Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    triptrop Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2005, 09:52 AM
    How to remove the stopper??
    I have a tub that has enough of my wife's hair in the drain that it doesn't drain fast enough during a shower, and it doesn't hold water during my kids bath.

My primary question is, how the heck do I remove the drain stopper on this style tub? It seems to have become a more common stopper because in the last 2 homes I've owned (1998 & 2001), they both have this style drain stopper. You drop the stopper by spinning it about a half turn and it falls into the drain.

Unfortunately, with my wife's hair in the drain, it can't quite drop down all the way, hence water leaking out during a bath. And of course with the drain being partially clogged, it doesn't drain water fast enough to keep up with a shower. The worst of both worlds!!

SO, can I remove the drain stopper? It would make it much easer to use a plunger on it, which has always worked beautifully for me. If not, can somebody suggest a way to clear my clogged drain?

Thanks
    Trip
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2005, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by triptrop
    I have a tub that has enough of my wife's hair in the drain that it doesn't drain fast enough during a shower, and it doesn't hold water during my kids bath.

My primary question is, how the heck do I remove the drain stopper on this style tub? It seems to have become a more common stopper because in the last 2 homes I've owned (1998 & 2001), they both have this style drain stopper. You drop the stopper by spinning it about a half turn and it falls into the drain.

Unfortunately, with my wife's hair in the drain, it can't quite drop down all the way, hence water leaking out during a bath. And of course with the drain being partially clogged, it doesn't drain water fast enough to keep up with a shower. The worst of both worlds!!!!

SO, can I remove the drain stopper? It would make it much easer to use a plunger on it, which has always worked beautifully for me. If not, can somebody suggest a way to clear my clogged drain?

Thanks
    trip
    The little knob on top is threaded. Just unscrew it and then pull up.
    Don't forget to seal off the overflow when you plunge or you won't get suction. Also if you're going to snake the line you can't go in from the drain. You must snake from the over flow. Good luck, Tom
    triptrop Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2005, 05:12 PM
    Maybe you're thinking of a different drain than what I have. I tried unscrewing it with my hands, nothing doing. Then I tried with 2 wrenches, and all I created was a bunch of little metal shavings. I'm not happy with the engineer who came up with this.

Maybe I'm SOL
    Trip
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2005, 07:33 PM
    Maybe try going to a home center and finding one like it, and studying it to figure it out. You could post back with a brand name which might help Tom.
    plumberman Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Can u post a pic of the stopper so we can get a better idea of what you have?
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by plumberman
    can u post a pic of the stopper so we can get a better idea of what you have?
    Would they be any of these?
    One4Rob Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 06:32 PM
    I have a stopper like the 3rd one pn the right. How do I remove this drain stopper?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 26, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Hey onerob:

That one simply spins out counterclockwise... let me know how it goes!

Mark

May 28, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Turning it counterclockwise didn't remove the stopper completely.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 28, 2008, 08:32 PM
    It should have... I use this model all the time and it just spins out... :(

Let me see what else I can find out. Any chance you can post a picture of your drain..
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2008, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by One4Rob
    What was left?

May 29, 2008, 11:21 AM
    OK. I left the instructions up to my tenant... Once I was able to try it myself it work. Thanks so much!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 29, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Glad to know I'm not going crazy... ;)

Thanks for the update!
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by One4Rob
    If you are left with a threaded piece with cross bars, they make a tub drain removal tool,(see image). Simply line the cross bars up with the tool and put a wrench on it and back it out counterclockwise. Good luck, Tom
    EvettefromTX Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Sorry to chime in with nothing useful but I searched for "problems with removing drain stopper" and you thread came up. I have the drain type number 2 (in the middle) and I can't seem to get the stopper to come out either. When I unscrew the little knob on the top it comes out all by itself while the flat round piece stays lodged in to tube. I have 10 people sleeping and showing at my house on Saturday so any speedy advise would be sooooo very appreciated.
    Thanks
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 10:50 PM
    It looks like you need to use a pair of fliers, or use the tub drain removal tools speedball1
    Recomands, make sure you turn it counter clock wise othe wise you brake the drian, good luck
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 6, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Hi Guys:

Hey EvettefromTX..

That type of twist and lift drain has a small screw under the pull up stopper (see picture).

You have to get into the tub and actually lay down a bit to see it... but should be able to see it from an angle. Then use a small thin flat or phillips head screwdriver to loosen the screw (counterclockwise). DON'T remove the screw entirely... just loosen it.

Then give a good YANK up on the stopper and should come out for you. Then can clean as needed, etc.

To reinstall, just find the flat part of the stem sticking up (see pic.) and align to screw and set that screw back in place... should be all set.

If looking to remove the entire asssembly... start as above, but then follow AFAROO'S suggestion and use a removal tool like in post #14 or may be able to use two screwdrivers criss-crossed against each other to remove the whole unit.

Let us know if you need more info... MARK

Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 09:16 AM

Hello Tom,

It is almost five years old post, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    J70460 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 11:02 AM
    Thanks! I just broke my stopper with my handy dandy PowerGrip. SOME twist-&-drop stoppers have a freekin SET SCREW holding them in place. Now I get to try to replace it as a plumbing supply. I'll let you know how much it cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Do You Remove Sealant From A Tub... [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a house and decided to remove the sliding glass shower doors from the tub frame (non-ceramic, plasticky type). After we removed the hardware and tracks we noticed long lines of clear sealant that will not pull off. I am afraid of using a widget or any type of razor...

Add/Remove Programs doesn't have REMOVE option [ 4 Answers ]

In Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP Home, some of the programs do not have the REMOVE button below them. WHY not? How do I remove programs from the Add or Remove Function, when it displays the program, but when I highlight it, it doesn't give the option to REMOVE it?

Help me remove this thing [ 1 Answers ]

Hie everyone, Someone has installed a pool game from Yahoo games on my PC. When I went to the control panel in add/remove to get rid of it, it didn't show up as one of the programs. Please help, how do I remove this?

Lavatory pop up stopper [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new large Kohler sink installed in the bathroom. The pop up stopper can be twisted and pulled out. I've got the pivot rod piercing the eyelet of the stopper and I've tightened the retaining nut, but with minimal twist, the stopper just comes out of the drain. I would think that the pivot...

How do I remove 180solutions? [ 1 Answers ]

Tried to remove this once and it destroyed my internet connection by doing a search and deleting everything I could find but found out that is not the way to get rid of it. Would need to know step-by-step how to get it off my computer and leave my connection intact. Is there a program I can use to...

View more questions Search