Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debra_s62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Deposit to hold an apartment
    We live in Vermont a landlord agreed to rent to us we gave him a deposit to hold the house Now 4 days later he call and told me he got a lot of responses to his add and he now is going to rent to a family friend.Can he do that after he told us we had the rental and put down a hold deposit.thank you for you help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 11, 2008, 06:15 AM
    The answer is no. Unless the hold expired, he committed the apartment to you. Bottomline though, do you really want to force him to rent to you? As long as he returns the deposit, I would be happy. If you incur any loses due to his rescinding the commitment, you could sue him for those.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Hello debra:

You gave him money. He gave you something. What does it say? I'll bet it says enough for you to be able to force him to rent to you...

However, as Scott says, it's going to be an adversarial relationship from the get go, and I'm not sure you want to have that.

On the other hand, if the price was cheap, and/or rentals are very hard to find, and/or your wife fell in love with the place, and/or you don't mind having an adversarial relationship with your landlord, then I'd force the issue.

You could do that by writing him a letter indicating that you are going to hold him to his promise, and sue him if he doesn't adhere. HAND deliver a copy to him, and mail another copy certified, return receipt requested.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting back apartment deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I filled out an application form and handed over the first month's rent, plus application fees and money for credit check (total of $1270 in cash) to hold an apartment in NJ. Something urgent has now come up and I am unable to rent the place anymore. It's been less than 24 hours, do I have the...

When should I pay my deposit on my apartment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently decided to get an apartment and the leasing manager has walked me through all of the steps to do so. I paid my deposit, application fee and administration fee up front like he asked me to and then wa told where to go to switch the utilities into my name and was sent to do it. I was...

Do I have to pay a pet deposit when the apartment is already damaged? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in California. I just moved into an apartment where others have been living in for about three years, basically one of the roomates needs to move out and I'm taking his place. The carpet is not just bad it's horrible! It's even got burned spots from previous tenants, theirs been so many...

Apartment Security Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In CA, If you pay $600 Apartment security deposit on 18 Feb for a 23 Mar move in and had to cancel on 4 March is the landlord entitled to keep the $600? To note: 1) on the 4th, I requested to change my move in to 7, 8, or 9 March due to a travel requirement overseas 2) It was found that the...

Deposit to hold an apartment [ 2 Answers ]

In CA, if a person gives a $650 deposit to hold an apartment in the beginning December with the intention of moving in on the first of Januaryand then decides that he doesn't want to move in after all and notifies the landlord on Dec 20th, is he entitled to any of the deposit? The landlord was not...

View more questions Search