Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheHouseIsMine Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Does Mac use RAM differently than PC?
    I need to buy a laptop for my daughter for college. She wants a MAC. Fine. But in trying to decide what to buy, I'm lost. I'm used to PC's and Windows based laptops where the more RAM and the bigger the hard drive, the better. Throw in a great processor and you've got a great PC or laptop. But I remember looking at a MAC someone bought long ago when they told me that part of the beauty of the MAC system is that it used memory more efficiently and therefore didn't need as much. So, what do I look for in a Macbook? Is less memory OK? Does she need a big hard drive? Help, please, if you can.
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Jun 22, 2008, 01:58 PM
    See the following link for a Mac vs PC review from CNET

CNET Prizefight: Mac vs. PC laptops - CNET reviews

My son is an IT engineer and uses both.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Before she wins the MAC vs. PC debate, find out what she's going to be using the laptop for. I paid $450 for my daughter's PC laptop and added another $50 to max the memory and she's good to go.

MAC is a great "want", but paying 2-3 times the price needs to be legitimately supported, in my opinion. Just email, normal homework and web stuff... a cheap PC would get my vote... but only because college is already costing us $2000 a month. Every penny has to be pinched.

BTW, two years later that $450 laptop is still chugging along quite swimmingly...
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jun 24, 2008, 01:48 PM
    To answer the specific question you asked (and without getting into a Mac vs. PC flame war - contact me privately if you want more information on Mac vs PC from my perspective as a user of both for many years), you can get her a bottom of the line MacBook for $1099 with 1Gb RAM and it will be fine as long as she's not going to be running Windows on top of the Mac OS with Parallels. You typically need more RAM for Windows machines, that's true. But RAM is cheap enough these days that it's not a major cost factor. BTW, you can often get reconditioned MacBooks at the Apple store for under $1000... and even cheaper on Craigs List.

My recommendation? If it's intended for her school years until she can afford something better when she graduates, get her a cheap Windows machine BUT make sure she has good antivirus software installed and knows how to surf safely. If you want something that will still be running strong after graduation... get her the MacBook.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

13 year old ADHD acting very differently.lazy and disrespectful [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I have 13 year old son with ADHD. He has been treated since grade 3. He is a well behaved child who usually needs reminders to keep his focus. He has always been self centered, but not in an intentionnaly cruel way. Lately, since turning 13 he has changed completely. He is very...

I'm not gay, but I think I'm attracted to women differently from other men? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm not gay, because I find women very attractive, but I've learned I don't see women as most men do. Most men seem obsessed with physical attractiveness. I like to see a pretty girl for sure, but I get more pleasure out of an emotional bonding than I think I would in a physical, sexual bonding. ...

Charged stated differently [ 3 Answers ]

My neighbor's relative was charged with shoplifting a few years back. He was not arrested. Just to appear in court. He paid a $144.00 fine. For a misdemeanor charge. He notice in the law enforcement database the charge is defrauding An innkeeper. With a different statues number than...

View more questions Search