Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BACLARSEN Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Grounding rod for shed
    I have built a work shop in my back yard, I want to put a sub box in the shed.
    The shed is 2 1/2 ft. from my main breaker box. I plan on putting a 100 amp
    Breaker in the main box to feed the work shop sub box. The sub box will have
    Separate c/b's for all the circuit's but no main breaker. My question is do I have to have a separate grounding rod for the sub box even though the grounding rod for the main box is just outside, or can I use the same rod as the main box? If I must use separate rod how far apart do they have to be?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Sorry, you need a separate Grounding rod and EGC.

Jun 18, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Ok, How far apart do they have to be? Or does it matter?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 04:19 PM
    I'd say it's the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiiction) call. Personally, I think the separate ground rod isn't necessary, but it's not my call to make.

I might consider a panel with a main breaker. The main one in the shed would act as a disconnect and your allowed to have two. The shed's breaker CAN be higher than the feeder.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 06:58 PM
    I'm with KISS. You certainly CAN use the existing rod if you can reach it.

You DO need a disconnect in a detached structure with a panel. A main breaker panel is by far the easiest way to achieve this.

Jun 19, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Thanks for all the replies I think I will use the existing grounding rod. (kiss)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leveling for a shed [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought an 8X12 wooded shed kit for my backyard (including floor kit). I will not be using concrete, unless this is recommended? My problem is that I have a very unlevel yard. A local stone company recommended stone to level it, is this a good idea? Also where I want to put it is a low...

New Shed Wire [ 10 Answers ]

Built a new shed want to run a wire to shed to run 2 outlets 2 inside lights and an outside light I want a switch to ouside light in house and also in shed. I am going to use 12/2 wire encased in pcv pipe buried at least a foot in ground. I need to know how to wire this up and also can I pull the...

Wooden shed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a large wooden shed by my house we just had a tree cut down I would like to move it to the back of the yard what's the best way to move one of these sheds

Trying to shed fat, but no change! [ 10 Answers ]

Hi! I am 24 years old, 5'6", and 164lbs. I started gaining weight around 17/18, and have had trouble with it ever since. I was a lean 126lbs in high school, got married, and packed it on. I didn't really eat healthy at that time, but when I went through divorce 3.5 years later I started working...

Wiring a shed [ 2 Answers ]

I just finished building a storage shed and want some electricity out there... what type of wiring and cost would it be to run 30-40 feet or wire?what other materials am I going to need? Thanks for any suggestions... later

View more questions Search