Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jd1526 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Springs under a Craftsman LT 1000 rider
    Hi,
    I was mowing the other day and my mower ran out of gas. Well I put more gas in and started to mow again and it started but every time I let off the clutch it starts to die. I got looking underneath and I see a long spring that's connected on one end but not the other. Could that be the problem right there? If it is do you or know of any site that has pics of where the other end goes?

Thanks!:)

James
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Are you doing this with the blade enaged, if so is the balde turning at normal cutting speed. The LT 1000 has several springs and they are pretty much all related to tensioners for the belts. The springs keep the idler pulleys tight againist the belt, if a spring came loose I'd expect slippage rather than an engine drying. You can get a replacement manual from Sears if you lost your. Can't download any more but for about $6 they will mail it to you. Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears Parts Direct | SearsPartsDirect.com from Sears
    flatcat47 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Yes, there is a manual online, and I downloaded it about a week ago, so...

Go to sears parts direct or whatever it is called, and work your way to the parts (and manual) for your mower. You have to sign up as a member to access the manual. No big deal, just annoying.

Yeah, I think there is a clutch spring. If you don't see it well enough in the parts picture, try the section in the manual for removing and replacing the mower deck and see if it isn't one of those steps.

Jun 10, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Since the spring is still attached at one end you should be able to pick it up in your hand and move the open end around to see where it once was anchored. It won't be far because those springs only stretch about an inch or two.

Jun 10, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Look, IF we are talking about the clutch spring (and I'm a neophyte here, myself), it's a long spring that stretches across the mower deck back-to-front.

Here are some pieces of the manual, might tell you what you need to know.
    Attached Images

Jun 10, 2008, 12:32 PM
    There is no clutch spring on a Sears mower deck. Did you mean something else? The clutch spring is attached to the tractor frame well above the deck.

Jun 12, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Waddevah! Clutch spring is indicated in the diagram above. Diagrams from manual for Craftsman lt1000, downloaded from Sears site. Only James can tell us if this is the spring he was describing, whatever it is called. I wish he'd ring in, I'm curious.

BTW, I've stopped getting e-mail notices on this thread. Suppose he's suffering the same problem?

Jun 12, 2008, 04:17 PM
    The whole AMHD stopped sending instant e-mails, they are trying to fix it. I see the label clutch spring and I am surprised. This has been called a spring loaded tensioner pulley for about 50 years. Some guy at Sears got inventive just to screw with us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman LT 1000 42 inch deck [ 16 Answers ]

I replaced the drive belt and a pulley that were broken. Now it will not move. It is an automatic. What actually makes the tractor move. The belt turns but doesn't go anywhere. Thanks

Craftsman ltx 1000 lawn tractor won't run [ 2 Answers ]

HI, My craftsman LTX1000 lawn tractor with a B&S 21.5 HP engine will not stay running. I have changed the fuel pump fuel lines and fuel filter and get the same result. It will start and it acts like it is running out of gas. If I pull the choke it will run a little longer then die. I have...

Craftsman T L 1000 RIDER [ 1 Answers ]

When I Start The Rider Up It Starts Fine. When I Release The Clucth, In Gear Our In Neutral, It Dies Out. If I Have It Running W/ The Clutch In And Engage The Blades, It Dies Out. Any Ideas?

LT 1000 Craftsman rear axle slipping out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman LT 1000 16.5hp the right rear axle keeps slipping out of the housing and then it will disengage and quit moving. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to fixing this or maybe even how to get a service manual I do not know how old it is I got it second...

View more questions Search