Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KellyU Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 04:39 PM
    J pipe leaking
    Hello. I just put on a new J pipe on my bathroom sink and it is leaking! How do I get it to stop from leaking from the bottom where it tightens? Email me at [email protected]. HELP! I can't afford a plumber!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Is it leaking around the sink tail pipe or at the connection to the ell? If it is leaking around the sink tail pipe, did you use the proper seal that came with the J bend? Most J bends come with two seals. One for 1 1/2" kitchen sinks and one for 1 1/4 bath sink drains.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 05:28 PM
    What material are you talking about? Plastic/Metal and Which area is leaking, tailpipe/j and

Jun 5, 2008, 06:05 PM
    [QUOTE=KellyU]the seal at the top is fine, it's the seal after the J bend. Its metal. The metal screw thing (the old one) doesn't come off, and it has a black washer. The new pipe came with a white washer that in angled. I don't know if I should use the white wahser (seal! ) And if so which way small side up or down?
    Do I just use the old metal screw thing with the old washer and the white thing? It seems like it won't tighten with both, but with just one (either the ehite or the old. Lack) its to loose and leaks a lot

Jun 5, 2008, 06:13 PM
    I hope I am doing this right. So the top of the J pipe we put the new white washer and the metal screw. That's fine. After the J the metal screw won't come off so we have that with a black washer. In the kit came another metal twist thing (we can't use because the old one doesn't come off.but do I use the black washer (from the old one) and the new white washer? The whie one is angled. Do I put it small side down or smaill side facing down? Do I use both the black and the white washer. If I try to use just the black or just the white it leaks a lot and isn't very sturdy. If I try to use both I can't get it to screw together...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Examine both the old "J" bend and the new one. Sounds like the new one is not compatible with the existing arm. The black gasket (or grey) slips up onto the lip on the end of the arm. The J bend should have flat surface on it's end to compress the gasket. Tightening the nut compresses the gasket between the flat surface above the gasket and the flat surface on the J bend. That's one type of fitting. The other type has no lip on the arm and the J bend has a bevel edge on it's inside. The beveled nylon seal is compress inward around the pipe by tightening the nut. You must get the type of J bend to fit the arm or you must change the arm to fit the J bend.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 6, 2008, 04:14 AM
    I think Harold nailed it. You wouldn't be trying to mate a PVC "J" bend with a metal trap tail would you. Unless the "J" bend has a female bevel you would use the black washer. Nice drawing Harold! Regards, Tom

Jun 6, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Aaaahhh. I have the first drawing (nice one!) and I keep putting the washer on the capturing nut not before the retaining surface. I will try when I get home from work... Thanks a lot. I will post when it is done and not leaking.. I hope! Thanks again guys!!

Jun 6, 2008, 05:16 AM
    No I have a metal j pipe and a what I think is metal other pipes. I brought my old one to Ace Hardware and the guy there got me the one that he said I needed.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 6, 2008, 05:30 AM
    If the new "J" bend has a bevel edge then use the white beveled washer. If the surface is flat then use the black one. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking pipe, again [ 9 Answers ]

My mains water is supplied via a lead pipe, which has now decided to spring a leak. How can I fix this? Help please, as it is driving me nuts.

Leaking waterfall pipe [ 1 Answers ]

A PVC pipe feeds my waterfall, which is part of the circuit of a pool filtration system. I noticed my pool losing water. When I bypass the waterfall, it doesn't lose water. I considered using masonry sealant to fix the entire top bowl of the waterfall. When off, the water level drops to right...

Leaking shower pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to replace a shower head and now the pipes are leaking the pipe that is leaking is behind a wall how can I stop it without cutting a hole in the wall.

Leaking outlet pipe! [ 3 Answers ]

I have a combi boiler and I put it on for an hour the other day after it being on hot water only during the summer months,I now have what looks like an overflow pipe dripping a lot of water the only thing is I don't have a tank can anyone help or do I just call a plumber?? Thanks:(

Pipe leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am new here so please bear with me. My question is what pipe could be leaking in my upstairs master bathroom? My shower is in a u shape, my shower head is on the open end by the sliding doors and the wall is fiberglass stuff and the flat wall is tile and the bottom foot of it caved in and is...

View more questions Search