Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ArianeTrue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Is it illegal for a 13 yr old to date an 18 yr old?
    I'm 13 and interested in this guy who's 18. This guy is also interested in me. We both feel the same way about sex (not having it) and I know he means this because I met him through my cousin and we've been hanging out for about a year. I think the relationship is only illegal if were sexually active; but he says its illegal anyway. I just wanted to know if its always illegal of if its only illegal if were having sex...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 10:08 PM
    A 13 year old has no busienss "dating" a 18 year old, there is not enough common interests and even things they should be doing together and sorry but the only reason I could even image a 18 wanting to date a 13 year old would be sex.

But no, this relationship would only get the 18 year old in all types of trouble
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 02:33 AM
    ... what are you two going to talk about?

18 year old: I'm going to college next year
    13 year old: I'm going to high school next year.

... completely different
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    ...what are you two going to talk about?

18 year old: I'm going to college next year
    13 year old: I'm going to high school next year.

...completely different

I was thinking more along the lines of:

"I love Hannah Montana"

"Who?"
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 23, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ArianeTrue
    This guy is also interested in me.

I think the the relationship is only illegal if were sexually active; but he says its illegal anyway.
    Sorry, Ariane, but this guy is NOT very interested in you. He's using the law as an excuse not to date you to be nice.

There are no laws governing dating. You are correct that the laws only refer to sexual activity.

I agree with the others that the gulf between a 13 yr old and an 18 yr old is too wide. I don't know what you mean by "hanging out", but I suspect he looks on you more as a little cousin, than dating material.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Scott beat me to it. QI was going to say the same thing, that he thinks of you as a little sister or cousin, not as a date.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 12:31 PM
    There may be some laws that would apply here because anytime she is with him he is the " adult " in the situation. Anything he might do with her could render a charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Staying out late ( past curfew ), watching an R rated movie etc. Also any activities such as driving too fast he could face child endangerment charges. Anyway you look at it 18 y/o and 13 y/o dating is a bad mix.
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

Jun 23, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Look I agree scott. He just isn't interested. Its OK to be friends and talk sometimes but he's an adult and you're a teenager, you are at two really different stages of life and it won't work. He should be working on starting his life and becoming a man. And your nowhere near that stage. Sorry I don't think its going to work
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 12:54 PM
    I'm 13 and interested in this guy who's 18. This guy is also interested in me. We both feel the same way about sex (not having it) and I know he means this because I met him through my cousin and we've been hanging out for about a year. I think the the relationship is only illegal if were sexually active; but he says its illegal anyway. I just wanted to know if its always illegal of if its only illegal if were having sex...
    A lot of this is going to depend on what your parents say - our aunt and uncle who (presumably) are your cousin's parents.

Do your parents have a problem with this? Your aunt and uncle? Does anyone know you and this person are discussing having or not having sex?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Is it illegal for a 13 yr old to date an 18 yr old?
    Hello ArianeTrue:

No.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it illegal for a 15 y/o to date a 19 year old without sexual activity? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 15 years old turning 16 in three months. I met this guy who just turned 19. I have no intent of any sexual activity until I am married. My uncle and aunt have known him for a few years and they love the guy. They invited him over their house to talk to me. Mind you these people are...

Is it illegal for an 18 year old to date a 13 year old? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in a situation which I am stuck in... I like this 18 year old boy, but I'm not sure if it illegal for him to date me... is it illegal in california? And I also want to know what is the age limit in order for it to be illegal... (like an 18 year old dating a 17 or younger) in california ...

Is it illegal to date someone underage? [ 8 Answers ]

If one person is twenty two and the other person is turning seventeen soon and they do not have sex and won't be having sex or anything like that? And the mother of the younger person approves.

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search