Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HGA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Bicentennial 1776-1976
    My in-laws have this coin that they think is rare, so I'd like to know if it really is... The coin/ medal is larger than a quarter and is copper (?) clad... it has what appears to be the liberty bell on one side and states "United States of America- Bicentennial"... On the other side it states "Pennsylvania" and it has the dates 1776-1976. What type of a coin/medal is it? And is it rare?
    Thank you!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Sounds like some type of commemorative coin. If you're interested in its potential commercial value, then check e-bay or other similar sites to see what they're selling for.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 11:56 PM
    I'm having some difficulty finding the coin in question online. Although, I do have a dollar coin in my collection that has a Liberty Bell on the reverse of it. But, no where is Pennsylvania mentioned. I bet that Flying Blue Eagle would know what it is though. I will let him know about your post.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 06:19 AM
    The Ben Franklin half-dollar coin (not dollar) had the Liberty bell on its reverse. It was last minted in 1963. I know of no other standard-issue coin that has the Liberty Bell on it. The only thing that possibly comes to mind is the special bicentennial issue Eisenhower silver dollar. My memory escapes me at the moment as to what design was on the reverse of that coin. Now that I think about it, it may have been the Liberty Bell.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HGA
    My in-laws have this coin that they think is rare, so I'd like to know if it really is... The coin/ medal is larger than a quarter and is copper (?) clad... it has what appears to be the liberty bell on one side and states "United States of America- Bicentennial"... On the other side it states "Pennsylvania" and it has the dates 1776-1976. What type of a coin/medal is it? and is it rare?
    Thank you!
    Hga & clough - GIVE ME A DAY OR TWO TO FIND THIS COIN. I HAVE ALREADY LOOKED AT SOME CERTAIN PLACES THAT IT COULD HAVE POSSIBLY BEEN BUT WAS'NT. No BEN fRANKLIN HALF DOLLAR WAS MADE AFTER 1963 , HE WAS ON FRONT AND BELL WAS ON BACK:: tHE kennedy HALF DOLLAR fOR 1776 -1976 HE WAS ON FRONT AND iNDEPENDENCE ON BACK ::: tHE eISENHOWER SILVER DOLLAR 1971 -1978 - HE WAS ON FRONT AND MOON AND BELL WAS ON BACK;;; I AM PRETTY SURE THAT I KNOW IN MY MIND ON THIS COIN, I JUST KNOW I HAVE SEE IT ;; I AM PRETTY SURE THAT IT IS NOT A REG. COIN IT IS A COMMEMORATIVE or SPECIAL Bicential State coin, Ive got to look it up , It will not be in the reg. coin books:( :o :o :confused:
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 01:29 AM
    Thanks, Flying Blue Eagle! I do agree that it might be a special commemorative coin. I have specimens of most of the 1776-1976 coins that were in general circulation in my collection. It doesn't seem to be one of those. It's possible that I might have an example of a special bicentennial in my collection that is connected to a particular state. Haven't located those coins yet.

Do you think that it could be one of the state coins that have been minted in very recent years and not during the bicentennial year of 1976?
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Clough _ I have already checked that one out , I thought of it also but in my mind I could not see the 1776-1976 dates on it or the liberty bell on the penn. State coin and I got one of mine out and checked for sure. There is one place I'm thinking of and that is one of the coins that was minted over the last few years for ( LIBYIA) , ITS BUGGING THE FIRE OUT OF ME <BECAUSE I KNOW THE COIN AND I Can't PLACE--HEeeeeeeLLlllp I WISH I COULD SEE THE FRONT AND BACK OF THEIR COIN< I'D BET THE LIBERTY WOULD GO OFF IN MY HEAD< DING DING. Creig ,are you going to try and post any pictures of your coins tonioght?? GOD BLESS & GOOD LUCK ;;;; F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 12:06 AM
    Not tonight for any picture posting by me, F.B.E. Lots of work stuff happening for me that I need to get done. Will post things later when I have more time.

HGA, if could post images of the front and back of the coin here, that would be helpful in providing an answer for you. If you have trouble posting the images, then we would be glad to guide you through the process of how to do that.
    fullhoney2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HGA
    My in-laws have this coin that they think is rare, so I'd like to know if it really is... The coin/ medal is larger than a quarter and is copper (?) clad... it has what appears to be the liberty bell on one side and states "United States of America- Bicentennial"... On the other side it states "Pennsylvania" and it has the dates 1776-1976. What type of a coin/medal is it? and is it rare?
    Thank you!
    Yea I have one of the coins and I am asking the same question I checked far and wide and couldn't find anything so can u or anyone of anyone help me find out if its rare or not. Im kind of sad because I worked so hard to see if I can find it but I cant:(
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 10:13 PM
    YOU-all give me a discription of both sides of the coin , if you know who is pictured on the front all writeings on front and back, all that youal can and let me work on it over the weekend Thanks and have a good day and GOD BLESS YOUAL ::: F.B.E.
    Linda48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HGA View Post
    Thank you!
    The coin mentioned sound like the one I have and have not been able to find anything about. The front of mine has the Liberty Bell with the dates 1776-1976 and then on the back it has the words" United States of America" and 1776 with two crossed flags and an Eagle. It also has a registration number and it states that it was made by The Commemorative Mint P.O. Box 8 Providence Rhode Island. Thank you in advance for any help :)
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 09:49 PM
    Hga- I went threw my book on commemoratives and I could find none like youal have described :: But now from
    { lindfsas } post above >I have something velse to go on sand I will be trying to contact that mint in providence rhoad island Monday morning <and see what I can find out : :: I hope I can let yousal know something Monday night :: Have a great weekend and god bless :: F.b.er.
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2009, 09:28 PM
    Hga & others - I have not heard from the mint in rohsad island as of yet on the coin in question << :i am going to try to make contact again in the morning m hope fully I can make progress this tim youal have a good night and god bless :::f.b.e.
    Edbt08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Aug 21, 2010, 02:08 PM

1976 Bicentennial Commemorative Medallion Set of 4 - eBay (item 200448344593 end time Sep-05-10 12:29:48 PDT). I have a medallion that is part of this four piece set. I have the founding fathers signing the declaration with a registration number from the commemorative mint
    Edbt08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Aug 21, 2010, 02:16 PM

1976 Bicentennial Commemorative Medallion Set of 4 - eBay (item 200448344593 end time Sep-05-10 12:29:48 PDT). I have a medallion that is part of this four piece set. I have the founding fathers signing the declaration with a registration number from the commemorative mint
    SouperTeacher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2011, 12:28 PM
    Comment on Linda48's post
    I have the same one you are describing... I was given this medal/coin for a wedding gift in l980. Any idea of it's worth?
    Thanks, FC
    Bubautumn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 01:22 PM
    I have a liberty one dollar coin it is 3 ins around it has the liberty bell and a moom on one side with united states of america on top and one dollar at bottem. The other side has liberty at the top and 1776 1976 with in god we trust on the left side. Ick is in the middle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1776-1976 Kennedy clad half dollar [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 1776-1976 Kennedy clad half dollar with an s mint mark that appears to be out of place, it is located just below the D in GOD and to the left of Presidents neckline. The vast major of 1776-1976 Kennedy clad half dollar have the mint mark below Presidents neckline and centered above...

Missing since 1976 about 7 months before I was born [ 7 Answers ]

I am looking for a man who has no knowledge of my existence. To the best of my knowledge his name is Rohn whitmer... Rohn is the correct spelling (first name) whitmer is only how I spell it phonetically. I know that he was in mansfield, Ohio in 1975 & 76, and was arrested at the age of 17. My...

1976-1977 world championship 7-up bottles [ 1 Answers ]

Could any one tell me how much a 8 pack of 1976-1977 world championship 7-up bottels could be worth they are full and uncapped!

1976 Dodge 2 ton truck [ 1 Answers ]

When operating any lighting circuit (including brake lights) the fuel gauge reading increases. No other instruments are affected. Any clues please. TRWE

View more questions Search