Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Best nails for molding installation?
    Hello. I have a lot of molding to install throughout my home. Baseboards, door trim, crown molding, and quarter round. I have an air compressor and am going to get a nailer to put up all the molding. I'd like to get just one nail gun. Will a 16 gauge finisher do the job for all the moldings? The baseboard is pretty thick and I have to use the larger 11/16 quarter round due to gaps on the floor.

My concern is the finishing nailer might split the quarter round. But it is on the thicker side, and I think brads would be too light for the baseboard.

Any suggestions on the nail gun to get?

Thank you.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jun 11, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Go for the 16ga finish nailer I use one for trim all the time. I use 2in nails for quarter round and base, 2 1/2 for crown. I have used both the angled and the straight models I like the angled model best but either will work just fine. The nails won't split the trim just don't be tempted to use the gun to push the trim into place while nailing and don't nail to close to any edge (more of a problem with crown that has thin edges than anything else). If I missed anything post back and let me know. GOOD LUCK, AC
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Comment on ac101's post
    Exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. You sold me on the 16ga. Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 07:57 PM
    I agree with AC and use my 16g nailer a lot. I also have some pin nailers for really fine material but your quarter round is pretty stout. Your bigger question is will you use this gun enough to go with areally nice $275 nailer or should you buy a cheapy for about $100. Menards and Home Depot have a lot to pick from, a lower quality and price but still acceptable would be Campbell Hausfeld.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jun 11, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Ballenger gave you a good recommend on the campbell hausfield if your not using it daily I actually have one ,pretty good little gun but for daily use I use a paslode or my stanley bostitch I love them both but a lot more expensive than the campbell. GOOD LUCK, AC
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 16, 2008, 09:02 PM
    You'll need a finish nailer for base and crown and the outer edge of casing. A brad gun for the inner edge of casing. Look to spend 80 to 100 for a brad gun and 150 or more for the finish nailer, as far as nails go. I like 2 1/2 for base crown outter edge of casing and 1 1/4 for inner edge of casing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown molding [ 16 Answers ]

I need help installing crown molding. Is it necessary to use adhesive as well as nails?

Molding and Trim? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased white quarter round molding (the plastic mold proof composite) from Home Depot, and need to install it in my kitchen around the base board trim. What's the best application for this install? I was not sure if I should liquid nail it to the painted wood baseboard, or nail it and then...

Crown Molding - Purchase & Installation [ 4 Answers ]

Can crown molding be purchased or do I have to cut it myself? Also, how hard is it to install? Our ceilings are cracking noticeably at the joints - our home is only 2 years old. :mad: Thank you!

Tough molding cut [ 2 Answers ]

Maybe this is possible? Trying to run molding horizontal along the top of tile above a shower surround and match it with a piece running vertical along each side of the shower. These are 90 degrees from each other on each plane - any trim carpenters out there that can help me with these cuts? Don't...

View more questions Search