Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Banne1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Toilet runs periodically
    My toilet will start running every half hour or so. It does not occur after flushing and when the running occurs, jiggling the handle does not help. I've looked in the tank and nothing appears wrong (of course that doesn't mean anything!). It is a Kohler and is about 5 years old. Any direction would help. Thank you!!
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 23, 2008, 05:38 PM
    It's likely the flapper vave leaks slowly, dropping the water level until the float opens its' water valve... jiggling the handle can't help... Flapper valves, handle chains and so-on are readily available and cheap... The water in the tank is tap-water, no matter the sediment on the walls of the tank... use a paper towel to wipe the flapper valve seat when doing the job, and inspect for nicks, tears or sediment accumulation... Good luck...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Rasin2004 is right on. Use that paper towel to handle the old flapper. That deteriorated rubber will put black on every in site.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 24, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Both great answers. Run your finger around the flappers flat part. If it's wavy then replace it. When you replace the flapper it will have to be adjusted. With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit untill I have the desired play in the linkage. One more thing about a flapper. you will see where the old flapper hooks onto the base of the white overflow tube. On a older type with no hooks the flapper has a ring that slips down over the overflow tube to the seat. If your tank has hooks, take a sharp knife or scissors and cut the neoprene ring off on the marks provided and hook the flapper on the hooks. Leaving the ring on will interfere with the flush. The water level in your tank should be 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube when the tank's filled. And the little tube wants to run from the ballcock and connect to the white overflow tube.. good luck, Tom
    ohfisherman Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Put a few drops of food coloring in the tank after it fills up. You will see the color flow into the bowl from the bottom indicating a flapper problem. I usually use blue or red for a light color toilet...
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Every one is helping you and I will share the following link with you at may help you, Thanks.

John

Replace The Toilet Fill Valve, Flush Valve Or Flapper

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water runs into toilet bowl all the time [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 yr old manufacture home and from almost day one both toilet have been running water into the bowl all the time. We have changed the flappers in both twice. The water may stop running for a short time, but always starts again. Besides increasing our water bill, the master bath runs so...

Toilet Runs too much [ 3 Answers ]

I flush the toilet and it keeps running and does not stop. I take off the toilet top and plunge myhand into the water. The running water stops. What is the cause of this? Please help and thanks. Mark

New Toilet Runs slow, occasionally [ 3 Answers ]

I have a toilet that occasionally runs slow. I.E. it fills up, and slowly spins and drains. It'll remain like this till I take a plunger and give it a plunge. Then it will run normal. It has happened twice. The first time it happened only with liquids in the toilet. The second time, it was...

Toilet runs [ 3 Answers ]

I have a two story house, with two bathrooms up and a half bathroom on the main level. My shower in the master bathroom will smell like sewer in mid-shower ( I don't think that it is me either ha, ha). Also, when we flush the master bathroom toilet, the other toilet upstairs will run for a half...

Toilet water runs through bowl but will not flush? [ 3 Answers ]

For several days I've had a problem with my toilet not flushing.The tank fills and empties and the debries go down but the water won't swirl or flush with the solid wast? I've tried plunging,clearing all holes and adjusting float and other things but can't find reason. It's not pluged,or septic is...

View more questions Search