Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mova12 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 05:13 AM
    How does my male friend feel about me?
    Hi all,
    I have been dating the same guy for the last five years. This past fall I started a new job, and I hit it off with one of the male staff.
    We became friends quickly - same sense of humor; we could talk for hours about everything and nothing; and we spent time together outside of work. We got close, and although I didn't have any romantic feelings for him, I don't know if he felt the same.
    We spent a LOT of time together - if we weren't hanging out on the weekend, we were messaging back and forth on the internet, or we were phoning each other. We were even sharing rides to work. I'm an affectionate person (with all my friends) and he was hesitant at first but then he wanted hugs after awhile. Several people commented on our relationship - that we should be together.
    He was always aware of my long term, committed relationship. He never tried to make a move on me, ever. And of course, I was never aware what I was doing.
    Fast forward to the winter, and a couple of my co-workers and I were out (him included) and I guess we were being too silly and giving him too much of a hard time... because he wouldn't speak to any of us for about a month. He never (and still hasn't) said anything to me about why he wouldn't speak to us... or if he was forced to, it would be abrupt and rude.
    It really hurt me, because we had gotten so close and becme really good friends, and then all of a sudden he wouldn't talk to me.. To this day things are not the same with us.
    I have no idea what's going on. I've lost some sleep over this (but I'm an anxious person anyway!)
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Are you still with your boyfriend?

I think you and him get too friendly and close with one another. He works with you and now it a little strange at work this is what happens sometimes. It seems you have feelings for his then you want to admit, he the same. Sorry your no longer speak but sometimes this is what's happen so focus of your boyfriend instead of him, does he knows about this anyway?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
    It is a hard road when you allow a private fantasy to overpower your real life and real relationships. Anything you think personally regarding this coworker falls into that fantasy category.

Unless or until you end your actual long-term relationship ("committed" you called it, is it really committed?), you're supposed to push these fantasy obsessions into the background and chuckle at them, not troll through your social events looking to see if "something" is there.

Let this go as an issue, don't strain your coworking relationship unnecessarily.
    mova12 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Thanks so much. I realize that I may have had feelings for him in the past, but that's done now. I'm just concerned about him as a friend and that is all. I guess I just needed someone to affirm what I had been wondering for awhile.
    My focus is on my current relationship and that is it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 06:36 AM
    I read your other post, and the absence of your b/f may have you putting too much attention on friends, and colleagues. I think you have built too much dependence on a co worker, and need to back off, and leave him alone, as he in no way, shares your feelings. Chalk it up, as we all must deal with the comings and goings of people in our lives. Dwelling on his actions, motivations and feelings, is a distraction you don't need, and will lead you on a negative path. Just accept the fact he has changed, and go on about your business, without him.
    daveswoman4life Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jul 8, 2009, 01:39 PM
    I think that you fell for for your co worker and didn't mean to. Its possible that being in a 5 year relationship with your current boyfriend that things could have gotten boring for you and so you decided to see what else is out there. Maybe not intentionally. It happens believe me I've been there. And maybe your new friend was hoping for more but at the same time didn't want to push you away and lose you all together by upsetting you because he knew that you was with someone. Now I'm thinking it may be hurting him to be around you because he knows he can't have you. Because you don't know for sure just how much he fell for you. So now it could be possible that it is just easiler for him to not be around you then to be around you and know he can't have you. My advise is either stay with your current boyfriend and focus all your attention on him or leave him and take a risk with this guy. But don't lead this guy on and never give him a chance and don't do that to your current boyfriend because that will just make him start feeling insecure. GOOD LUCK:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Husband prefers company of male friend [ 43 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks for reading my post. I came here out of desperation. Long story short: My husband prefers the company of his male friend over mine in a BIG way. It's my own fault; I'm a realtor and I sold him and his wife a home in our neighborhood 2 years ago. Since then, our marriage has...

My wife has been meeting a male friend without me knowing [ 4 Answers ]

My wife has been meeting a male friend on sundays without me know. I fellow her and confronted the two and both answered with "we are just friends". I think it is cheating but she say it not because they are just friends. What do you think?

Do you allow your woman to have male friend who gives gifts to her [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been together off and on for two years the break ups have been my fault she is a great and wonderful woman. We broke up a month ago and I left while I was gone she took the kids to a fair and talk to a vender who she knew in passing because he purchases product from her...

Wife's male friend [ 14 Answers ]

Benn married 18 years, found out a few months ago my wife has a male friend she worked with for 6 years, he transferred out of state 2 years ago, but while she is at work they always e-mail and call each other. I would not usaly have a problem with this, but I never knew anything about this guy up...

Male friend [ 23 Answers ]

My wife who I love very much has male friends. That doesn't bother me. She texts' them and emails them, talks on the phone etc. She has been known to even go for lunch or dinner with them. Recently she told me she want to go to the amusement park with him and my two kids. I told he that it...

View more questions Search