Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajuneman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Washer/dryer moved into the garage
    I am moving my washer/dryer into the garage and don't have any clue where to start. My husband and I are pretty handy just need to know the basics. He is good with the electrical part of it. It is the washer that we have questions about. We have a subfloor, so that makes it a little easier. Is there a spasific site I could look at or a book to buy. Thank you for your help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Ajuneman:

You should plan on pulling an electric as well as a plumbing permit for this job

You will need to cap the old water lines AND the old drain pipe.

Then, asumming an electric dryer... You should just need to run 1/2" water lines to new single lever washing machine valve (see last picture on right) and a 2" PVC drain line to the garage.

The drain line will need either an 1.5" vent to come off the drain pipe and be run up and out the garage roof (2" penetration through the roof)... or you may be able to install an AAV (air admittance valve) in place of the vent... but that will depend on the local plumbing inspector and whether he allows them.

An AAV (see pic.) is a mechanical vent that allows air to enter the drain line when fixture is draining, but again, not always allowed... they must be kept accessible at all times (if in wall just need an access panel to get to it).

I have also attached a picture of how to pipe the drain and the vent (if no AAV allowed)... you just need to ignore the sink drain on the right in the picture... ok?

You should also install a full size 2" cleanout at the washing machine and again where you connect the 2" drain into the pipes in the house.

The pipe that comes from the laundry box in the picture to the 2" PTRAP (see pic. of PTRAP) needs to be between 18 and 36 inches long (I usually go about 24-30 inches long). The box should be up somewehere around 48 inches off the floor (to top of box). By the way...you don't have to use the laundry box (see picture of washing machine box)...can just end with a pipe out of the trap and two boiler drains (valve for going from copper pipe to washing machine hose)...the box just looks nicer in wall.

Then, you should just need to hook the 4" dryer vent through the garage wall to a dryer vent and then finish the electric and you should be all set... ;)

Let me know what else you need to know... MARK
    Attached Images

smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 03:08 PM
    It is a heated garage, that is, if you are in an area with low winter temperatures?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving Inside Washer & Dryer to Garage [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchased a single story home in FL. The layout of the home has the washer & dryer in the hallway. It's a narrow hallway and a small laundry space. The space really isn't conducive for a family with lots of laundry. I was considering moving the washer & dryer to the garage. The...

Kenmore washer keeps coming unblanced after we moved to our new house [ 5 Answers ]

I have a top loader Kenmore washer that during the sping cycle it keeps coming unbalanced and rattling real bad.. Ive tried leveling it but it keeps doing it its less than a year old any suggestions? Appreciated, Dustin Jobe

Kenmore washer dryer combo 110-92966-102,washer agitates for a little then it stops. [ 0 Answers ]

Kenmore washer dryer combo 110-92966-102, The washer will fill and it will agitate for a little bit for about a minute, then it will stop before finishing.When it stops there is no motor sound.No matter what I set the knob to it will not start up again,but if I wait several minutes it will...

Moved Washer upstairs, Q about venting [ 4 Answers ]

I wish I had discovered this forum earlier... I moved my washer/dryer upstairs and had no trouble doing the plumbing, I thought :-) It is working fine so far, but after reading some posts it seems I may should have vented the washer drain. Currently it is on a 40" stack pipe. The...

Washer moved now it overflows at the drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just recently moved and installed a washer into a new location. I washed a load in the washer and the drain backed up. I had another washer in the same location, but didn't have any drain problems. Is it my washer, washer hose or maybe my drain is clogged?:confused:

View more questions Search