Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poweritems Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 09:25 PM
    How to go from 200Amps/208V/3 phase to 600Amps/480V/3 phase
    I am starting a business and have equipment that requires 600Amps/480V/3 phase, but the site I want to rent has only 200Amps/208V/3 phase. Is there anything I can do to get the required power on that site? Any equipment I can buy to achieve this goal? I understand it may be costly. Thank you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 01:56 AM
    That's like going from nearly 72,000 Watts (72 KVA, 95 Horsepower) to nearly 500,000 W ( 500 KVA, 670 Horsepower) or nearly a factor of 8 difference in power required for the building.

Hopefully you have a load calculation done and that figure is right and you have a list of all the loads at the required voltages.

The utility would have to be consulted to see if that much power is available from them.

The building may be supplied with a voltages in the kilovolt level or direct from pole mounted transformers at the 208 V 3 phase level.

Within the building, the voltages would have to transformed to 480, 277 (lighting), 208/125 VAC and power panels created for each voltage level and the distribution system set up to power each of the subpanels.

Definitely not DIY.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 02:23 AM
    100% certainly NOT DIY!!

Call an electrical contractor, a good one. Not some handyman who does electrical work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Detail explanation of eletrical between 3 phase and single phase [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I do confuse between 3 phase and single phase,may I get some detail and comparison for each of them?

208v 3-Phase [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We have a 208v 3-phase panel in our server room filled with 20amp circuits. We would like to change them to 30amp circuit that goes to the twist lock circuits so we can plug in bigger equipment. If all possible. What I can’t figure out is how many 30-amp circuits we can get in the 208v...

How am I going to size my 3 phase X'mer with 1 phase load using current as reference [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Peping: I have 90 pieces of single phase loads with current of 2 Amperes. This will be loaded to a 3 phase transformer, Wye connected having a line to line voltage of 220 Volts. What will be the size of the transformer required for the mentioned loads? Many thanks, Peping

208v single phase wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect a 208v single phase appliance to my home circuit panel? I installed a 30amp breaker which has 2 connections, red and black (hot), then I have white (neutral), and green for ground. The device only as 2 connectors not 3, plus ground? Thanks

120v/208v single phase appliance wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased a coffee machine that has the above reqts. I understand that it has 220 and 110v circuits that need power. I also purchased a generator to power this brewer outside. If I use a NEMA L14-30P plug, to connect into the generator, What is the sequence of wiring for the plug three...

View more questions Search