Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suebill4me Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Replace free standing shower
    How much trouble am I looking at to replace a free standing shower. Is it hard to replace the "pan" or bottom and should I rip out the wall and start from scratch, there is tile on the three walls now but it is about 25 years old and I think the walls have a little water damage also.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jun 13, 2008, 12:08 PM
    I'd rip it out completely down to the studs and put in a pre-fab shower pan, cement board (hardibacker) on the walls, then tile. I did this and it was actually pretty easy especially if you can get a pan that has the drain in the same spot as your existing drain.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 12:53 PM
    If you can reuse the drain amriccas approach is perfect. You are looking at about $250 for the pan, $50 in Hardibacker and screws, $150 in tile and another $100 in grout and thinset. Door costs can be anywhere from $75 to $750, that's up to your tasts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Framing a free standing shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am thinking of installing 32''x 32'' free standing maax econo shower. Can anyone please help how to construct a frame to secure the shower in place. I am a total rookie when it comes to construction but would like to do this myself. The plumbing is already in place. Any help would be...

Free standing structures [ 2 Answers ]

What would be the best way to secure posts on a two post free standing shade structure? We want to be able to remove and replace posts in case of rot etc. The structure will be 10ft tall, 8ft long, 2ft wide with a roof covered by cloth material. It will be in a high wind area at times.

Free-standing noise cancellation? [ 5 Answers ]

A friend without a computer is wondering Whether there's a noise cancellation system That can stand by itself in the middle of an Apartment near a freeway. She really can't Picture herself wearing headphones all the time She's at home. Anyone know of a free-standing Device that...

View more questions Search