a drive and also when replacing the drive, see if the cable that is connected to the drive is also connected to the hard drive.

If it has it's own cable, may want to replace that also.

If same thing with new drive and it is connected to same cable, definitely replace the cable

Jun 27, 2008, 11:49 PM
    Awsome thanks a lot, have a good 1 eh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many 1 hour CD's can I get on 1 GB hard drive? [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to put music on a computer. Thank you, Steve Oakford

Drive won't read blank cd's [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, is there anyone out there that can help me? All of a sudden my drive won't recognize blank cd's when inserted. I try to burn music cd's and put a blank disc in but it keeps saying "no disc inserted". I am running Windows XP, the computer is about a year and a half old. Don't know...

Asus dvd-rom not reading cd only reads dvd [ 0 Answers ]

Hi guys! I'm having a bit of problem with my asus dvd-rom,it use to read all CDs and DVDs but I installed MAGICDISC,and ISOBUSTER and since then it only reads DVDs but not any CDs. Ihave uninstalled the MAGICDISC and ISOBUSTER but it still will not read ANY CDs. If anyone could help me to fix...

CD Drive reads only copied cds [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I've tried just about everything but no matter what I do my cd drive will only read copied cds If I'm installing a program I have to get a friend to rip a copy just so I can use my printer or whatever. The drive shows as if it's there but just won't read new cds

91 Honda Civic - LED Reads 8? [ 3 Answers ]

The LED under the rug on a 91 Honda Civic - cranking but not starting has spark & fuel (just changed fuel pump evidently without reason, Main Relay Test good) LED blinks eight times. #8 = TDC Top Dead Center Timing. Does this mean the timing is off? If so need a fix.. probably a new belt as well...

View more questions Search