Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Cross Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Bandage Adhesive Removal
    What household products are good at removing the bandage adhesive from the skin and of course are safe to use.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2005, 01:57 PM
    Finger nail polish remover will make quick work of it, and is safe with reasonable use. Liquid cooking oil should work too, a little slower, but as safe as anything.
    senator Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2005, 05:26 AM
    :cool: If you use finger nail polish remover use the kind without additives, it is pure acetone.

Other products that work are bayby oil and bath oil.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2005, 08:42 AM
    Bandages
    Hi,
    My wife told me another good product to use is a fabric softener... such as the type one adds to the clothes washing machine!
    Just dab it on with a cloth.
    What about that!
    fredg
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Jan 9, 2006, 09:28 PM
    Baby oil as mentioned is the best method. Nail polish remover is acetone, again mention, which is an industrial degreaser, don't go there. I use DW-40, very fast and safe, just make sure to wash it off before touching anything.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 07:40 AM
    Acetone has many uses and is relatively safe. I can remember when I was younger having the plant nurse send me to refill her acetone bottle she kept for the purpose. The plant bought acetone in rail cars.

WD-40 is far more toxic.

Chemists lacking good cordination get to know the nurse.
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Jan 10, 2006, 11:32 AM
    Ignore the previous post
    I work with acetone. We lock it up when not in use. In moderate doses it can cause nose, throat,lung and eye irritation, light headedness, confusion, increased pulse rate, have an effect on the blood, nausea, vomiting, unconsciousness and possibly coma. Hey, what the hell, give it to the kids.
    This stuff is nasty not to mention highly flammable. It is not be used for removing glue residue from your skin. I can't believe you would say that to anyone, that is totally irresponsible.
    Furthermore I said that I use WD-40 to remove glue and adhesives. I did not advise anyone else to do so, I endorsed the baby oil only. Which is a common item around the house and totally safe. That is the proper substance to use, not a harsh chemical.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Strange how such nasty stuff is commonly sold to consumers as fingernail polish. Anything needs to be given respect and not thrown around like water. Acetone is highly inflammable. It is toxic, but requires larger doses than many other materials.
    Patrick57 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 05:51 AM
    I just got home from having thyroid surgery on my neck and was curious what recommendations people have on removing bandage adhesive from the skin.

I am a retired Safety Engineer and was surprised to read many people recommending chemicals to remove adhesive from a surgical area. In my profession, I had to read numerous MSDS sheets (material safety data sheets ) on numerous chemicals. I do not recommend anyone using any type of fingernail remover or WD 40 unless you want to possibly create a minor to major skin irritation problem. Both are easily absorbed into the skin and can create some nasty results (infections, reactions, rashes, etc).

Stay with all natural products like cooking oil or baby oil, these may take a little longer to work and slower but are the best choices to use.
    Patrick57 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick57
    I just got home from having thyroid surgery on my neck and was curious what recommendations people have on removing bandage adhesive from the skin.

I am a retired Safety Engineer and was surprised to read many people recommending chemicals to remove adhesive from a surgical area. In my profession, I had to read numerous MSDS sheets (material safety data sheets ) on numerous chemicals. I do not recommend anyone using any type of fingernail remover or WD 40 unless you want to possibly create a minor to major skin irritation problem. Both are easily absorbed into the skin and can create some nasty results (infections, reactions, rashes, etc).

Stay with all natural products like cooking oil or baby oil, these may take a little longer to work and slower but are the best choices to use.
    Patrick
    coachlaura Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 09:25 AM
    I, too, just got home from thyroid surgery Friday afternoon. I used baby oil to get rid of the adhesives and then suddenly got a rash all over my neck. Little bumps all over. What could have caused this? I took one benadryl (I not on any pain killers or medications) to see if it would go away but it did not. It's not itchy at all - just bumpy and red. Should I be concerned? Should I call the doctor? Any ideas why this would happen? I've never had a problem with baby oil before. The rash is only on my neck and not on my shoulders or elsewhere that I used the baby oil.
    klutzcharlie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 06:56 PM
    My fiancée has friction burns on 30% of her arms. Needless to say we go through a lot of bandages. We have found that using a q-tip soaked in essential oils (lavender) worked quite well to remove the adhesive quickly, also as she says 'smells pretty'.
    voicemommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 11:26 AM
    We have had great success using Vaseline. Just leave it on a minute or two, then wipe off. The petroleum seems to dissolve the adhesive. No irritation, no rubbing, no redness.
    CounselorDoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 12:08 AM
    Uni Solve Adhesive Remover - Can purchase this product at the pharmacy or amazon.com. Cost around $10.
    jj2also Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Uni-Solve adhesive remover is the best I've ever used. PDI adhesive remover is sencond best. Both are safe around wounds.
    zack7856 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 03:23 PM
    Get a warm paper towel and soak the bandage's adhesiveness
    psychaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2011, 07:26 PM
    Vitamin E oil works like a charm, just a drop on a Q-tip, and it's good for your skin. :)
    Thudpucker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2011, 02:38 PM
    There are lots of people who have some kind of badage in constant contact with their skin and have to remove the bandage adhesive when they change the dressing. Ostomy supply companies are a good source of adhesive remover that is skin friendly. Thud
    phddocalan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 08:40 AM
    The best is the organic bandaid and bandage remover invented by an eight year old girl. It really works and painlessly removes bandages. No crying, no tearing skin, no pulling out hair and it is made from all organic ingredients. This product has been featured on The Doctors and Rachael Ray. Www.bandage-remover.com
    tys54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 08:14 AM
    I just removed my waterproof throat bandage from neck surgery. Having the bandage on for 6 days there was quite a build up of adhesive on my skin and whiskers. After reading on this site about baby oil being a good, safe adhesive remover, I tried Huggies wipes treated with baby oil and aloe and they worked great. The adhesive wiped right off and the wipe held up and didn't tear at all. Worked great for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adhesive removal [ 2 Answers ]

I need to remove some old, but very thin yellow adhesive from a concrete floor. The adhesive was used to glue a carpet to the floor. I have been using diluted muriatic acid and a metal hand-brush ("elbow grease"), but it it really difficult to take it off. It the acid is too strong, it etches...

Old adhesive removal [ 2 Answers ]

I have removed the vinyl tiles in my basement to find this old black adhesive painted all over the floor.I was planning on painting the floor-Would I have to remove the adhesive before I could paint the floor ? If so what is the fastest and easiest way of doing so ?

Plumbing Adhesive Removal [ 3 Answers ]

[ Can You Suggest A Product That Will Remove Or At Least Soften Dried Adhesive Or Mastic Used To Secure Shower Door Frame To Ceramic Tile Wall. Your Comments Will Be Appreciated. Gandina

Adhesive removal for cove base [ 2 Answers ]

I'm removing my vinyl flooring in the bathroom, is there a product that removes the cove base adhesive ? Or do I just rip the base off and ruin the drywall behind it ? Thanks, Ward

View more questions Search