Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terrilee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Crust behind my ears
    I have a crust that forms behind my ears. It comes and goes but can also crack and hurt and the junction of the ear lobe and jaw. What might this be and how should I treat it?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Sounds like a little soap residue may collect there from face washing and is drying out the area. I would moisturize the area after rinsing it with clear water until it clears up in about a week or so.
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Jun 4, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Are you male or female? Regardless, are your ears pierced?

There could be many reasons for this, but maybe you could elaborate a little more?
    I have my ears pierced. But, also have very sensitive skin when it comes to jewelry. Most of the time, if I wear certain jewelry (cheap jewelry or fake gold) for longer than 12 hours on certain parts of my body (ears, arms, fingers, legs, toes-ex: toe rings), then it can cause that part of my body to itch, be irritated, and therefore-crust. This especially happens when I wear cheap earrings. Sometimes it can even cause my glands to be swolen.

Just thought I'd throw in another suggestion in case you may be able to relate.
    How to treat it: Keep the earrings out at the end of the day. Don't sleep or shower in them...
    Put peroxide on the piercing hole, and as stated previously, moisturize to keep the "crustiness" down.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Its almost like cradel cap. My son has this occasionaly. The best way I have found to fix this immediately was to put a little olive oil on a cotton swab and massage on that area. Repeat as necessary
    Joey G Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 10:02 PM
    First you need to find out the cause. Do you have problems with "dandruff". Although this is mainly on the scalp, it can migrate to the face, earlobes. If left untreated, it can thicken, then produce painful cracks on the skin. Eczema is also a possibility as is yeast infection, although this is usually moist in a tight areas. A standard that we use are cortisone based cream but in your case where dryness is an issue, I would use a cortisone ointment. This will moisturize and prevent the thick scale or crust. If the rash does not clear, see a health professional. There are potent steroids that can be prescribed. Besides you want to know what is the true cause and treatment is geared towards what caused it. Thanks. Joey G
    caseychemistry Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 02:27 AM
    Its to do with a overproduction and sensitivity of your skin to yeast produced on your scalp when you sweat ,and collects behind the ear. Just wash behind your ears after you perspire . If you have excess dandruff it also its possible you suffer from cerebral dermatitis
    KelzW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2011, 05:09 PM
    I get this stuff.. never totally cured but I used Corona Ointment. They use this stuff for animals because it is lanolin rich and an antiseptic. I used it when my kids were babies for diaper rash so I decided one day to try it behind my ears and it works! I don't use it everyday but I probably should and it is inexpensive.. about 10 bucks for 14 oz but it will last you for a few yrs. If you Google Corona ointments you will find it online or if you have a nearby farm supply store. I hope this helps... please don't be afraid to try it.
    cardee24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2011, 04:30 PM
    I get this as well. Once I was told by a nursing student that it was a vitamin deficiency. Yet because I also have psoriasis, I have a low-level prescription strength hydrocortisone cream that I use that works wonders. It certainly alleviates that raw, cut feeling and the burn that results from the cracked skin being aggravated by pulling off a shirt, etc.
    jayshelley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 06:38 AM
    All these home remedies are crap, borne of ignorance. The perps are polluting the Internet with their contaminant and should be sent to the mines to become productive members of society. The cause, and therefore the proper diagnosis, is missing.
    randallknight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 01:58 PM
    The most interesting think about this article was how the advertisement bots, put "man with no ears" and "thin crust pizza" as similar questions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Man with no ears! [ 29 Answers ]

Sadly, Tony was born without ears, and though he proved to be Successful in business, his problem annoyed him greatly. One day he needed to hire a new manager for his company, so he set up Three interviews.

Thin crust pizza [ 3 Answers ]

How big can I make this pizza dough using 1 cup of flour ? I want a thin crust

How thick is the earths crust? [ 2 Answers ]

How thick is the earths crust on an average? Thank you

Earths Crust [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the thickness, in miles, of the earths crust, and scale for scale, how thick would that leave the shell of a table tennis ball? Thank you.

View more questions Search