Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tajk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 05:04 PM
    Gas Stoves connection to gas line
    I had a serviceman connect my gas stove/range back up to the gas line. When I asked him if he used teflon tape or liquid pipe dope he said neither as my compression fittings was a type that did not need it. I was not aware there was such a compression fitting. The gas line does not appear to be leaking at this time but could it begin leaking at some point in the future?
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 12, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Is the connector made of smooth copper pipe, or is it a pre-made flexible connector? Flare fittings do not require any thread sealant, because the flare is inside the fitting and the gas doesn't reach the threads making any sealing compound useless, giving false hope of protection. On the other hand, most flare connections require the flare fitting to be screwed onto regular black pipe, which would require a thread sealant. I usually use teflon tape for water connections and teflon paste for gas connections. If there are threaded connections that were sealed before and not disturbed, chances are they are still sealed. If all he did was disconnect and reconnect the same range, he is most likely correct. With that said, it's your house and it's your range and it's your life. If you are not comfortable, you should be more than welcome to contact the servicer and ask for further explanation, assuming he charged you a fee for the service he rendered.
    NaturalGasMan Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 10:44 AM
    If you read the instructions on the flex connector it states NOT to use any tape or sealant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New LAN connection [ 3 Answers ]

How would i be able to create a lan between my desktop and laptop, Please anybody help me Too urgent.

Water line connection for refrigerators [ 9 Answers ]

I'm purchasing a side-by-side refirgerator with a water dispenser and ice maker. The plumber ran a length of thin copper tubing from the sink to through the wall to eventually connect to the appliance. Is that all it takes? Should a shut-off valve be placed on the tubing where it will connect to...

Two Stoves on one circuit [ 4 Answers ]

My house has wiring for two stoves on one 220v circuit. One is in the kitchen upstairs and the other in a second kitchen downstairs. I have just been using the upstairs kitchen and would like to put a stove in downstairs now. The former owner had a dryer in the downstairs stove location. The...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

Dsl connection [ 1 Answers ]

When connecting High Speed DSL connections,which connection is better,USB or Ethernet, I can use either one

View more questions Search