Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sugarbear2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Snakes Climbing
    Can snakes climb up a flat surface like the side of a brick house?
    My husband says yes. I claim no. Help us out!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Although I have never seen it personally, it is said that certain snakes with rough belly scales, like the rat snake, can climb vertical surfaces like cedar wood siding and brick homes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 07:11 AM
    I agree, they can climb some surfaces like lap siding, brick or log but not slick stuff like vinyl.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 07:16 AM
    I can't say for certain because I have never seen it with my own eyes but I lived in an area with many black snakes. My neighbor who I knew well said he saw them climb up the side of his brick house.

I googled "snakes climb side of house". There was a site "Keeping Snakes in Their Place" which led to Wildlife and Ecology. If you read far enough it says snakes can climb walls dependent on the texture of the surface.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 03:40 PM
    I have seen two snakes climb vertical surfaces--a vertical dirt bank and a smooth vertical rock surface (in a river). In each case, the snake was able to balance on its tail until its head reach the top and then pulled the rest of its body up, so it never had its whole body vertical. I don't know if they can just go up a vertical surface that's taller than their own body length. Also, both these snakes were small, less than 15 inches.
    Asking
    geh617 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 10:09 AM

There is no question in my mind at least some snakes can climb brick walls. I came home today to find a snake about a foot and a half long comfortably attached to the wall of my house over seven feet off the ground. I was hoping to use the fact it had to have climbed the brick wall to identify it so I had some idea whether I needed to kill it or how cautious I need to be of it. Can anyone tell me what kinds of snakes are likely to climb brick walls in the Houston Texas area?
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 04:45 PM

Texas rat snakes can climb.

Does it look at all like this?
    Texas Rat Snake

They are not venomous. I hope you will not kill it!
    geh617 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Thank you. It resembled the picture of the Texas Rat Snake except it had spots on top its head. I presume the snake is doing fine. It was gone thr next morning.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 02:45 PM

Maybe it left because there are rats at your house. :)
    I did not know snakes could do that. Impressive. Thanks for posting here.
    Chica4030 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2011, 02:17 PM
    I searched this up because I woke in the morning finding a snake in my mailbox and I needed to know if a snake can climb up a brick mailbox and it was a rattle snake

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snakes [ 2 Answers ]

:o I have always wondered when snakes in my area come out of hybernation. I have many leaves to clean up & have been scared by lizards & snakes enough! I live in Bangor, Pa. Can someone answer my question? Thank you for your time with this request! Wendy ;D ;D ;D ;D

Snakes [ 4 Answers ]

What type of snakes would you find in the Jungles in South America? Which ones wrap themselves around and suffocate their prey?

Tree Climbing [ 4 Answers ]

I'd like to know a simple way to get a rope over high branches, say 60-80 feet high. Any ideas ?

Snakes [ 5 Answers ]

We live on 10 acres and are currently living in a camper trailer while we renovate our home. We have garter snakes and I am terrified of them, so much so that I won't leave the camper during the day unless absolutely necessary. (I know that they are harmless and eat mice etc. etc. but suppose...

Preventing walking pests from climbing legged furnatures [ 4 Answers ]

How do I preventing walking pests (e.g. ants) from climbing legged furnatures (table)? Would rubbing some petroleum jelly on the lower portion of the table prevent the ants from climbing?

View more questions Search