Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself. I don't care if you give it up to everyone that you see.Thats between you and them. I also don't care if you drink until you fall over.

If you have enough money to go out clubbing you have enough money for a taxi... try paying a retainer fee for a lawyer because you are up on charges of manslaughter, I bet that is more expensive than a taxi or more inconvient than getting a ride. Go back to my first post and write Larry Mahoney a letter and see how good his life has been since he killed that bus load of people. I wonder if he cares(or thinks jeezes its not fair )about how many people before him or after him got tispy and drove anyway. Think girl, Think

Carrollton bus collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 4, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerchildnea
    Well then everyone I know, and everyone they know should be hearing this.

Because we all do the same thing, and we are all around the same age.

And we all drink before we go to the club.

Point I'm making is, I'm not the only one doing it.

Doesn't mean it's not a problem, just means that it's not to uncommon... it's just that no one else talks about it.

My dad was, and probably still is an alcoholic. I'm 23 years old, and know I don't want to be like him, or like that.

But that doesn't mean that I'm going to stay away from alcohol altogether. Drinking for me isn't a necessity, it's a social thing, and I drink socially.

If drinking and driving is the only problem, then I'll carpool with someone who isn't going to drink.

But that's unrealistic unless someones mom drives us, and picks us up.

That kind of stuff doesn't happen, and not very many people WANT to be the designated driver.

Anyways, this is pointless... I'm glad this turned into me being some careless, drunken hussie.

That's exactly what I wanted.

Thanx.
    If everyone jumped off a bridge would you do it too? The everyone does argument never works.

The problem is that it isn't uncommon. Too many young people feel this type of thing will never happen to them. Yet the papers are full of it happening.

As for drinking socially, from what you have told us, that's not the case. Getting your buzz on in a car or someone's house before you go to a club is not drinking socially.

Each time you go out, someone should be the Designated Driver. You can each take turns, but it should be someone.
    flowerchildnea Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself. I don't care if you give it up to everyone that you see.Thats between you and them. I also don't care if you drink until you fall over.

If you have enough money to go out clubbing you have enough money for a taxi...try paying a retainer fee for a lawyer because you are up on charges of manslaughter, I bet that is more expensive than a taxi or more inconvient than getting a ride. Go back to my first post and write Larry Mahoney a letter and see how good his life has been since he killed that bus load of people. I wonder if he cares(or thinks jeezes its not fair )about how many people before him or after him got tispy and drove anyway. Think girl, Think

Carrollton bus collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Now that was completely uncalled for.

You have no right to say the things you said, or to say them the way you said them.

I don't pay to get in the club, it's free if you're on the guest list, and I get on the guest list every time I go.

Money isn't an issue, and if I needed to take a taxi I would. But I'm not going to take a taxi when I live 5 miles away from the club... I'm better off walking.

My father hasn't been in my life for 9 years, and my boyfriend... the only one I've ever had moved to the philippines for business just 6 months ago after a 5 year relationship.

So FAWK men like you who think you can play the daddy, or the boyfriend role... I don't need you, and I don't need the men who left me.

I never said I was invincible, and that getting in an accident while being intoxicated would never happen to me. I think about that every time I go out, sober, or not.

So do me a favor and stop telling me things I already know... and better yet, stop being an A-hole about it.

Get over yourself.

Jun 4, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If everyone jumped off a bridge would you do it too? The everyone does argument never works.

The problem is that it isn't uncommon. Too many young people feel this type of thing will never happen to them. Yet the papers are full of it happening.

As for drinking socially, from what you have told us, that's not the case. Getting your buzz on in a car or someone's house before you go to a club is not drinking socially.

Each time you go out, someone should be the Designated Driver. You can each take turns, but it should be someone.
    Did I or did I NOT make sure to say that I'm not using that as an excuse, or even as part of my defense?

My point was that I'm not the only one doing it, so it's not that uncommon. Doesn't make it right, doesn't mean I should do it too, but... it's going to happen whether I do it or not.

Btw, I'm SO sick of cliques... how many times have I heard the "if everyone jumped off a bridge" speech.

Can't you be a little more creative than that?

Also, you act like I don't read the news, I know about all the drunk driving accidents. That stuff scares me, and I don't know what I would do if I lost someone I loved to a careless drunk driver.

I don't want to be that person, and I hope I never will be.

I'm going to make a few changes because it's the right thing to do, not because you jerks are trying to play daddy, or A-hole boyfriend.

I hope that when or if any of you guys have kids, you don't talk to them the way you've talked to me. You DEFINITELY need some new tactics.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 4, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Also, you act like I don't read the news, I know about all the drunk driving accidents. That stuff scares me, and I don't know what I would do if I lost someone I loved to a careless drunk driver.

I don't want to be that person, and I hope I never will be.

I'm going to make a few changes because it's the right thing to do, not because you jerks are trying to play daddy, or A-hole bf.
    Obviously it didn't scare you enough. But now you say you are going to make changes so maybe our tactics are working, despite your not wanting to admt it.

Oh and by the way is clichés, not cliques.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Your right I was too harsh and crass with my statement. I apologize.

Just please stop drinking and driving .
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Jun 4, 2008, 05:54 PM
    So FAWK men like you who think you can play the daddy, or the bf role... I don't need you, and I don't need the men who left me.
    Now, I don't want to get involved in this argument very much but I have to say something...

Up until now, I was on the fence about this issue. I felt at times the advice was a little harsher than it needed to be, and I understood some of the points you made. However, I feel the message behind the advice is hard to ignore - don't drink and drive.

When I read this response from you, I got the impression that you take the rebel/independent image a little too far. I understand, and respect, independence - however I don't think you should throw away good advice for the sake of pride.

That's about all I'll say on this issue, as I'm not jumping into no-mans land.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Bigbird... I am not one to say I am sorry very often. I don't apoligize for what I said but how I said it.
    I can relate with her. I am a female whose daddy left when I was 7 and popped back in when I was 30 so I can understand the man rage thing... but hopefully that will tone down with age and understanding.lol a Little displaced with me as I am a woman.

I also understand how your dad walking out and not being there for you can cause some insecurities. But drinking is not a good way to deal with them. Being the daughter of someone with a drinking problem predisposes her to have a problem and her adamant denial is a huge sign the problem has already started.

I'll leave this thread alone now. I know she heard us whether she takes our advice or not is up to her.

Jun 4, 2008, 06:12 PM
    bushg... I wasn't questioning your advice at all, I thought it was on the mark to be honest. I just wanted to make the observation that I hope she isn't throwing away good advice because of pride.

Jun 5, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird213
    Now, I don't want to get involved in this argument very much but I have to say something...

Up until now, I was on the fence about this issue. I felt at times the advice was a little harsher than it needed to be, and I understood some of the points you made. However, I feel the message behind the advice is hard to ignore - don't drink and drive.

When I read this response from you, I got the impression that you take the rebel/independent image a little too far. I understand, and respect, independence - however I don't think you should throw away good advice for the sake of pride.

Thats about all I'll say on this issue, as I'm not jumping into no-mans land.
    Just because I REFUSE to take e from people who aren't approaching a situation in a respectful manner doesn't mean I refuse to take their advice.

I KNOW that what I've been hearing is true, and if you read the conversations I not ONCE said that they were wrong, nor did I deny that I was doing something wrong.

My problem doesn't come from the advice, it just comes from how it's being presented to me.

I feel as though just because I drink and drive that people are perceiving me as this wild child rebel who drinks, fawks, and parties all the time.

That's not me at ALL, and it's prejudice for anyone to think such a thing.

I am who I am, I'm not perfect, but I obviously care about the opinions of others, and I obviously have some moral values. If I didn't I wouldn't be here asking for help from strangers.

Jun 5, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Please don't get so defensive with me. I didn't accuse you of anything, I was simply offering my opinion on the situation - which is, after all, why you are here.

I never claimed to be right, and I even prefaced my statement by stating that "I got the impression that". I have no idea what you are like in real life, I don't know you.

If I was way off, I didn't mean any disrespect, but I won't apologize for offering my impressions.

Jun 5, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    bigbird...I am not one to say I am sorry very often. I don't apoligize for what I said but how I said it.
    I can relate with her. I am a female whose daddy left when I was 7 and popped back in when I was 30 so I can understand the man rage thing...but hopefully that will tone down with age and understanding.lol a Little displaced with me as I am a woman.

I also understand how your dad walking out and not being there for you can cause some insecurities. But drinking is not a good way to deal with them. Being the daughter of someone with a drinking problem predisposes her to have a problem and her adamant denial is a huge sign the problem has already started.

I'll leave this thread alone now. I know she heard us whether she takes our advice or not is up to her.
    I've already said that I appreciate the feedback, and that I am willing to do what it takes to make some changes.

Sometimes we know there's something wrong, but it takes an outsiders perspective to put our OWN thoughts into perspective.

Like I've said before, my problem wasn't with the advice, it was just how the advice was presented, but in the end, I got the point.

I know it sounds like I'm a man hater, and that I'm against all men... yadda yadda, but I'm not. I happen to love men, and the way they "can" be, haha.

I still talk to my dad as often as letters and telephone calls will allow. And my ex boyfriend and I remain very close friends.

The biggest issue I'm having here is that I know what an alcoholic is, I see alcoholic traits in my siblings, and in my friends... and I know for a FACT that I am not an alcoholic.

I don't need alcohol, and I don't even like to drink.

I know I said before that I drink to help with my insecurities, but that's not the case. That may have been the case when I was 18... but I am very secure with who I am now.

Do you see my profile pic? Well that IS me, and someone who is insecure wouldn't put a pic up like that.

I honestly only go out once a week, and it's because it's something for me to do with friends after class. Like women who grab a cocktail with friends after work.

It's no different.

I'm not drinking until I am passed out in the mens bathroom. I just drink to get a slight buzz, because it makes dancing that much more fun.

I know it sounds like I'm changing my story, but this is the story I should have told in the beginning, I was just so wrapped up in defending myself that I wasn't able to speak my mind clearly, and I was just fumbling over my own thoughts.

Thank you all for your time, and advice.

And for the sincere apologies.

Jun 5, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird213
    Please don't get so defensive with me. I didn't accuse you of anything, I was simply offering my opinion on the situation - which is, after all, why you are here.

I never claimed to be right, and I even prefaced my statement by stating that "I got the impression that". I have no idea what you are like in real life, I don't know you.

If I was way off, I didn't mean any disrespect, but I won't apologize for offering my impressions.
    Sorry you took my response as me being defensive.

I'm just standing my ground, and letting people know who I am, because it's clear that the only thing people know about me are my party habits.

Which are only about 5% of who I am as a person, and in my every day life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search