Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miatisha74 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Is it safe to shower after sex?
    My boyfriend is really fond of taking shower. He always showers after sex. Whenever he would invite me to shower with him after sex, I am hesitant because I always hear my parents talk that showering after sex is not good for the health. Also, a married roommate advice that if you have sex in the dawn, you cannot shower in the morning. So my question is, are they correct? Is it safe to shower after sex or not?
    SHERRYANDGREG Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Jun 23, 2008, 07:02 AM
    miatisha74, I see from your other post asking can you take a shower after a massage that you just have a problem with showers! It is pretty much okay to take a shower when ever you like. Some people think taking a shower after a massage may take away some of the relaxing effects but it is not going to kill you. And a shower after sex is just proper hygiene. There is no reason not to shower after sex. I am hoping that you asking this kind of question does not mean you are way to young to be having sex!
    miatisha74 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Hi sherryandgreg, thanks for taking time to answer my question. I am not too young to be having sex but this is the first time that I have a boyfriend who prefers to shower after sex or after a massage instead of resting or sleeping. I don't have a problem with showers either however in the family where I grow up there are a lot of restrictions. My mother and grandmother always tell us it is not allowed to shower when you have your period, not allowed to shower after a massage, not allowed to shower after an aerobics or strenuous exercise (as you will get varicose veins). Although they did not tell us directly that it is not allowed to shower after sex, I heard them talking about it. Even though there are no scientific explanation, we try to follow as they always say wisdom of the old cannot harm you. These issues did not even bother me until I got this boyfriend who is fond of shower. I was searching in Google for any scientific explanation regarding my concern but I could not find any and instead my search leads me to this site. Hoping I could get any scientific explanation from my questions because the "wisdom of the old" that my mother and grandmother taught us has been followed since I was a teenager and if I violate I feel like there is a psychological effect. There was one time where I forgot that I had a full body massage then I wash my feet. At midnight I was brought to the hospital for diarrhea and dehydration. At noon before that, I ate seafoods but none in the family who ate the same thing got diarrhea so my mother blame me for washing my feet. Until now I am still left with questions that "did washing my legs cause the diarrhea"? Or I am just having a psychological effect?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 01:56 PM
    That was sheer coincidence what happened to you when you washed your feet! After sex it is a good idea to take a bath or a shower. Your boyfriend has the right idea. If you go to sleep immediately after having sex your body tends to smell a bit when you wake up in the morning. I am sure he does not want to offend you with his body odor and that's why he opts to shower afterwards. If I were you I definitely would join in with him and shower so you are fresh in the morning when you wake up.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Well, I enjoy a shower before sex. It's not mandatory, though.
    SHERRYANDGREG Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Jun 24, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Miatisha, I understand where you are coming from with it being tradition, but a lot of things people use to do years ago are no longer considered safe or necessary. We tend to refer to "wisdom of the old" as old wives tales now. The reason for that is they were just that tales. Here are some web pages that may help you out some. Candid Conversations » Blog Archive » Candid Conversation: Should you shower immediately after sex to keep yourself clean?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_wives'_tale
    drtshafi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 05:19 PM
    This shower is called ghusl al-janabah according to the Shari`ah (Islamic law). It is obligatory to take a full bath after sexual intercourse or ejaculation (i.e. in a wet dream or if sperm comes out due to sexual desire, also sexual dream and discharge in the case of women). This is mentioned in the Qur'an and the Sunnah. The purpose of this bath is to clean the body and refresh the spirit. Sexual emission is not just an ordinary matter like urination or defecation. When it happens, the whole body, mind and spirit get involved in it. After it, one feels lazy and dull. The full shower makes a person fresh in body and spirit. There are many spiritual as well as physical and medical benefits in it. But for a Muslim, it is the command of Allah and His Messenger and it must be followed."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it safe to shower after a full body massage? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend is so hard headed. He never listens to me if I told him not to shower after a massage. I usually give him a full body massage and he showers after . He told me that in the hotel where he had professional massage he was allowed to shower. When I ask a massage therapist from a salon,...

Is PEX safe? [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering replacing the old galvanized piping in our 1920s home with PEX tubing. I know it has been up for environmental/safety review in California. I also know it has been used in Europe for years seemingly without consequence. I want your opinions/experiences: Is PEX safe for drinking...

Is It Safe? [ 11 Answers ]

Is it dangerous to do what I do, what some of us on here do? Are we being ignorant of the nature of depression and is it potentially dangerous for us to attempt to give advice to obviously depressed people?

Is it safe [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking levothyroid because I have hyphothyroid, is it safe if I will take glutathione?

Is It Safe? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to lighten my skin not just to get lighter I have an excuse. One summer when I was in middle school I had to go to summer school and we were outside for a long period under the sun. That is when my life changed my face got pitch black dark I mean real dark but the rest of my body stayed it's...

View more questions Search