Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jon61 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Weed eater lawn mower won't start
    My weed eater brand lawn mower will not start. I used it a couple of weeks ago but now it won't run. It did get caught out in a sudden pouring rain after I used it and then ran an errand and it rained before I got back. I drained all the gas and replaced it, replaced the spark plug, cleaned the air filter and cleaned the carb. Last week before I did all of that it ran for about 10 seconds and then died but now nothing.
    Thomas Mills Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Apr 14, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Pour a small amount of fuel into the carb. Make sure it is getting spark. Leave the air filter off until it starts. Sometimes the coils go out for no reason on those. Check the spark by taking out the plug grounding to the engine pull the cord & look for a blue spark. Thomas
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 11:41 AM
    You need four things for the engine to run; fuel, spark, air, and compression. Does the engine pull usual like, or is there more resistance?
    evilpassion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    you need four things for the engine to run; fuel, spark, air, and compression. does the engine pull usual like, or is there more resistance?

I just got one of these puppies -- the guy at the store assured me they start "like butter". Have read the manual start to finish and it says to press the primer 5 times the first time and if it still won't start to adjust the throttle. HOWEVER... it never shows where the thottle is in relation to the engine breakdown, it just shows the detached piece. WHERE IS THE THROTTLE? I'm ready to throttle someone... :mad:
    hottexan75766 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 11:31 AM
    I got a Weedeater Lawn Mower and my nephews he asked me to lend him my lawnmower to mow his fiance's parents yard when he gave it back to me now all it does is acts like it wants to die I changed the oil ,changed the spark plug and cleaned the air filter and the only other conclusion I can come to is the Carb is bad I hope it's not but how can I test if it is the carb
    cyndy59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 12:17 PM
    I have to agree I have a weed eater and have used it 5 times. The 1st 2 times were fine.. but now its hard to start stalls about 100 times and I just hit a rock which folded the blade right in half. This thing is nothing but junk.. I paid about 150. For it what a waste. I was under the impression that Briggs and Stratton was the best motor going... WRONG!! :mad:
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2008, 02:38 PM
    I agree with Cyndy59. I've always bought equipment with Briggs engines but my Weedeater lawnmower was nothing but trouble pretty much since the day I got it. The entire time it would run, the engine would rev and lower, rev and lower... about drove me crazy while cutting the grass. Then I hit a small root in the yard and MANGLED my blade. I set it out at the side of the road for the trashman. My new lawnmower, my tiller and my generator all have Honda engines and they all run smooth as silk. You barely have to pull the cord on either one of them to crank. I won't be buying anything else with a Briggs engine.
    AEH56716 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Hi, I have to agree with Cyndy59, too. I have a 5.0 hp weedeater with a Briggs/stratton motor that has been nothing but trouble since the day I bought it. It turns out the handle isn't adjustable, so very difficult for my 5'2" self to use comfortable. It pulls hard when it does decide it will start, and now the cord is jammed up somehow. I can jiggle it out to about 2/3 way it needs to go to fully extend the cord, if my patience lasts the 25 minutes it took to do that. When I release it, it goes back in smoothly, but makes kind of a liquid sound while doing so, then refuses to pullout again. I tried to remove the cover, but there is some mysterious connection that is not visible to the human eye. Do I just yank, or what? (After removing the one screw I could find). Thanks for any ideas you have.
    ronmaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Have Featherlite Weedeater Hard To Start Now Will Not Start At All
    Aztec One Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 07:14 AM
    I've had my weedeater mower for one year and it has been a pain since I bought it! The thing refuses to start.I've cleaned,changed fuel ,oil and spark plug and used carb cleaner.I can get it to run if I remove the air filter,spray in some carb cleaner, crank it, then press my hand over the carb just barely allowing air in it will run but when I remove my hand it dies. What's wrong?
    turbobrnr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyndy59 View Post
    I have to agree I have a weed eater and have used it 5 times. The 1st 2 times were fine..but now its hard to start stalls about 100 times and I just hit a rock which folded the blade right in half. This thing is nothing but junk..I paid about 150. for it what a waste. I was under the impression that Briggs and Stratton was the best motor going.....WRONG!!!!:mad:
    You bent the crank. Briggs and Stratton didn't do anything wrong
    turbobrnr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jon61 View Post
    My weed eater brand lawn mower will not start. I used it a couple of weeks ago but now it won't run. It did get caught out in a sudden pouring rain after I used it and then ran an errand and it rained before I got back. I drained all the gas and replaced it, replaced the spark plug, cleaned the air filter and cleaned the carb. Last week before I did all of that it ran for about 10 seconds and then died but now nothing.
    Empty the gas tank. It could have gotten water in the gas. Drain the float bowl, also. That should do it. Watch how you put the carb back on with the gaskets and make sure that the choke lever is in the right place when hooking everything back up.
    blue77 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 03:22 AM

Weed Eater Instruction manuals are available for download from:

InstructionSheets.com - Weed Eater Instruction Sheets

Good luck
    implord Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 10:57 AM
    I have one of these lawn mowers also. Forgort it was outside and it down poured. Now it wount stay running. It has spark as it TRIES to run. As long as I sit there and press the primer or pour gas down it it runs. This is the second lawn mower from walmart. First one was a yard man or lawn man mower. Now this thing. Any clues?

I have one of these lawn mowers also. Forgort it was outside and it down poured. Now it wount stay running. It has spark as it TRIES to run. As long as I sit there and press the primer or pour gas down it it runs. This is the second lawn mower from walmart. First one was a yard man or lawn man mower. Now this thing. Any clues?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My tractor quit on me during my grass cutting. I have not been able to get it started. I've Changed the air filters, a new spark plug, a new solenoid, a new fuel filter, a new battery. When I put it on choke and try to start it, the engine turns but won't start. After that,all I hear is the...

Toro Lawn Mower Won't start [ 7 Answers ]

This lawn mower was given to me and it ran last year. I replaced the spark plug. Replaced the gas. Replaced the pin and the gaskets in the carb. I'm getting spark from the plug. Its getting plenty of gas... maybe too much?? After several attempts at starting it I removed the plug and...

Weed Trimmer(weed eater) [ 3 Answers ]

I need step by step help on re-installing a (recoil) starter rope on a weed eater. If by chance you have diagram of how to put it on , I sure would appreciate it , any info will be appreciated ty denise

Lawn chief mower won't start [ 3 Answers ]

Have a lawn chief mower that won't start. I think it is the ignition switch and not the connectors behind it. When I turned the key to run the light came on but wouldn't turn over like it did minutes before. I probably would have a hard time finding a replacement ignition switch. My question would...

Lawn mower won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1 yo Boland 4.5hp push mower. It's the cheapy. I changed the plug and it ran fine, cut the yard. The second cutting, it ran out of gas, I filled it, started it, and after 5 min it cut out and died. I ended up removing the top end cover, and cleaned all the grass and what not out. Put it...

View more questions Search