Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmatti33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Hot water to all areas except upstairs shower
    My upstairs shower is getting no hot water but the sinks in same bathroom get hot water as well as downstairs kitchen, washer and bathrooms. One thing that might have caused this is this upstairs shower has not been used in awhile. I have one gas hot water heater located in garage. What can I do to get hot water flowing to this shower?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 7, 2006, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmatti33
    My upstairs shower is getting no hot water but the sinks in same bathroom get hot water as well as downstairs kitchen, washer and bathrooms. One thing that might have caused this is this upstairs shower has not been used in awhile. I have one gas hot water heater located in garage. What can I do to get hot water flowing to this shower?
    The first thing is take off the shower head. If you see a rubber washer with holes around the edges that would be a water saver. Pry it out and toss it.
    Try the water now with the shower head off. Still no water? Now I need the name of the valve and it's age and type, (one handle or two knobs?). Do you flush your heater on a regular basis? Regards, Tom
    tmatti33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Thanks for response. I haven't been able to get the shower head off yet since no time to look into due to working so much. I'll look at in May and consult with local Home Depot. However, it's type is one handle and less than 4 years old and I have never flused my heater since moving into this new home.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 15, 2006, 11:17 AM
    OK! First things first. Before I have you tear onto the valve you must check the shower head. And I need a brand name for the valve in question, it should be on the face plate. In the mean time let me show you how to flush your heater so you won't have this happening to your other faucets.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water to upstairs shower [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I hope someone can help! Yesterday I had only hot water running in my upstairs shower and assumed it was a valve problem.. . But this morning I have no water, not even a drip, and when I run the water in the sink in the next room it comes up the drain of the shower and does not drain back...

Low pressure in my upstairs bathroom shower [ 7 Answers ]

I need some help. My bathroom on the 2nd floor has very little hot water pressure in the sink and shower... I cleaned out the screens and had my hot water heater flushed... any ideas?

No water upstairs! [ 2 Answers ]

We are replacing our bathroom. In anticipation of putting the new bath in, we turned off the stopcocks. There was a slight delay in replacing the bath so we turned the stopcock back on. Problem is, we have water downstairs but no water upstairs. There is a very slight trickle of hot water but no...

Leak in ceiling from upstairs shower [ 2 Answers ]

The ceiling in my downstairs bathroom leaks when the upstairs shower is used. The leak starts about five minutes after the shower has been turned on and continues after the shower is turned off. The leak is coming from two or three small holes in the wood directly beneath the upstairs shower. ...

Leak from upstairs shower drain [ 5 Answers ]

My house is about 2 years old and the original owner had an extra upstairs bathroom installled by a plumber rather than the builder. The shower is used infrequently and I noticed a leak on the first floor ceiling today. Should I expect the plumber to honor the work after a 1 1/2 years and prior...

View more questions Search