Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brend55 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 05:19 PM
    What to do about my Central A/C Freezing up.
    In 2006 I had a problem with my central Air and heat, the A/C started having lots of condendsation which ran into the floor and then the A/C quit. I got a repairman who replaced an electrical thing on it and it started right up, worked fine and the condensation had stopped. I used it until about 2 weeks ago when the condensation started again but the A/C was working fine otherwise. I was told that the drain hose was stopped up the reason the condensation was going into the floor. I removed the drain hose, flushed it out and put a lot of water through it to make sure it was clear. When I reconnected the hose all the coils started frosting and freezing up. Cool air came out of 2 vents but nothing out of the others. Turned it off to let it thaw out, turned it back on and same thing. Looked at the outside part and it was frozen inside it. (Compressor) It was not doing this before I cleaned the hose. I have it turned off right now to let it thaw real good but don't know what else to do or why this has happened. Any suggestions?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Maybe dirty filter,, bad circulation,, to many vents closed off,, low on freon,,

Jun 12, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop
    maybe dirty filter,,,bad circulation,,,to many vents closed off,,,,,,low on freon,,,,,

Filters were new, vents open and 2 nearest the unit are putting out cool air and so far keeping house cool but all the other vents have no air coming out. Called an A/C place and described the problem, first I learned that the panels have to be on the A/C unit or it will frost/freeze up. That problem is solved. Asked why all the vents weren't working, could be duct work loose, which mine aren't or something about water down in the unit and something causing the fan not to turn at full speed which I think is possibly my problem. Question now is what to do about the water and getting air through the other vents. Any comments on this? Thank you.

Jun 14, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brend55
    Filters were new, vents open and 2 nearest the unit are putting out cool air and so far keeping house cool but all the other vents have no air coming out. Called an A/C place and described the problem, first I learned that the panels have to be on the A/C unit or it will frost/freeze up. That problem is solved. Asked why all the vents weren't working, could be duct work loose, which mine aren't or something about water down in the unit and something causing the fan not to turn at full speed which I think is possibly my problem. Question now is what to do about the water and getting air through the other vents. Any comments on this? Thank you.

Still having problems not getting air through all the vents except the two, was hoping someone might have an idea what happened and what to do to get air through the other vents. Vents are open, duct work up, filters new and it happened after the condensation problem was taken care of by clearing the drain hose and then it quit putting out the air. If it is a water problem where is the water and can I get it out? Any suggestions? Thank you.
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
    If evaporater coil is froze up air can`t get through to blow out your vents,, if you are sure the coil is clean,, the dirt usually collects inside the coil,, you have to remove inspection plate to inspect,, might as well clean it anyway while you are in there,, if still freezing up you are probably low on freon,, and that (unless you are epa certified) you can`t do yourself,, call out the pro`s

Jun 14, 2008, 05:17 PM
    if evaporater coil is froze up air can`t get thru to blow out your vents,,,,if you are sure the coil is clean,,,the dirt usually collects inside the coil,,,,you have to remove inspection plate to inspect,,,,,might as well clean it anyway while you are in there,,,,if still freezing up you are probably low on freon,,,,and that (unless you are epa certified) you can`t do your self,,,,,,call out the pro`s

Ok, tell me where to find the evaporater coil, I see nothing freezing up now that I put the front panel on. It seems to be working and putting out to cool a 7 room house. I found another vent putting out air in the middle of the house on the same side as the other two. Where do I find the inspection plate? I am a widow and having to check this out by myself and appreciate all the help I can get. As of now there is nothing freezing up that I can see but one piece of the duct work is laying in water that came from the condensation problem I had, could that cause a problem? It is just good and moist, nothing deep, on a footer under the house. By the way this is a doublewide, I checked all the duct work and it is up.
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 06:45 PM
    OK,, lets back up,, if its not freezing up anymore,, lets not worry about cleaning the coil right now., back under the house,, did you check the duct work with the unit running? A lot of double wides have a plastic like liner covering the insulation under the flooring and maybe hiding a lot of the duct work,, if this is your case it would be hard to see or feel the air going to the wrong places
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Tell me are all the vents that are not blowing, all on one half of the trailer where it was connected the 2 halves together? You know split it down the middle from one end to the other,, is hard to explain,,
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 09:16 PM
    The door has to be in place for it to work right if its not a gas furnace. On a down flow mobile home electric unit the blower sets below the A coil so the unit door has to be in place while running the A/C system or it will freeze up every time.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Right on about the door being off,, I didn`t see where she said the door was left off,, and she said it wasn`t freezing up anymore,, she just not getting air blowing from the vents,, all but 2,, I`m thinking the crossover duct from one side of double wide is not attached to the other 1/2 of doublewide,,

Jun 17, 2008, 12:02 PM
    right on about the door being off,,,,,,,I didn`t see where she said the door was left off,,,and she said it wasn`t freezing up anymore,,,,,,,,,she just not getting air blowing from the vents,,,,,all but 2,,,,,,I`m thinking the crossover duct from one side of double wide is not attached to the other 1/2 of doublewide,,,,,,,
    I have been trying to send message but doesn't look like it is getting through. There is no freezing up any where that I can see, the panel was off when it froze up but after putting it on it quit and that part is OK now.

Jun 17, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brend55
    I have been trying to send message but doesn't look like it is getting through. There is no freezing up any where that I can see, the panel was off when it froze up but after putting it on it quit and that part is ok now.

The A/C is cooling the house but more so on the one side. The underside of the dbl wide is covered in heavy black plastic over the insulation. I can only see 2 parts of the ductwork, the ones coming right from the unit one going "left" and one "right". It is up there but may be loose or have a torn place that I have not seen. Under the house it is cool and a friend just told me that it shouldn't be that cool, I must have a hole or loose duct work somewhere. The insulation near the unit itself is wet from the overflow of the condensation. It was also mentioned that the inside of the duct could have collasped but I can't tell this because it is covered in like black plastic and it is the springy type but I don't know if the insulation is inside or outside. I believe it may be outside. On the side that the vents aren't working I can see the black plastic around the duct work moving when the unit is on. Good or bad? Haven't watched the other. This side is bowed down and laying on the ground and then up to the floor again. Does that matter? I have a hole in the drain hose under the house and have to repair that and will check on the duct work closer. I have found that the vents on one side is blowing air and the other side not. Any suggestions or comments? Thank you.

Jun 18, 2008, 06:02 PM
    [QUOTE=brend55]The A/C is cooling the house but more so on the one side. The underside of the dbl wide is covered in heavy black plastic over the insulation. I can only see 2 parts of the ductwork, the ones coming right from the unit one going "left" and one "right". It is up there but may be loose or have a torn place that I have not seen. Under the house it is cool and a friend just told me that it shouldn't be that cool, I must have a hole or loose duct work somewhere. The insulation near the unit itself is wet from the overflow of the condensation. It was also mentioned that the inside of the duct could have collasped but I can't tell this because it is covered in like black plastic and it is the springy type but I don't know if the insulation is inside or outside. I believe it may be outside. On the side that the vents aren't working I can see the black plastic around the duct work moving when the unit is on. Good or bad? Haven't watched the other. This side is bowed down and laying on the ground and then up to the floor again. Does that matter? I have a hole in the drain hose under the house and have to repair that and will check on the duct work closer. I have found that the vents on one side is blowing air and the other side not. Any suggestions or comments? Thank you.[/QUOT Found lot of water in duct work not letting air through, emptied it and now air coming from all vents.
    saphire196 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 02:44 AM
    Our unit kept draining this condensation water down into the duct work's trunk line. That is the big round tube covered with black plastic wrap that connects one side of the doublewide's duct work to the other. Second year this has happened. My husband climbed under the house and cut a whole in it to drain out the water but never climbed back under there to tape it all back up which led to other problems (one of which is a lot of rooms not getting any cool air). Have had two ac pros out and still having problems. One charged $499 and the other $575. The second did get it cooling but then it was leaking water into the house so bad it was a disaster (ruined the walls and carpet in the hall near the unit). Now it is not leaking into the house but freezing up badly again. Husband suspects water is in the trunk line again. Going to try to drain it myself and tape it back up when dry. Wish me luck, because I need it. I am so frustrated.
    saphire196 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 02:49 AM

We have had the same problems with our double wide! I have had two ac pros out. One charged me $499 and the second one charged me $575. The condensation finally stopped or is leaking down into the trunk line again like it did last year. But now the unit is frequently freezing up and half the vents are not putting out any air! I am so frustrated. Last year my husband cut a whole in the trunk line and drained all the water that was in it. This year we have put on new trunk line, had new compressors put on, coils cleaned and flushed, drain line replaced, drip tray inspected, and I don't even know what else. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Wishing now I had given the thing up for dead and just bought a couple of window units.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central air is freezing up [ 2 Answers ]

My air conditioning keeps freezing up. There is ice all over it . It doesn't cool the house when it does this , and I have to shut it down to defrost it. It is central heat and air. I live in fla and it is very hot here.

Central air freezing [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Central air unit. It keeps freezing up from the unit to the hose that comes into the house.

Central Air Freezing up [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Payne central air unit. One of the lines are freezing up evry time I turn it on. I was told the freon is fine. Any suggestions?

Central air freezing [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, We are having a problem with the a/c pipe freezing when the air is on. It starts from the cental air unit all the way to the furnace. We had a repairman look at it and he said there was a slow leak, but nothing to worry about. Can anyone help?

Central unit freezing up [ 3 Answers ]

Our central unit out side frost over when the temp outside get below 35 degrees we have tried to just turn on the fan but you have to have the heat on for the fan to work can you tell what's going on

View more questions Search