Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mching771122 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 12:17 AM
    Learn button for garage door opener remote.
    I am a female and don't know too much about this subject, but here goes...

I just purchased a Genie Model ACSGT Type 1 door opener remote through Ebay.

The instructions that came with this "used but good condition" device from the owner stated: 'Press Learn button on opener - red light will come on. Push button on remote 5 times or until opener operates." :confused:

Problem is, the owner in his hand-written instruction, did not tell me WHERE the "learn button" is for this device! :(

This probably is a simple fact... but, hey, I'm just a female who does not know anything about this subject! :)

HELP! :eek:

Mariah (damsel in distress)
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Mariah,
    I'm not familiar specifically with the Genie, but in general the Learn button will be on the opener (probably on the back) near where the other wires (wall switch, electric eyes) are hooked up. It may not even be red! There is no other purpose for a button, so if there is one at all, it should be the correct one.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 28, 2008, 05:07 PM
    With most Genie units, remove the light lens globe to expose the Learn Button on the motor head. The learn button is sometimes located on the back of the unit, or with Excelerator openers, it is under the light lens near the hinge of the lens globe. Always locate the floppy antenna wire first. The Learn Button can be found not far from this antenna.
    Attached Images

rwags1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2011, 12:05 PM
    On certain Genie openrs, such as the powerlift models, you will not find anything called a learn button. You will find three buttons; a square button and two triangular shaped buttons. If you stand under the opener facing the garager door, you will find these on the left side of the opener. These are the buttons used to set up the opener, setting the limits, speed, etc.. For setting up remotes and universal automobile openers, you will only use the square button.
    1) Press and hold the square button until some lights come on just to the left of the button. This can take up to 20 seconds.
    2) Release the button and one round light will remain on.
    3) Press and release the square button. A single blinking light should remain.
    If programming the handheld remote, press and release the button on the remote. Two lights on the opener should be blinking. Press the button on the handheld remote twice and the door should be operating.

To program universal remotes on automobiles, follow the instructions in the car's manual. These generally have three buttons on the rear view mirror or in the car's over head.
    1) First clear the universal opener by pressing and holding the two outside opens, number 1 and 3. Hold until the light in your car begins to blink rapidly. Usaully about 20 seconds. Then release.
    Park your cark near the opener, such as in the garage. Make sure your garage door is clear to operate.
    2) Perform steps 1, 3, and 3 above on the square button on the opener.
    3) You have 30 seconds to get into the car and press and release the button on car's universal you want to program. You press and release it twice. Then press it a third time and your garage door should operate.
    achipinthearmor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2012, 01:03 PM
    ^ Dude you just saved me at least $20!
    williefoo2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2013, 07:30 PM
    My neighbor can open and close my legacy garage door. This started after I bought a new car and programed its remote. My question is can I change my remote and will this keep my neighbor from being able to operate my door.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote doesn't open garage door. [ 11 Answers ]

Remote doesn't open garage door. If I press the button within the garage, it will open or close the door. The battery in the remote is new. The built in car opener doesn't work either. At one point, door would open with the remote for several days and then it wouldn't. This happened on two...

Sears Garage Door Remote [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find a supplier for the following: I would like to purchase a remote control unit for my Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener.. 2 of them came with the unit, but now a new member of the family has moved in and I would like for him to have a unit also.. The only information...

Remote garage door opener [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a home with a Craftsman remote garage door opener that is outside the garage. Model # 139.53876 with push bottons 1-0 (no # and no *). I know the old four code number but need to know how to change the code with a new code number.

Garage door learn button? [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the learn button for my craftsman garage door opener?

Garage door opener wall mount button [ 8 Answers ]

Just installed a stanley garage door opener model 810 and I tried to install the door mount button, but I'm having problems. The wall button is very similar looking like a doorbell in which I connect the 2 wires to the opener (motor). However when I connect, the door automatically opens, but when I...

View more questions Search