Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimmeade Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 07:15 PM
    "clicking noise in pipes when shower runs"
    Every time one of our upstairs showers runs, there is a "clicking" noise that is heard from the pipes below. The "clicking" continues the entire length of the shower, and for a few minutes after showering is complete. You can't hear the clicking if you're the one showering, only if you are sitting in the living room below the bathroom. This does not occur when showers are taken in the other upstairs shower. What could be the cause? Please help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Try turning on the shower with cold water only, bet there's no clicking. Now try hot only, if there is clicking its likely a very long straight run of hot water pipe expanding from the heat of the water, possibly also sliding on the joists and rafters. Not much you can do for inside the walls but try to isolate the pipe wherever you can with a pipoe insulator.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 31, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Knocking, popping, creaking and crackling pipes are a common complaint, especially in colder weather. I can tell you what's happening and take the mystery out of it but you're not going to like the repair. When a draw is made on a hot water line the line expands against a pipe strap next to a stud and when you drain hot water from your tub or shower it goes into a chase that is a little cooler then room temperature. The heat expands the pipe causing it to rub against the stud to which it is pipe strapped. This is the sound you hear. As it cools it contracts and the noise is heard again. To repair it you must tear open the walls and locate the pipe strap that's causing the problem and shim it tight. Most people when they learn what causes it just elect to live with it. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Clicking" noise from thermostat [ 12 Answers ]

Several months ago we heard a "clicking" or snapping (like a whip) noise emanating from the thermostat in our hallway when we would put the A/C or heat on. It was an old style thermostat (dial) so we called a repairman and he said we needed to replace it with a new one. We have since had a new...

Hampton Bay 52" Avian fan clicking noise [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased two Hampton Bay 52" Avian ceiling fans. Both work fine. However, both make a constant clicking noise when the blades are rotating clockwise or counter clockwise. Any suggestions on how to fix? Do I have a defective product? Thanks for any and all help. Anthony

How do I quiet a loud "clicking" ceiling fan? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there anyway that I can fix this problem? My casablanca fan "clicks" loudly. Please tell me how to fix the problem, if it can be fixed. It is 9 years old, and I don't have the receipt anymore.

Cannot open links that require clicking on a "submit" button [ 6 Answers ]

I am not able to open links that require clicking on a button to access. My computer tries to open but what results is a blank page is displayed for a minute and then it just goes back to the original page that I start from. This happens in email as well as on direct web pages. Sometimes it...

Blower runs on "ON", but not on "Auto" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All, I have a Goodman COMBINATION HEATING AND COOLING OUTDOOR UNITS PG/PGX SERIES (100K BTU). It failed to warm the space. The fan would not run on “ON” or “Auto” mode. Upon investigating, there is no power to the unit due to 25 amps fuses blown. Replaced with new fuses. Power was...

View more questions Search