Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmydale Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Adding drain for washing machine - do I need a pea trap and vent?
    I am installing 2 new washers and dryers on each floor in our two flat in a kitchen pantry (the building is 120 year old frame building.)

We are installing the wall insert that has the hole for the water coming in and a hole to put the drain hose going out. I know it has to be about 42" off the floor, but do these drains also need to have pea traps and a vent pipe?

If so, how far down do I need to put the pea trap? And then where do I need to put the vent? I am using 3" PVC for the drain and 2" PVC for the pea trap and vent if needed.

This is the drain where the rubber hose from the washer is inserted into it so it drains down and into the basement drain.

We are using 3" drain pipe because we don't want problems if both washers are ejecting water at the same time - they'll be on the same drain.

Thank you!

- Jim
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 15, 2008, 05:14 AM
    We are installing the wall insert that has the hole for the water coming in and a hole to put the drain hose going out. I know it has to be about 42" off the floor, but do these drains also need to have pea traps and a vent pipe? If so, how far down do I need to put the pea trap? And then where do I need to put the vent?
    Every fixture that drains must have a trap and a vent that being said I made a rough drawing of how a washer station is set up, (see image)
    By wall insert I presume you mean washer box. The trap will set as low to the floor as it can go and a 36 to 42 inch standpipe will raise out of it for the washer box. As for the vents. If local codes allow you could vent your washers with AAV's (Air Admittance Vents, see image) otherwise code forbids you to discharge a major fixture past a minor one unless the minor one is vented separately. All that means is you can't discharge your washer into a stack that has a bathroom draining it unless you run a separate vent on the water. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Washer has high water output. You will definitely need 2" drain with 2" P-trap. It has to be vented. The above shown "remodeling" vent is fine. It should extend no less than hight of washer ( about 48"). Also, make sure the stand pipe ( that's the piece extending from P-trap up ) is at least 30" tall. Otherwise, water will oveflow.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
    High water output is nothing new to folks who have been buying Maytags. These new washer are driving the industry to look at the current code requiring a 2" drain. Its my understanding that the 2009 code revision will require 3" drain pipes for washers. If you can still do it I'd go 3" now.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2008, 05:39 AM
    As well as washers, the new codes will address kitchen sinks also. Because of the garbage a disposal puts into the system all kitchen branches will mandate a three inch drain. We have been doling that for years down here. Our code mandates one three inch vent stack per single family dwelling. We install that vent stack on the kitchen sink and take a three inch branch over to the main. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding new utility tub and washing machine drain [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have my washing machine running into the floor drain in my basement. I would like to add a utility tub, and a washing machine drain pipe. About 16' away there is a drain line from the kitchen sink and the dishwasher. This line is ABS, and has a 1 1/2" cleanout with threaded cap. ...

Adding washing machine drain to 2" kitchen drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2" drain that goes to 1 1/2" for the kitchen sink and connected dishwasher. I am tool proficient and have some plumbing experience. I want to add a washing machine drain breaking out from the 2" hub. The washing machine is 5' away on the same wall. The drain pipe need not be in...

Washing Machine Drain and Vent [ 1 Answers ]

Moving a washing machine to another room where a bathroom sink is on the wall behind where the washer is going. Wondering if I can tie into that existing drain and vent with out any issues? Or will I need to run new vent and drain line. The existing lines are 1.5 inch galv. Pipe. Thanks in advance...

Drain smell and identifing washing machine sink trap type [ 4 Answers ]

I have read lots of answers about dealing with the smell of drains from a washing machine, sink etc... My washing machine plumbing seems unusual with the drain away pipe going into a long white pipe that goes under the floorboards but also goes straight up for about 50cms to an end point that has...

Vent for Washing Machine Drain Attached to Existing Drain Line [ 0 Answers ]

"Current setup for a washing machine has the discharge hose "hooked" into a laundry tub. Tennants would like something more "permanent." The laundry tub has a normal trap followed by a horizontal run of about 2 feet (2" threaded pipe) then "T's" into a vertical drain/vent. The vent line goes...

View more questions Search